Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It could be worse...

It could be worse...

We are a .500 team...why all the gloom? As my friend tells me there is zero we can do about it so why not just sit back and not worry about the W/L's and just enjoy the game of baseball...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It could be worse...

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    We are a .500 team...why all the gloom? As my friend tells me there is zero we can do about it so why not just sit back and not worry about the W/L's and just enjoy the game of baseball...
    Good idea. It has worked for the Pirates for about 20 Years.

What are we? 35 games into the season? Gonna be a long season guys and this team will get hot and then cold again. So will the other 29 teams. Just because we lost to the most notorious baseball team in the world tonight doesn't mean much.

Because our offense is arguably the worst in the NL and shows no signs of improving. Eventually the starting pitching will stop being good due to lack of run support and then u are looking at a 75 win team.

While we did make Pettite look like it's 1996 again, it's not just about one game. It's maddening watching a manager write out a poorly thought out lineup and trot the same guys who strike out day after day after day with no repercussions no matter how horridly a player under performs.

I just think there's something fundamentally flawed with our hitting philosophy. Some of these guys are super streaky, which happens...but I think it's a symptom of a much worse problem: our hitters take a month of longer to make adjustments, if they make them at all. This has been a problem for YEARS.

Churning out successful major leaguers at a consistent basis is a combination of scouting, philosophy and coaching. I think right now we're getting one out of those three things right: scouting.

We draft ridiculously talented guys with high ceilings and we pick up free agents that can be productive if used and coached correctly...but we only ever see 1/3 of them come close to hitting their potential. I know we're a young team, but a lot of guys have been spinning their wheels since they've been brought up. Ask yourself honestly: Would players like Bruce, Stubbs, Mesoraco and Heisey be performing much better in St. Louis than they do here? In all seriousness I think the answer is yes. And I don't want this to come across as a temper tantrum or some kind of jerk reaction...but it's frustrating to watch knowing that this team could compete with what they have NOW if only a few holes in the lineup were filled and the guys we currently have were progressing. We have the foundation to completely take over the NL Central RIGHT NOW and leave the Cardinals and the Brewers in the dust, but the same issues on offense rear their ugly heads every season and nothing ever seems to get fixed.

Making xeroxes of Votto's copy of "The Science of Hitting" and passing them out could do this team a favor. Now, I'm not saying a 42 year old book written by a guy who died a decade ago would make a better hitting coach than Brook Jacoby...but you gotta wonder.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Good idea. It has worked for the Pirates for about 20 Years.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

The most frustrating part of it for me is that for years we could score runs but had no pitching. Now we finally have a decent starting staff and the offense is non-existant. I just scratch my head and echo joshua's thoughts.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

I still contend the Reds offense would be OK if their players and resources were used correctly. My main beef with Dusty Baker is his handling of the batting order. There is no continuity for players on a daily basis as guys are moved up and down at whim, cannot get consistent playing time, and used in order spots that don't work for them.

Zack Cozart, while impressive as a rookie, should not be batting leadoff or second. Stubbs has no business batting first or second either. How Votto & Bruce do not bat 3-4 with the other lack of power bats if frustrating. Ryan Hanigan, the team's 2nd best OBP guy and a .300 hitter bats 8th for christ's sake.

Instead of all the monkeying around if the lineup was given some stability and consistency I think guys would perform better. Pete Rose had an interesting quote where he thought one key skill the 70's Reds teams had was every guy knew their position, playing time, and batting order every day they came to the park. I'd love to see if a similar approach would work for this year's team.

BP
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Cozart

Try that lineup for 2 straight weeks and see what happens. You'd probably be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Because our offense is arguably the worst in the NL and shows no signs of improving. Eventually the starting pitching will stop being good due to lack of run support and then u are looking at a 75 win team.
    So we enjoy those 75 wins and support our team in the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I still contend the Reds offense would be OK if their players and resources were used correctly. My main beef with Dusty Baker is his handling of the batting order. There is no continuity for players on a daily basis as guys are moved up and down at whim, cannot get consistent playing time, and used in order spots that don't work for them.

Zack Cozart, while impressive as a rookie, should not be batting leadoff or second. Stubbs has no business batting first or second either. How Votto & Bruce do not bat 3-4 with the other lack of power bats if frustrating. Ryan Hanigan, the team's 2nd best OBP guy and a .300 hitter bats 8th for christ's sake.

Instead of all the monkeying around if the lineup was given some stability and consistency I think guys would perform better. Pete Rose had an interesting quote where he thought one key skill the 70's Reds teams had was every guy knew their position, playing time, and batting order every day they came to the park. I'd love to see if a similar approach would work for this year's team.

But we have no ability to change the lineup and we have seen that Dusty is comfortable with it wait is, so let's just enjoy the talents and the fun of the game.

BP
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Cozart

Try that lineup for 2 straight weeks and see what happens. You'd probably be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    So we enjoy those 75 wins and support our team in the rest...

Who are you and what did you do with brm?

Turn Off Ads?