Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 334

Thread: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

  1. #316
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Notice how the Yankees have such a fabulous balance of righty hitters, lefty hitters, switch hitters.
    They also have a $200 million payroll, so I'm not surprised at their fabulous balance.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #317
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    I was at the game, and it was a strange one. 15k's ... A lot of reds hitters looked lost. Bailey looked good, though. A lot of Reds fans in the house ... Good to see. A few I talked to after the game think Marshall and Chapman should switch roles, and I tend to agree.

    On another note, this is the first Yankees game that I've been to where they've lost since an early 90s game against the A's when Stump Merrill was manager.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  4. #318
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    For those who watched on TV - how close was the Jeter play at first in the 9th? I thought for sure the game was over.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  5. #319
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,823

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I give up.

    We don't "know" anything. That doesn't justify doing dumb things.
    Well you do seem to know a lot....as you have stated over and over that Chapman will not start unless a few pitchers bet lost on a Bermuda triangle boating trip. Even though Walt has stated the plan was to try and get him to start later in the year....but I guess you believe more what Baker says.

  6. #320
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,255

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Well you do seem to know a lot....as you have stated over and over that Chapman will not start unless a few pitchers bet lost on a Bermuda triangle boating trip. Even though Walt has stated the plan was to try and get him to start later in the year....but I guess you believe more what Baker says.
    He'll start next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  7. #321
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,823

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He'll start next year.
    How will he be able to do that without building up his innings? Going 2 inning saves? He has trouble on multiple days......as has been his small history of trying to go back to back.....and now it will be more than just back to back.

    I like the idea of him going 2 innings to close a game out every other day or so myself...to build up the innings.

  8. #322
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How will he be able to do that without building up his innings? Going 2 inning saves? He has trouble on multiple days......as has been his small history of trying to go back to back.....and now it will be more than just back to back.

    I like the idea of him going 2 innings to close a game out every other day or so myself...to build up the innings.
    Numerous pitchers went from relieving to starting in one season without any issues. One thing to remember, when Chapman pitched for Cuba, he pitched all year round, we only have records of when he pitched in the official summer league. He should have no problems getting stretched out.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #323
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,823

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Numerous pitchers went from relieving to starting in one season without any issues. One thing to remember, when Chapman pitched for Cuba, he pitched all year round, we only have records of when he pitched in the official summer league. He should have no problems getting stretched out.
    Well I read a lot of posts how this is not going to work...and he cannot just take on that many innings...blah blah. Look I think he can of course......I also think eh can be a 2 inning closer and save your bullpen, while you have another option to go on other days like...still Marshall and Jose or even Logan.

    But that is how I would try and manage it....no way Dusty does that.

  10. #324
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Well I read a lot of posts how this is not going to work...and he cannot just take on that many innings...blah blah. Look I think he can of course......I also think eh can be a 2 inning closer and save your bullpen, while you have another option to go on other days like...still Marshall and Jose or even Logan.

    But that is how I would try and manage it....no way Dusty does that.
    I agree, bullpen by committee makes the most sense. But Dusty likes set roles. Makes his job easier. He hates closer by committee. We'll see...
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  11. #325
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,396

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    For those who watched on TV - how close was the Jeter play at first in the 9th? I thought for sure the game was over.
    It was a close play, but I thought they got the call right. Chris Welsh thought so, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  12. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,126

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    It looked to me as if the Yankees were simply waiting for fastballs from Marshall in the belief that he would eventually throw one. They were right. They took a number of good curve balls for strikes, but when he came in with the FB, they didn't miss it. Maybe Marshall shouldn't throw the FB for a strike. Pattern bears watching.

  13. #327
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    It was a close play, but I thought they got the call right. Chris Welsh thought so, too.
    Thanks. There was no replay in the stadium.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  14. #328
    a Red in Yankeetown elfmanvt07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    339

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Thanks. There was no replay in the stadium.
    Being at the stadium, I thought that was a telling argument toward a bad call. Are you going today?
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

    I look like a banker in this...

  15. #329
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: 5/19/12 - Reds at Yankees

    Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Being at the stadium, I thought that was a telling argument toward a bad call. Are you going today?
    No. I was only able to manage one Mets game and on Yankees game. Too much other stuff going on. Should be a good one today. Although if they k'd 15 times against Nova and Phelps, I hate to see what CC will do. I guess the Reds proved yesterday that strikeouts don't matter.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  16. #330
    a Red in Yankeetown elfmanvt07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    No. I was only able to manage one Mets game and on Yankees game. Too much other stuff going on. Should be a good one today. Although if they k'd 15 times against Nova and Phelps, I hate to see what CC will do. I guess the Reds proved yesterday that strikeouts don't matter.
    This is my fifth in five days. Aren't they back in June sometime?
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

    I look like a banker in this...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25