Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crosstown Shootout Moves Downtown

Re: Crosstown Shootout Moves Downtown

Not so fast...

Joint statement from Presidents Gregory H. Williams and Michael J. Graham, S.J.
    “The University of Cincinnati and Xavier University were both surprised to see today’s announcement concerning the future of the Crosstown Shootout. While both schools are committed to the future of the Crosstown rivalry, specific discussions are ongoing and no details have been finalized. We look forward to sharing our plans with the community at an appropriate time in the coming weeks.”
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guess I'm in the minority. I think its a good way to continue the series and take some of the overheatedness out of it. It's a road game for both teams and both sets of fans will be on "road" behavior and be a little less rabid.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Why do we want the fans to be less rabid? They didn't fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Why do we want the fans to be less rabid? They didn't fight.
    There were many reports of some very unsavory behavior by Xavier students and fans. Depending on who you hear it from, things were quite hairy for some of the UC coaches' families. If you remember correctly Xavier had planned on making every student who wanted to attend a game for the rest of the season attend a group "reflection" before backing off that stance because, well, it was not a very well thought out plan.

Again, I don't want anyone to believe I am pointing fingers at Xavier fans and students. It might have been just as bad if the brawl had happened at UC. Having students and fans acting like that is not acceptable however, and something that should be addressed.

Acting like what? Some students were chanting "F-_k UC!" Not exactly classy (or original), but not exactly earth shattering stuff either. There's nothing wrong with an intense environment. Hell, we should want an intense environment. The players just shouldn't fight. Since there hasn't been a fight before, I'm not sure they should be particularly concerned about another.

Acting like what? Some students were chanting "F-_k UC!" Not exactly classy (or original), but not exactly earth shattering stuff either. There's nothing wrong with an intense environment. Hell, we should want an intense environment. The players just shouldn't fight. Since there hasn't been a fight before, I'm not sure they should be particularly concerned about another.
    There were reports of things being thrown at some of the UC staff's family for one. I even heard some people say paint was thrown. Profanity was not the only issue. To be honest, having the series in home venues is probably the only thing that kept things from escelating into a more physical nature. There was legitimate concern for the saftey of some of the UC staff and their families sitting behind the bench. That is in no way anything that should be shrugged off.

As I stated in my first post. I disagree with moving the series to a neutral site. I think it should stay as it is, though further action toward reducing hostility in the players and fans/students should be taken. There is nothing wrong with some intensity, but the line was certainly crossed last year. Inaction would be absurd.

Also, even though last year was the first time the two teams had engaged in a brawl, Xavier players had thrown elbows with intent towards UC players in the previous two years. The issue was boiling before last year.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the correct level of intensity. Assuming there are no more in-game brawls (another is highly unlikely), there's no reason for anyone to be afraid for their safety in the home arenas.

And inaction may be absurd, but complete overreaction is equally absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Not so fast...

Joint statement from Presidents Gregory H. Williams and Michael J. Graham, S.J.
    “The University of Cincinnati and Xavier University were both surprised to see today’s announcement concerning the future of the Crosstown Shootout. While both schools are committed to the future of the Crosstown rivalry, specific discussions are ongoing and no details have been finalized. We look forward to sharing our plans with the community at an appropriate time in the coming weeks.”
    OK, so who reported a false story? I'm thinking it was the Enquirer but I think we now have a story within a story. Something false was reported with no documentation and my guess is no writer is going to take credit for initially breaking this story. Somebody screwed up bigtime here.They reported a definite: that the game would be moved and it'd be announced next month. That's a flatout lie

Much ado about nothing. Not many care outside the 275 loop.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Who's fired up for tonight's Crosstown Classic in support of some museum no one goes to? Based on ticket sales, no one.

Who's fired up for tonight's Crosstown Classic in support of some museum no one goes to? Based on ticket sales, no one.
    I'm fired up. Are ticket sales poor? I bought mine a week ago and I got the impression that there weren't a ton left. This was from the guy at the counter at the museum/circus venue.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

You bought tickets a week before the game at a a "museum/circus venue". That's pretty good evidence ticket sales haven't exactly been brisk.

I'm very offended that the title still contains the word 'Shootout.'

It's still the Shootout in my verbiage

Turn Off Ads?