Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 5/23

Birthdays: 5/23

Reds:

Kirk Saarloos (33) -A Red in 2007. I think he's a college assistant coach now.

Gino Minutelli (48) -Pitched one inning for the 1990 Reds, giving up a hit, two walks and a run. Wonder if he got a World Series ring? Also appeared briefly in 1991.

Augie Galan - A high-OBP guy, especially after 1943, when he abandoned switch-hitting and began hitting exclusively from the left side and drawing bushels of walks. His Reds year were 1947 and 1948.

Dummy Hoy -Hit the first grand slam home run in American League history...Lived to be 99; threw out the first pitch at game 3 of the 1961 World Series at Crosley Field a few months before he died...At the time of his death he was the oldest ex-player and the last surviving member of the Players League.

Others:

Willis Hudlin -Spent 15 years in the Cleveland rotation...Gave up Babe Ruth's 500th home run...For the last ten years or so, I've belonged to a Diamond Mind computer baseball league that's been replaying seasons beginning with the 1927 season. I had Willis on my initial team, and when I heard he was still alive I wrote him a letter, and he sent me back an autograph. I think it's the only autograph I still have.

Zack Wheat -Nicknamed "Buck" Wheat, which I think is pretty funny...His brother Mack Wheat also played in the bigs...A HOF outfielder, somewhat similar to Tony Gwynn.

Deacon Phillippe -An extreme control pitcher for Pittsburgh... Oddly, the most-similar player to him in baseball history is his friend and long-time teammate Sam Leever...A distant cousin of actor Ryan Phillippe.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 5/23

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Kirk Saarloos (33) -A Red in 2007. I think he's a college assistant coach now.

Gino Minutelli (48) -Pitched one inning for the 1990 Reds, giving up a hit, two walks and a run. Wonder if he got a World Series ring? Also appeared briefly in 1991.

Augie Galan - A high-OBP guy, especially after 1943, when he abandoned switch-hitting and began hitting exclusively from the left side and drawing bushels of walks. His Reds year were 1947 and 1948.

Dummy Hoy -Hit the first grand slam home run in American League history...Lived to be 99; threw out the first pitch at game 3 of the 1961 World Series at Crosley Field a few months before he died...At the time of his death he was the oldest ex-player and the last surviving member of the Players League.
    Adding Clyde King - Spent the last year of his career with the Reds (1953) after 6 seasons pitching for Brooklyn. As a kid it was always exciting to see these ex-Dodgers come over to the Reds. Even though they might be in the twilight of their careers, it didn't matter a lot because Brooklyn was the elite NL team of the late 40s and early 50s...it seemed to add a little class to the dreary Reds teams just to have these guys around.

Turn Off Ads?