Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Congrats to Big Mike

Congrats to Big Mike

Just a quick congratulations to Mike Costanzo for his first big league hit. Costanza is the type of minor league grinder that you like to root for. It was great to see him get a game winner rbi against the Yanks, as well as getting his first big league hit in the same game. I hope he goes on to capably fill his role as a bench player and enjoys a career that lasts longer than just a cup of coffee. I like rooting for the 'grinders' like Big Mike, the filler guys who rarely get noticed but are actually much more true to our own lives than the superstars. Didn't want to let his big day go by unnoticed here on RZ.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congrats to Big Mike

I like him too. Congrats to Costanzo.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Congratulations, indeed. The son of one of my co-workers was a minor league lifer who got a nice little run with the Reds and went 3-0 as a starting pitcher. Couldn't have happened to a harder worker and I feel the same way about Mike.

You know, he really grows on you... At first I hated the guy, now I find myself humming "Coooo ..... Stanzo."
    Last edited by WMR; 05-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You know, he really grows on you... At first I hated the guy, now I find myself humming "Coooo ..... Stanzo."
    Why did you not like him at first?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Why did you not like him at first?
    Seinfeld quote. George talking about how he grows on people... Like a fungus.

Fortuna smiled upon us indeed when she sent us this Costanzo character.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1 for 13 with 8 K's.

Me fears Mike not be in majors too much longer.

Yeah, he hasn't done much with his chance.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I didn't think Mike should have been called up to AAA, so you know how I feel about him on the big league bench.

Cantstandza
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Maybe if Mike could be the "master of his domain", it would make him a better hitter.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I like guys like Mike but baseball is cut throat. You have to do the job even if its a few PH at bats thrown your way and he hasn't done it. It's time for him to go. Someday he'll tell his kids he helped the championship Reds of '12 win a game against the Yankees. He has that. It's more than some guys get.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I like guys like Mike but baseball is cut throat. You have to do the job even if its a few PH at bats thrown your way and he hasn't done it. It's time for him to go. Someday he'll tell his kids he helped the championship Reds of '12 win a game against the Yankees. He has that. It's more than some guys get.
    Serious understatement. It's a ton more than MOST guys get.

This is exactly the reason I'd love to see a minor league lifer like Dorn get a cup of coffee. A couple of years ago, he looked like a perfect platoon partner for us. Alas, now that we really DO need someone, he's having his worst season. Unfortunate.

Turn Off Ads?