Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lance Berkman considering retirement?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Lance Berkman considering retirement?

So says mlbtraderumors: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...etirement.html

"You think about it when you have a potentially major surgery at this stage of your career. But, again, right now we don't know what it is. But it gives you pause," the first baseman said. "I don't think it's one of those deals where you sit out a week and see where your are. I think it's much more serious than that." - Lance Berkman
    Makes me wonder about Rolen too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lance Berkman considering retirement?

I agree on both fronts. Sucks to be potential HOF players end their careers due to injury, and it seems to have been happening a lot this year.

-Matt

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

After the season perhaps, too much money at stake for both.
    $12 million Berkman, $6.5 mm for Rolen.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    After the season perhaps, too much money at stake for both.
    $12 million Berkman, $6.5 mm for Rolen.
    If each is seriously hurt enough to not play again this season, they could "retire" because they can't play and still collect their money. Technically they don't retire becuase to do so would mean they don't get paid. But it's reoprted as such.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I agree on both fronts. Sucks to be potential HOF players end their careers due to injury, and it seems to have been happening a lot this year.

-Matt
    This is a risk to signing older ballplayers. More often than not retirements happen because the visits to the DL become too frequent. Very few get to go out like Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson. A 1Bman Berkman's age has a much greater chance of injuring a knee in a "stretch" play than one Joey Votto's age. Teams like the Cardinals and Yankees know they're rolling the dice by going with so many older players

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Teams like the Yankees know they're rolling the dice by going with so many older players
    YANKEES? HUH?

Even though he killed us as a Astro and then eventually signed with the Cardinals I always had a soft spot for Lance. I hope things work out where he doesn't need to make that decision.

Reports that it is an ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Reports that it is an ACL.
    Wow that sucks. Matt Adams is one of their top prospects and was going to be the Cards first baseman of the future but I don't think they wanted to start the clock on him until next season. It's going to be interesting to see how well he does at the major league level, at least until Allen Craig comes back.

I will be sad to see Berkman go if he does retire. I disliked him for all those years when he played in Houston because he seemed to kill the Cards. Now, seeing him play on a daily basis, I've really grown to appreciate him. He was the glue that held the club house together last year and was a guy you could easily root for.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Wow that sucks. Matt Adams is one of their top prospects and was going to be the Cards first baseman of the future but I don't think they wanted to start the clock on him until next season. It's going to be interesting to see how well he does at the major league level, at least until Allen Craig comes back.

I will be sad to see Berkman go if he does retire. I disliked him for all those years when he played in Houston because he seemed to kill the Cards. Now, seeing him play on a daily basis, I've really grown to appreciate him. He was the glue that held the club house together last year and was a guy you could easily root for.
    Mr. Adams is a bit husky. I'm wondering if he is going to look like Prince Fielder in a couple of years.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Mr. Adams is a bit husky. I'm wondering if he is going to look like Prince Fielder in a couple of years.
    If he gives the Cards Prince Fielder like production, I'll be happy with it. Yeah, nobody is mistaking Matt Adams for Dee Gordon He's a big burly dude that's projected to hit in the middle of the lineup for years.

Sad news for one of the great Astros of all time.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If he gives the Cards Prince Fielder like production, I'll be happy with it. Yeah, nobody is mistaking Matt Adams for Dee Gordon He's a big burly dude that's projected to hit in the middle of the lineup for years.
    Adams has done nothing but produce in the minors, but that hasn't stopped Prospect Projectors from being "meh" on him.

His K/W ratio in the minors isn't that great, and his size and mobility has obviously caused some concern.

I expect that he'll hit reasonably well, but more likely a .850 OPS guy with limited intangibles like running and defense.

For every Fielder that exceeds in the majors, there are hundreds of other Chunksters that never get a sniff.

But he's done nothing but rake in the minors and publications like Baseball America often prefer tools over production. To their detriment sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Adams has done nothing but produce in the minors, but that hasn't stopped Prospect Projectors from being "meh" on him.

His K/W ratio in the minors isn't that great, and his size and mobility has obviously caused some concern.

I expect that he'll hit reasonably well, but more likely a .850 OPS guy with limited intangibles like running and defense.

For every Fielder that exceeds in the majors, there are hundreds of other Chunksters that never get a sniff.

But he's done nothing but rake in the minors and publications like Baseball America often prefer tools over production. To their detriment sometimes.
    Left handed Steve Balboni? That is who he reminded me of at first glance.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Berkman has torn ACL. He's done for the season and maybe career.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...l-miss-season/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?