Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wainwright???

Wainwright???

Don't look now, but he just threw a complete game shutout with 9k's against the Pads.

Just when some of us thought they were falling apart. Now watch, we'll hear next that Carpenter's starting a rehab.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wainwright???

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Don't look now, but he just threw a complete game shutout with 9k's against the Pads.

Just when some of us thought they were falling apart. Now watch, we'll hear next that Carpenter's starting a rehab.
    Long way to go......I'll take the Reds rotation over the Cardinals for the next 4+ months.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post

Remember, this was against the Padres, one of the worst teams in the NL.

The Phillies will be visiting them starting Thursday - I'm expecting results that will benefit the Reds who will be playing the Rockies, who are worse than the Padres.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Consider the offense and the ballpark.

EMAW

Eddie Volquez was working for the Pads

Rule of thumb, trust the ace coming back from Tommy John to get better as the season goes along and the replacement-level backup in his first trip around the league to falter. Of course, it helps that he just faced a team that considers Yonder Alonso its biggest offensive threat and Edinson Volquez a TOR starter.

On a side note, it's great to see those guys doing well. Even if this trade comes back to bite us in the end, it definitely reflects well on our organization and the talent that comes out of it.

so a good pitcher pitched well? whats the world coming to. i don't care how many ppl say cards are done they are not until they are out. the last thing i want is the reds thinking its over

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The odds were ways more likely that Wainwright would rebound. I would've have never counted against a pitcher like that having success.

4 hits, no walks, CG SO. I was listening to this tonight after the reds game and he was pitch efficient and getting double plays, although it still doesn't sound like his velocity is there, still in the 88-90 range on fastballs. I will be impressed if he could pitch like that against a higher scoring club. A rejuvenated Wainwright could be trouble.

He's been sporadic this year after a terrible start, or in other words - their Mat Latos.

Was at the game tonight and he was definitely dealing. I still feel he'll have nights like this (especially against offenses like the Padres), but that he'll also have some more bumps on the road to coming back to full form and end the year somewhere around a 4.25-ish ERA or so. I'm really not expecting him to be ace quality on a consistent basis again until next year, but tonight was hopefully a start in the right direction for him.

Of course, it helps that he just faced a team that considers Yonder Alonso its biggest offensive threat and Edinson Volquez a TOR starter.

[/QUOTE] Volquez had a major problem with his catcher last nite...there were many cross-ups and a LOT of trips to the mound! There was a crucial conference on the mound that included the whole infield, and Edinson exploded with frustration at his catcher, who remained calm. I guess there will be more on this today.

Would you believe that that was only Wainwrights 2nd career complete game shutout? He was aided by a gross infield error, and a no tag by the catcher on a play at the plate, but he still pitched masterfully vs. the hapless Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Remember, this was against the Padres, one of the worst teams in the NL.

The Phillies will be visiting them starting Thursday - I'm expecting results that will benefit the Reds who will be playing the Rockies, who are worse than the Padres.
    If you look, the Phillies of 2012 are not the Phillies of 2009/2010 or last year...

Turn Off Ads?