Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Mets Thursday 5/17

Re: Reds vs. Mets Thursday 5/17

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    You are arguing that Chapman is not qualified to start because he is currently not starting.
    Incorrect. I never suggested he wasn't qualified. I'm suggesting that he won't start because this organization is going to continue to drag their feet with how to use him until he is A) No longer with this organization; or B) He is made a reliever full-time.

If the front office wanted Chapman to start, he would be starting RIGHT NOW. What progress is Chapman making towards being a starting pitcher in his current role? NONE. It was one thing that first year to say we were going to let him get his feet wet or try to stretch him out for the rest of the season.

However, he should have been back as a starter the very next season. Our FO has botched this thing from the get-go. I was against Chapman ever moving to a relief role back when it first happened and this is exactly the reason why. The organization is not willing to sacrifice his talents in the minors so that he can develop into a starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Their bullpen is bad, I like our chances.

Only slider Chapman threw was to Baxter - where was that with the other lefties he faced?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Their bullpen is bad, I like our chances.
    Exactly why you save Chapman unless you absolutely need him. If the Reds score a couple then Chapman rests up for those left-handed Yankees' bats.

The Reds are concerned Chapman doesn't have the stamina to be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Exactly why you save Chapman unless you absolutely need him. If the Reds score a couple then Chapman rests up for those left-handed Yankees' bats.
    I can see what you're saying. I wouldn't have minded going to Ondrusek either. Late in a 1 run game against the heart of the order I'm okay with going to whoever you think is your best. Between the two, they've both been great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    The Reds are concerned Chapman doesn't have the stamina to be a starter.
    It's a solid theory to lean on for them. The fact that he's pitched 1-inning stints for the past two years probably did a lot for his stamina.

Let's get five runs this inning and make it all academic.

An extra innings game is what we don't need. I hope this is decided in 9.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Incorrect. I never suggested he wasn't qualified. I'm suggesting that he won't start because this organization is going to continue to drag their feet with how to use him until he is A) No longer with this organization; or B) He is made a reliever full-time.

If the front office wanted Chapman to start, he would be starting RIGHT NOW. What progress is Chapman making towards being a starting pitcher in his current role? NONE. It was one thing that first year to say we were going to let him get his feet wet or try to stretch him out for the rest of the season.

However, he should have been back as a starter the very next season. Our FO has botched this thing from the get-go. I was against Chapman ever moving to a relief role back when it first happened and this is exactly the reason why. The organization is not willing to sacrifice his talents in the minors so that he can develop into a starter.
    I have no problem with this - Chapman has proven to be a very solid arm in the pen for us. He needs more work in back to back games (obviously) but it's series like this where he can build up that endurance for a playoff run at the end of this season.

Other guys have been turned into starters over an off season after a season or two in the pen. This season, the teams NEEDS Chapman in the 'pen and I for one am glad his talents are not being wasted in the minors. How many games would have been lost without his abilities late in games this season already? Would you rather be a couple of games behind the division leaders or sitting dead last with your season already on the brink of being lost?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Middle of August last year when the Reds fell out of contention they should have started to acclimate Chapman to starting. No, let's keep running a sick, underperforming Arroyo out there for no reason whatsoever. I take that back. There was the all-time NL record for home runs given up chase going on.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Cozart and Stubbs both at .238.

They should put Phillips back at leadoff. For good.

Totally miscast as a cleanup hitter.

2-3-4-5 go out with only a single. Not good.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Gregorius may not be totally blocked by this Zack Cozart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    This season, the teams NEEDS Chapman in the 'pen and I for one am glad his talents are not being wasted in the minors. How many games would have been lost without his abilities late in games this season already? Would you rather be a couple of games behind the division leaders or sitting dead last with your season already on the brink of being lost?
    What about last season? What does this organization have to show over the past year-plus for Chapman having been a part of their bullpen? If they had bit the bullet last year, either Chapman would be starting games for us RIGHT NOW, or we'd know that he was not going to be able to be a starter and he'd be working in relief.

That's the problem with this organization in many ways. We want to put as many temporary band-aids on things as possible rather than coming up with a real solution. There seems to be very little foresight.

Turn Off Ads?