Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alex Gordon?

Alex Gordon?

Would it be worth revisiting these discussions? I really wanted the Reds to target him before last season.

Then, he had a great year, got a contract, now he seems to have regressed (although it's early).*

He hits lefty, plays LF and occasionally 3B, and is signed through 2015 which, by then, hopefully Lutz, Y-Rod, and/or this year's draft picks are ready to take over.

I know the Reds probably don't want to take on a lot of added payroll, but I wonder if a creative solution could be worked out? The Royals clearly aren't going to contend this year (and maybe next year), so maybe they'd be open to moving him now that he isn't replicating last year's success?

Problem is if I'm the Reds, the Royals have to take on at least half of that contract if they want significant prospects back. I wonder what it would take?

* He is still having a better year than Travis Wood and Dave Sappelt, TRF
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gordon?

I'll reiterate - unless you're paying fortune in prospect the Royals aren't trading Gordon. He and Hosmer are the face of a young franchise that is winning. Take away that horrible 12 game losing streak and they are something like 16-10. Thus is a young exciting team and they just made a pact of sorts with their fan base by signing Gordon LT. Add to that this is the last franchise in baseball that is going to eat part of a contract to get a deal done, this just isn't happening. You are out of touch if you really think the Royals can't compete next year in the AL Central. Tae awau that early losing streak and they'd compete this year - I wouldn't rule them out even given that. People have seen the "bad" Royals for so long they automaticlly think of them that way now and it's no longer so. These guys are young and talented and they have a younger and maybe even more talented up and comer on the farm at nearly every position.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-21-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'll reiterate - unless you're paying fortune in prospect the Royals aren't trading Gordon. He and Hosmer are the face of a young franchise that is winning. Take away that horrible 12 game losing streak and they are something like 16-10. Thus is a young exciting team and they just made a pact of sorts with their fan base by signing Gordon LT. Add to that this is the last franchise in baseball that is going to eat part of a contract to get a deal done, this just isn't happening. You are out of touch if you really think the Royals can't compete next year in the AL Central. Tae awau that early losing streak and they'd compete this year - I wouldn't rule them out even given that. People have seen the "bad" Royals for so long they automaticlly think of them that way now and it's no longer so. These guys are young and talented and they have a younger and maybe even more talented up and comer on the farm at nearly every position.
    I think the Royals will be good eventually- they have too much talent in their system not to be (after all those years of futility and high draft picks).

But I don't think they are contending this year. Not with that rotation.

But OK, if you want the face of your franchise to be a corner bat who has OPS<.730 in every season but one, go ahead.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm simply stating that this is the Royals view of Gordon and his signing. It's almost like the Votto signing but on a smaller economic level. "Look fans!! We actually signed some of our homegrown talent! We're building not sellling! You'd have to be from here to understand the fans bitterness about Beltran and many others the Royals have basically given away (the latest being Greinke)for years now, and their antipathy towards Glass the owner. There is just no way this franchise would sell Gordon because of the message it would send unless they got back a Bautista or Votto (good luck there) in exchange. The fans would have to be convinced it was an overwhelming win for the franchise. And Gordon just isn't good enough for that kind of haul.

I really wanted him before last season but now his price is just too high.

No chance he gets dealt. Especially after the year he put up last season.

If he struggles this season and next, perhaps they deal him in 2013 off-season.

Billy Butler, OTOH... can't play defense. (But his bat sure would good between Votto and Bruce.)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I mentioned trading for Gordon back in April.

But I'm not sure I'd be interested in him now. I ran the stats on all qualifing OFers in the major leagues and he's near the bottom of every category.

He had one good season. Last year.

I dunno that the Reds would even want him now, which makes me scratch my head and wonder if KC is overvaluing the guy.

They may have missed their chance to get something for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I dunno that the Reds would even want him now, which makes me scratch my head and wonder if KC is overvaluing the guy.
    Home area. Just north of here in Nebraska. Fan of Royals growing up. Huge fan favorite. Sportscasters seem blind to any fault. KC's Sean Casey. Also, he and Greinke were the first of the "new generation" talent that were supposed to begin lifting the team from the basement. Yeah, he's overvalued. And if this was a franchise that was completely honest about winning he'd be availabe in the right deal but as long as Dick Glass is the owner KC will never be really about winning. Just keep the fans happy enough to keep coming...sad state for a once great franchise with one of the games best owners in Ewing K.

Turn Off Ads?