Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Aroldis Chapman

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Aroldis Chapman

I don't get the infatuation with him being a starter. When he was is Cuba he pitched 4 years, in those 4 years he had 63 games started and pitched in 76 games. In 06-07 he had 7 saves. The most innings he has pitched in 1 year is 118, now I don't know how many games they play in a year, but he pitched in 22 games and started 20 in 2008/2009. Thats just over 5 innings a game. His opponents batting average was .252 and era was 4.03, that's not that impressive. His other years are about the same. The more I look at his numbers, the more I think he should be groomed as the next closer. I'm all for him getting a shot at starting, but Imho I think he will be better as a closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aroldis Chapman

To me right now, he is elite power closer. Maybe he could start, maybe. He had stamina problems in AAA during the 2010 season which was noticeable by June. His velocity would crash about the time he hit 80-90 pitches. I think the Reds noticed it as well and made the move to the pen.

On the otherhand, Bailey has shown the ability to keep his velocity from pitch 1-114 pretty consistant over a number of starts, even when he is throwing 97mph. Nobody is perfect and you may fall off(Latos has been doing that this year) in velocity as you hit pitch 100 at times, but you can't just tumble at pitch 87.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I don't get the infatuation with him being a starter. When he was is Cuba he pitched 4 years, in those 4 years he had 63 games started and pitched in 76 games. In 06-07 he had 7 saves. The most innings he has pitched in 1 year is 118, now I don't know how many games they play in a year, but he pitched in 22 games and started 20 in 2008/2009. Thats just over 5 innings a game. His opponents batting average was .252 and era was 4.03, that's not that impressive. His other years are about the same. The more I look at his numbers, the more I think he should be groomed as the next closer. I'm all for him getting a shot at starting, but Imho I think he will be better as a closer.
    Chapman was just a "baby" at time in terms of his baseball development. Throw out just about any pitcher in history and let's look at their early career BA and ERA.

The reason many question why he isn't in the rotation doesn't have as much to do with career stats as it does with his stuff and the massive investment a small- to mid-market team like the Reds made to sign him. Nobody in their right mind pays a guy $30M to be a setup man. Or a closer, for that matter. That's a ridiculously inefficient use of funds that could be used to improve the team in 2-3 other spots.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Chapman was just a "baby" at time in terms of his baseball development. Throw out just about any pitcher in history and let's look at their early career BA and ERA.

The reason many question why he isn't in the rotation doesn't have as much to do with career stats as it does with his stuff and the massive investment a small- to mid-market team like the Reds made to sign him. Nobody in their right mind pays a guy $30M to be a setup man. Or a closer, for that matter. That's a ridiculously inefficient use of funds that could be used to improve the team in 2-3 other spots.
    But its not like they are using his salary as an excuse to not sign people, plus I think it would be an excellent use having him as a closer. But like I said, give him a chance to start and see what he can do, if it doesn't work, make him the closer. If he got a chance to start and failed, would it still be a waste of money having him close? If so, what are we to do trade him? I wouldn't, I'd make him the closer. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

Plus many pitchers have done way better than his numbers as a starter in Cuba as a "baby", so you can't really use that as an end all excuse.

Do you have his Little League stats?

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Do you have his Little League stats?

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Thanks.
    No, but I'm sure he was used as a closer!!! Why you on the edge of your seat...hemorrhoids?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    But its not like they are using his salary as an excuse to not sign people, plus I think it would be an excellent use having him as a closer. But like I said, give him a chance to start and see what he can do, if it doesn't work, make him the closer. If he got a chance to start and failed, would it still be a waste of money having him close? If so, what are we to do trade him? I wouldn't, I'd make him the closer. Just my opinion.
    I could live with that, but my personal feeling is that closers are kind of like running backs in football -- a dime a dozen. When you get a great one, it's awesome, but most of them are ordinary and don't merit the investment.

If Chapman can't pitch much on back-to-back days or occasionally on three straight, there's not much sense in making him a closer IMHO.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

EMAW

As evidenced by his stats, the role he is in may be a good fit? A unique talent that is an All-Star.

A weapon in the bullpen, but not effective going multiple days in a row.
    A potential TOR starter but needs another pitch.

Both have drawbacks, but if he's going to make that kind of money he ought to at least have a shot at starting and the closer role would make a decent plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    A weapon in the bullpen, but not effective going multiple days in a row.
    A potential TOR starter but needs another pitch.

Both have drawbacks, but if he's going to make that kind of money he ought to at least have a shot at starting and the closer role would make a decent plan B.
    A 6yr $30 million dollar contract isn't that much. 5 million a year, I believe thats less than what we are paying our setup guy who is closing now, im not sure. Plus they are paying him all the way until 2020. I was also reading that the contract is void after 2013 if he becomes arbitration eligible. I'm just sayin its not such a bad idea having him in the pen.

No stretching out Chapman for starting this year?

“The longer we go, it will be harder to stretch (Aroldis Chapman) to start,” said Reds GM Walt Jocketty to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Chapman has not allowed a run in 20 1/3 innings this season with 34 strikeouts and seven walks. “We may be resigned to the fact that he will have to pitch in the bullpen all year," added the GM.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Turn Off Ads?