Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 5/18/12 - Reds at Yankees

Re: 5/18/12 - Reds at Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't think its an overhaul. Its a fine tuning. It could even be as simple as moving Phillips back to leadoff and move Bruce into cleanup and run with it. Dump Ludwick, get a replacement. Could he be any worse? Its a tweak, not an overhaul. But it is broken down. Like a car, it needs to go into the shop, but that doesn't mean the engine is blown. A simpler fix can often get the thing running right again.
    Maybe they could just go down to their AAA team and bring up the hottest bat of the season so far, which is . . . Paul Janish. . . . Never mind.

Seriously, I think you're right. They are not that far off. I was being overly optimistic in a post above in talking about the impact a real masher in the middle of the lineup could have (adding a Dave Parker or Kevin Mitchell type from the good old days!), but the changes you mention could have an impact. Those changes along with perhaps shaking things up by finally fulfilling my dream and sending Dust in the Wind, blown away from Cincy and never seen again.

I close my eyes
    Only for a moment and the moment's gone
    All my dreams
    Pass before my eyes a curiosity

Dust in the wind
    All we need is dust in the wind

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5/18/12 - Reds at Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    I think if the Reds had a top-flight, right-handed cleanup hitter at 3rd or in left, it would make a huge difference. If they had a younger, healthy Rolen, for instance, the Rolen of the first half of 2010, they would be much more difficult to handle and a strong contender for the division title.
    The last thing they need is another RH hitter. They should have dumped Ludwick and signed Bobby Abreu. I think they just need some tweaks.

Here's a crazy thought:

I wonder if they can draft an OF next month that can hit and play LF better than Ludwick? Maybe grab a guy whose signability has caused him to drop and then grab him in the middle of the 1st rd and lure him into signing a contract by dangling a major league deal and showing him the easy path to a starting job. That could be worth more than a signing bonus. OK, probably not but it's a nice thought

Turn Off Ads?