Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belmont - Triple Crown

Re: Belmont - Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I hardly ever feel sorry for Baffert. But these three have caused me to make an exception.
    I saw Baffert in the barn area right after Real Quiet lost the Triple Crown by a nose. I was very impressed with the class he showed that day. I guess there wasn't much else he could do.
    Gary Stevens really criticised Desormeaux's ride on TV today, but if Baffert was unhappy with it, he kept it to himself.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Think about this:

1. Secretariat still holds the record for the Derby.

2. He would still hold the record for the Preakness but for the fact that the track timer malfunctioned.

3. He still holds the Belmont Park Record for 1 1/2 miles on the grass.

4. He still holds the Belmont Park Record for 1 1/8 miles on the dirt.
    Slight correction -- it's 1 1/2 miles on dirt (i.e. his Belmont Stakes performance), and that 2:24 is still the world record for that distance on dirt. Considering the Belmont Stakes is just about the only 1 1/2 mile dirt race left in the world -- pretty much everything else at that distance is on turf -- it may stand forever.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 06-10-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Slight correction -- it's 1 1/2 miles on dirt (i.e. his Belmont Stakes performance), and that 2:24 is still the world record for that distance on dirt. Considering the Belmont Stakes is just about the only 1 1/2 mile dirt race left in the world -- pretty much everything else at that distance is on turf -- it may stand forever.
    Actually I was wrong, but not for the reason you think. Secretariat ran 2:24 4/5 on the grass in the Man O' War setting the 1 1/2 grass record that stood at Belmont for many years, and according to Wikepedia is still the track record.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secreta...e_Triple_Crown

However I see that in 2001 a horse called Fantastic Light ran the distance on the grass in 2:24.36. So after 40 years Secretariat only holds 2 track records at Belmont, not 3.

I'm happy I'll Have Another didn't have to be put down. Now he gets his dream job, being a stud!

Turn Off Ads?