Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it at all possible that a couple mods could be added for The Sun Deck?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Is it at all possible that a couple mods could be added for The Sun Deck?

At the moment that sub-forum is just absolutely unbearable. I understand why the boards are split and why you'd like to vet users here before they can post on the main board...but many are finding that quality discussion is near impossible on The Sun Deck currently. There's just no standard for discussion there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it at all possible that a couple mods could be added for The Sun Deck?

It's something we can discuss, but the only issue I see is the Sun Deck moderators would have to have no interest in joining the ORG so we're not shuffling moderators in that forum.

Why not just have some additional mods from the org?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Why not just have some additional mods from the org?
    Truthfully, it's been challenging enough to find qualified candidates in the ORG that want to moderate that forum, so I don't think it's likely they'll want to moderate a forum they can't post in.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Truthfully, it's been challenging enough to find qualified candidates in the ORG that want to moderate that forum, so I don't think it's likely they'll want to moderate a forum they can't post in.
    Why not allow moderators to post in the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Would help raise discourse, provide an example of what SD members should be striving for, and clean up the board a bit in one fell swoop.

On the other hand, it's more ... uhh ... 'dialogue' for your mods to sift through.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Stat geek...and proud
    It would be in the best interests of the board as a whole to fix things there, whether it's through mods or whatever. There's some decent stuff there at times, but a lot of crap to sift through. Honestly, if I didn't have ORG access, I would probably stop posting here. There may be some really intelligent posters who would be able to contribute in the ORG who see the way the Deck is and run away. I'm sure the powers that be here will come up with something to keep RZ the great place it's always been.

Thank you for the feedback. We will discuss and make a decision on how to proceed. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't see the harm in that at all. In fact I would think it would be a must to keep things on track.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

-The Insider-

I'd volunteer. I'm probably not best qualified, but I would have fun trying to get the Sun Deck people to have riveting conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Would help raise discourse, provide an example of what SD members should be striving for, and clean up the board a bit in one fell swoop.

On the other hand, it's more ... uhh ... 'dialogue' for your mods to sift through.

You've pinpointed exactly what I need in my life- "an example of what I should be striving for".

I enjoy Sundeck and and I see no need for "discourse to be raised". We've been through this all before on other forums (including ORG) where someone got their feelings hurt or didn't have the ability to ignore others or deal with them.

On the other hand, from a slight skimming of ORG, I would't say that the discourse is that high over there either.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.

As a Sundecker, my problem with Sundeck isn't the absence of intelligence discussion; it's the abundance of over-reaction.

Case in point, Joshua and and TexasDave are some of the more cool headed, fact based posters and could easily be posting in ORG in due time. If you don't read Sundeck often, it's easy to overlook their posts in favor of the knee jerk "I hope Rolen doesn't come back" or "The Cards are Toast" threads. Usually it's just the wrong people creating the wrong threads, and usually those threads end up creating arguments.

A lot of Sundeckers probably haven't been following baseball very long, and plucking the good posters from that forum has led to its demise. I'm not for or against RZ having an elite forum and a novice forum - it's a novelty. But if the elite posters all post in ORG, it shouldn't come as a surprise that by comparison, Sundeck is going to have less quality on average, and I'm not sure how moderators are going to be able to change that.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The fact of the matter is that it is an internet world. These boards are set-up to promote discussions. You can in no way have your cake and eat it too. It aint like the 3,000+ members of this site gather every Sunday and know each other on a "real name" basis. I find the site quite unique myself and is by far the best Reds board there is. You gotta take the good with the bad. For a site to succeed it takes more good than bad. From what I have seen of the site, it is a helluva lot more good than bad. Lack of moderation is the key, let guys express themselves however they want to as long as it doesnt break the rules. Just my nickel's worth.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still think the board was tons better when users could post in both forums. The sundeck is a shell of what it used to be and so is the ORG given that the posters are generally the same group it has been for years now with only small sprinklings of new users. I can't imagine the good users we have likely lost due to their unwillingness to deal with what goes on within the sundeck for 6 months so they could try to join the ORG.

I have posted an announcement with details on applying to become a Sun Deck moderator.

Turn Off Ads?