Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outfield Options

Outfield Options

I'm going to start with a series of posts about the options the reds have to fix their struggling Left Field spot since everyone knows dusty will never let heisey get a real chance. I'll give my top 5 options i could see happening Via Trade, Remaining FAs, and the Internal options.

FREE AGENTS
    1. Aaron Rowand- He's the best avalible guy out there, so that isn't saying much
    2. Milton Bradley- questionable ablilty to play in the field at best, plus he's a cancer in the clubhouse
    3. Marcus Thames- Even less career success than Bradley also questionable in the field
    4. Ross Gload- Mainly played at 1B through out his career
    5. J.D. Drew- he's supposedly retired otherwise i would say he would be the best option.

TRADE
    1. Kevin Youkilis- He hasn't played much OF but bring him in put him at third and let Frazier play in the OF
    2. Carlos Lee- he can still hit but can he play the OF and will the Astros paty some salary
    3. Austin Kerns- Platoon him with Heisey? he can seriously smash some lefties so would he be worth making a deal for?
    4. Seth Smith- with Manny getting ready to get back into the majors the A's could get rid of him in their traditional fashion and bring in a few young guys.
    5. Matt Diaz- Same as Kerns just a different team

INTERNAL
    1. Neftali Soto- He was a SS when the reds brought him in and moved him to 1B due to defense so why not see if he can play LF?
    2. Ryan LaMarre- He is a true CFer but if need be he could probably play left then platoon Heisey and stubbs in CF
    3. Dennis Phipps- He was amazing through the minors last year moving up three levels to AAA he's off to a slow start but had a sensational spring
    4. Danny Dorn- He is a big strong lefty who can play 1B, RF, and LF he has to be worth a shot
    5. Yorman Rodriguez- VERY RAW he's got alot of upside but is no where near ready for the show.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Outfield Options

I'm just wondering why you even bothered including Yorman. You might as well put Bryson Smith or Donald Lutz. They don't have the ceiling Yorman has, but with the way they're performing, they're not necessarily 4+ years from being a pro like he looks to be right now.

Edited to add:the I'm not saying they're legitimate options right now either.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Heisey has been started every game except the first Yankees game going back about a week or so. Dusty moving him to the leadoff spot tells me that he's going to give him a lot of starts to see if that lineup can work.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I'm just wondering why you even bothered including Yorman. You might as well put Bryson Smith or Donald Lutz. They don't have the ceiling Yorman has, but with the way they're performing, they're not necessarily 4+ years from being a pro like he looks to be right now.

Edited to add:the I'm not saying they're legitimate options right now either.
    I was looking into the ceiling for more of a long term solution as much as a short term one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Heisey has been started every game except the first Yankees game going back about a week or so. Dusty moving him to the leadoff spot tells me that he's going to give him a lot of starts to see if that lineup can work.
    I know i just question how long dusty will actually let heisey start. I don't see it lasting very long but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I know i just question how long dusty will actually let heisey start. I don't see it lasting very long but thats just me.
    We're pretty desperate at the leadoff spot. If he can play well then he forces the manager's hand. If not then who knows what'll happen.

That is true, I would be most intrigued by the thought of LaMarre leading off and playing left with a platoon of Heisey and Stubbs in CF but with LaMarre never playing above AA that could be a complication.

Well naturally Ludwick is in LF tonight LOL. I'll give it a week and see but I'd be shocked if Heisey doesn't start the majority of games out there.

I did remember one other minor league option that the reds have, Bill Rhinehart, he is at the moment the best hitter on the AAA club with a .263 average and also play 1B.

Also i am posting this in light of Hal McCoy saying he believes Ludwick will be DFA in the very near future.

Personally I would solve the OF problem by trading Drew Stubbs firstly for a reliever of any repute. I'd slide Heisey over to CF and then trade for a LH LF to platoon with Ludwick. I'm not a big Ludwick fan but when he does hit he has efficient results. He does have 4 HR & 15 RBI in his limited success so far. I still think he can be effective in a platoon role. Of the options you listed I would stay away from all of them personally except for Seth Smith.

I think the Reds may make a move before the deadline depending on which teams are selling. I would hold out hope that someone would be available just like Pence, Bourn, and a couple others were last year. Everyone mentioned above is a downgrade from what we already have.

Not really sure what the answer is, but I think most of us agree a heisy/ludwick split probably is not going to perform at a high enough level for this team to reach the mountain top.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

I personally like Carlos Lee. I know he would be a down grade on defense, but he would be that elusive RH power bat to stick between Votto and Bruce. And if the
    Reds have a decent lead just put Heisey in, in the 8th for D.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Well naturally Ludwick is in LF tonight LOL. I'll give it a week and see but I'd be shocked if Heisey doesn't start the majority of games out there.
    He had a huge game yesterday, so at least this time it makes sense.

I have never paid much attention regarding contracts and how they are structured. Since we are in the last year of Rolen's contract, wouldn't money be coming available after this year. I like Josh Willingham. No, he's not cheap. He's has a three year deal with the Twins
    for 21 million. He's a left fielder with good power. Before he signed with Minnesota, he said he only wanted to play with the Twins or Reds. I would be willing to trade Stubbs, Heisey, Ludwick, any minor leaguer except Tony Cingrani and Billy Hamilton at Bakersfield. Any takers?
    Last edited by 50YrRedsFan; 05-21-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: forgot something

Turn Off Ads?