Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belmont - Triple Crown

Belmont - Triple Crown

The 12th horse with a chance to win racing's Triple Crown, since Affirmed accomplished that feat back in 1978, will be I'll Have Another. Here is a quick look at how the past 11 horses have fared.

- 2008: Big Brown finishes last to Da' Tara, the longest shot on the board. Big Brown fails to respond when jockey Kent Desormeaux asks for more speed in the last turn. At that point, Desormeaux eases him up.

- 2004: Smarty Jones extends his lead approaching the quarter pole and maintains a clear lead inside the furlong marker. Fights gamely into the deep stretch then yields grudgingly to finish second, a length behind Birdstone.

- 2003: Funny Cide leads to the far turn, relinquishes the lead to Empire Maker at the three-sixteenths pole, battles along the inside to the top of the stretch then weakens, finishing third, five lengths back.

- 2002: War Emblem stumbles badly out of the gate then bumps Magic Weisner at the start in an 11-horse field. Takes brief lead nearing the half-mile pole. Remains a factor to the turn but gives way, finishing eighth, 19 1/2 lengths back.

- 1999: Charismatic takes the lead briefly at the turn but Lemon Drop Kid and Vision and Verse fly by him on the outside and he finishes third, 1 1/2 lengths back.

- 1998: Four lengths ahead with an eighth-mile remaining, Real Quiet is nipped by a nose at the wire by Victory Gallop in a nine-horse field.

- 1997: Silver Charm fails to hold off Touch Gold in the final eighth-mile and finishes second, three-quarters of a length back, in a seven-horse field.

- 1989: Sunday Silence can't match Easy Goer in the final quarter-mile and finishes second, eight lengths back in a 10-horse field.

- 1987: Checked sharply on the final turn, Alysheba finishes fourth, 14 lengths behind winner Bet Twice in a 10-horse field.

- 1981: Pleasant Colony, never better than third, finishes a little more than 1 1/2 lengths behind Summing, with Highland Blade second in an 11-horse field.

- 1979: The 1-5 favorite, Spectacular Bid leads with a quarter-mile left, but weakens to finish third in an eight-horse field, 3 1/4 lengths behind Coastal and another head behind Golden Act.
    No idea if I'll Have Another has what it takes. But sooner or later some horse is gonna break the streak.

I will never forget the Affirmed-Alydar Triple Crown rivalry. Those two horse were as evenly matched as it gets. That Belmont run was particularly exciting. Affirmed was about two lengths better over those three races combined. I was a young, beer-drinking fool who had a lot of money riding on Affirmed in the Belmont. A horse's nose can be a beautiful thing.

The great-great grandson of Triple Crown winner War Admiral, Affirmed battled with Alydar in all three races, beating his rival by 1 1/2 lengths in the Derby, a neck in the Preakness, and a nose in the Belmont.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Belmont - Triple Crown

I don't love his chances due to some quality horses sitting out the Preakness. They'll be fresh and ready.

That said, he seems to have very good late speed that will pay off over the 1.5 miles. And the horse and jockey seem to be a near perfect combo. The horse has speed when Gurierrez asks for it. They're definitely an impressive team.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I remember watching the Triple Crown in the early 2000's when for 3 straight years there was a horse that had a chance to win it. It seemed like it was going to happen sooner or later, but hasn't yet. I do remember the hoopla around Big Brown and how great he was only to fail to win the Belmont.

I don't really care a whole lot for horse racing. I watch the triple crown races if a horse has a shot to win them all. Once they do I don't care again until the Kentucky Derby. It would be cool for the sport to see it happen.

On a related note, "I'll Have Another" doesn't sound like a triple crown winning horse.

The first two races seemed a lot like the Affirmed/Alaydar races. Both tight races with the favorite coming up just short. I hope I'll Have Another can win the Belmont but considering how others have fared in the last quarter century or so something will probably happen to keep him out of the winners circle.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'll Have Another is officially out of the Belmont. No Triple Crown this year.

They said there's a problem in his front left leg, maybe the start of tendinitis. He may never race again...sad.

His trainer just announced it on the Dan Patrick show.

Unfortunately I'll Have Another's Triple Crown chance is over as the horse had to be withdrawn today due to a leg injury.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/trip...t-trainer-says

Well, I'll take that off the DVR tonight. I have no interest in that race whatsoever now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Awful news for the horse racing industry.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The first two races seemed a lot like the Affirmed/Alaydar races. Both tight races with the favorite coming up just short. I hope I'll Have Another can win the Belmont but considering how others have fared in the last quarter century or so something will probably happen to keep him out of the winners circle.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Good call.
    Unfortunately I was correct. I am really doubting there will be another Triple Crown winner. While driving to the subway station this morning, ESPN radio said that English racing hasn't had a Triple Crown winner since 1970. So they have had an even longer drought than the US.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't love his chances due to some quality horses sitting out the Preakness.
    You got that right. Hope you didn't throw away those terot cards

Unfortunately I was correct. I am really doubting there will be another Triple Crown winner. While driving to the subway station this morning, ESPN radio said that English racing hasn't had a Triple Crown winner since 1970. So they have had an even longer drought than the US.
    Has something changed that is making it harder for the Triple Crown to happen? Shorter shedule or a big change to races themselves?

Well, I'll take that off the DVR tonight. I have no interest in that race whatsoever now.
    Throw some money on the race. All of a sudden it gets interesting!!!!

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Has something changed that is making it harder for the Triple Crown to happen? Shorter shedule or a big change to races themselves?
    IIRC, I read a few years back that these horses were bred more for pure speed. Which makes for more spindly(sp?) legs that leads to more injury and less endurance for longer races like the Belmont. That's been a few years ago and I may not be remembering it exactly.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    1. Breeding- horses are now bred for speed rather than endurance. There are big purses available for two year olds so breeders put more emphasis on breeding horses that can win shorter 2 year old races as opposed to the classic distances of the triple crown. Ironically I'll have Another was bred to run a distance.

2. Drugs- almost all horses run on lasix which is a legal anti-bleeding medication. It became legal back in the 80s. It is possible that in the long run lasix and other medications hurt the breed and make for a less sound race horse.

3. Winning a triple crown requires a big time effort and a big time race horse. Horses like Seattle Slew and Affirmed don't come around every year (or even every decade). Its like the base ball triple crown Do you remember when we last had one of those?

Answer- Yastremski 1967. That was a long time ago.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 06-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?