Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Central discussion

NL Central discussion

I didn't want to put this in the Scoreboard Thread so I think there should be thread dedicated to things going on in the central. What the schedule looks like for various teams, injury news, discussion of important up coming games, etc.

I'm looking at this weeks schedule and as bad as the Cards are playing right now, they could gain some ground on the Reds. Just by pure luck, the Cards are playing one of the worst teams in baseball, the Padres, while the Reds are playing probably the best team I have seen thus far this year in the Braves.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NL Central discussion

Also, don't look now but your Pittsburgh Pirates are only 3 games back. They play a tough match up early this week with the Mets, who are surprisingly decent.

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They're the Pirates. They're a lock to lose 90 games from now until the sun expands.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If the Pirates beat the Cards or the Reds this season it's the fault of the Cards and the Reds.

They'll be very lucky to go .500 or anywhere close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If the Pirates beat the Cards or the Reds this season it's the fault of the Cards and the Reds.

They'll be very lucky to go .500 or anywhere close to it.
    They tend to give teams a tough time though the past couple of years. I, for one, am not going to overlook them especially with how bad the Central is this year. Of course, I'm the one who predicted the Astros were going to be a good team last year so what do I know?

Mike Shannon

I just noticed this looking at the overall standings. Here are what teams in the Central have done the last ten games:

Cardinals 2-8
    Reds 5-5
    Pittsburgh 5-5
    Houston 4-6
    Mil-Town 4-6
    Baby Bears 2-8

This might be the NFC West of divisions in baseball.

Mike Shannon

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

The Pirates are playing way over their heads based on pitching. That probably won't last. I still hate and fear them because they can ruin a season. I knew the Cards weren't that good and the Reds that bad early on. And don't discount your next opponent, because they're tough at home.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The Pirates are playing way over their heads based on pitching. That probably won't last. I still hate and fear them because they can ruin a season. I knew the Cards weren't that good and the Reds that bad early on. And don't discount your next opponent, because they're tough at home.
    The Padres are playing in St. Louis. It's an odd schedule that a team goes to the west coast then goes home the next series only to play another west coast team. I wonder if MLB just throws darts at a dartboard sometimes to pick which teams face each other.

Mike Shannon

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

That is strange. I just assumed...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Put me down on the record as overlooking the Pirates. They don't scare me as an NL Central contender....this year.

The Pirates are -32 in run differential, Mike. I'm not too concerned about them, at least not right now.

If there's any dark horse in the NLC it's probably Houston, believe it or not. They are actually +3 in run differential right now, and have been on the plus side most of the season. I wouldn't rule them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

I guess for me, I'm looking at things short term rather than long term. I know they probably won't even be a 3rd place team in the Central but for the short term, 3 games back is enough for me to take at least some notice of them.

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Put me down on the record as overlooking the Pirates. They don't scare me as an NL Central contender....this year.
    I'll never over look the Pirates b/c they OWNED us last year.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I'll never over look the Pirates b/c they OWNED us last year.
    Yeah that was hard to swallow but certainly possible in a small sample size. Now as for the Bucs winning the division (my point), not this year.

Don't overlook the Bucs! They are young, talented and hungry... Okay, they're young and hungry, but still, don't count them out.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?