Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman being sued for $18M

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman being sued for $18M

I'm calling gross exaggeration based on little or no evidence.

"...To this day, I’m convinced that Chapman was working with State Security. It’s known that he had a meeting with Raul Castro. My husband isn’t the only one imprisoned because of Chapman. He was the principal witness in the case, and his statement was full of lies. That’s the only way they’d let him return to the Cuban team.”
    Being convinced of something is not evidence that anything of the sort actually occurred. Certainly not when it comes to the court system. Chapman's millions make him an easy mark, though.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

I like one of the comments at the bottom:

When reporters asked Ozzie Guillen about this he said "I friggen love Aroldis Chapman!"

I am just completely unsure how you would go about proving any of this. It isn't like Cuba is going to cooperate.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

It sounds to me like someone thinks Aroldis Chapman might be guilty of something, and the only way to get compensated for it is to sue him and hope it's a winning lottery ticket.

The chances of this getting very far are pretty low. Though the rules for evidence in civil cases are somewhat looser than for criminal cases, there does still need to be something approximating proof. I was wrongfully sued in civil court once with the same kind of "evidence" being brought forth; the judge basically laughed the plaintiff out of the courtroom (and we won damages in a countersuit...long unpleasant story for another time).

Okay, I may be missing something here. But it sounds like this all occurred in Cuba. How exactly can you file a lawsuit against someone over something that happened in a different country? Especially one that's completely uncooperative with the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Okay, I may be missing something here. But it sounds like this all occurred in Cuba. How exactly can you file a lawsuit against someone over something that happened in a different country? Especially one that's completely uncooperative with the US?
    Possibly the Torture Victim Protection Act?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Possibly the Torture Victim Protection Act?
    Would that apply to a witness in a case, rather than the people actually torturing the person?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Would that apply to a witness in a case, rather than the people actually torturing the person?
    Honestly, I don't know. I've heard of the Alien Tort Claims Act as well as the Torture Victim Protection Act, but I have no experience with them. If they allege that he was complicit in the torture, maybe it would apply? As is always the case though, it only takes a few hundred bucks to file a lawsuit.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Does this have anything to do with the mystery distraction from 2011?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I like one of the comments at the bottom:
    Ozzie better be careful about endorsing those Reds.

What exactly is he accused of doing? In simple terms for a simple man please.

This sure looks like a money grab to me. Since when do US police arrest people when Raul Castro asks them to? Unfortunately this is a case where Aroldis is learning a lesson in $$. If you have it you are a target for these sorts of scams. Let's hope he gets good representation and fights it tooth and nail. Spend some of your money on Lawyers, Aloldis. I know it sucks but that's the price you pay...

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

What exactly is he accused of doing? In simple terms for a simple man please.
    Kal, it seems that he's being accused of giving information to the Cuban government that resulted in the arrest of a man, then delivering false testimony at the man's trial which played a large part in his eventual incarceration. The man's wife is the one filing the suit. At least this is how I understand it. I could be wrong.

I know we have at least one lawyer here (Kc61, maybe?) that could possibly shed some light on this.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?