Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson

. . . is scheduled to make his season debut tonight, starting for Dayton. It'll be interesting to follow his development. Two years ago, holding his own in the Midwest League at the age of 19, I considered him to be in the very top group of Reds starting pitching prospects. But he was unable to pitch last year because of shoulder surgery. I don't know the extent of his injury, but shoulder surgery often takes something out of a pitcher. On the other hand, Johnson, who at 6-4 has an ample frame, is reported to be much bigger and stronger now in the upper body. His velocity was previously adequate, not great. His best assets were his poise, intelligence and command.

Glad to have him back in the picture.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jacob Johnson

Good to see him back. Where's Drew Cisco?
    Go BLUE!!!

Will the Dragons have to make a roster move to make room for him on their roster or was he already on it? I look on the Dragons page and he doesn't seem to be listed.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If the move hasn't been made yet, it is coming. I haven't gotten any roster moves sent to me yet, so my guess is that it is on its way.

I would add work ethic and commitment to do the things it takes to get better as strengths of J.J. I am looking forward to this as well. It may take him a few starts to get comfortable with really turning it loose. We'll see.

Yes, roster move coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good to see him back. Where's Drew Cisco?
    I'd say they're taking it easy with Cisco coming off surgery. My guess is he's still in 'Zona in extended ST and will probably start him off in Billing, the AZL or possibly add him to Dayton after the draft.

I believe it's expected for Cisco to make his debut in Billings.

Just a little bump here, because Johnson's two starts have been highly encouraging: 10 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K. Obviously, the strikeouts aren't exactly what you're looking for, but I'm willing to overlook that for the time being--considering that the guy is coming off shoulder surgery that made him miss a season-plus.

The overriding point, for me, is that he has been able to return with plenty of stuff to get batters out. Everything else about Johnson--his size, his makeup, his pitchability, his career track--has been above question. Put it all together and I'm about ready to return Johnson to his place among the top half-dozen or so starters in the organization. Possibly just behind Sulbaran and Lotzkar (who, of course, are just behind Cingrani, Corcino and maybe Stephenson, depending on how you value guys who haven't yet thrown a professional pitch.)

We're all anxious to get a look at Cisco and Vaughn Covington; and I think Justice French might be bidding for a spot among the big boys. In the meantime, it looks to me like Johnson is fast re-establishing his prospect status. And I think it's a significant development for the organization.

dp
    Last edited by mace; 05-25-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Just a little bump here, because Johnson's two starts have been highly encouraging: 10 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K. Obviously, the strikeouts aren't exactly what you're looking for, but I'm willing to overlook that for the time being--considering that the guy is coming off shoulder surgery that made him miss a season-plus.

The overriding point, for me, is that he has been able to return with plenty of stuff to get batters out. Everything else about Johnson--his size, his makeup, his pitchability, his career track--has been above question. Put it all together and I'm about ready to return Johnson to his place among the top half-dozen or so starters in the organization. Possibly just behind Sulbaran and Lotzkar (who, of course, are just behind Cingrani, Corcino and maybe Stephenson, depending on how you value guys who haven't yet thrown a professional pitch.)

We're all anxious to get a look at Cisco and Vaughn Covington; and I think Justice French might be bidding for a spot among the big boys. In the meantime, it looks to me like Johnson is fast re-establishing his prospect status. And I think it's a significant development for the organization.

Turn Off Ads?