Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Chapman for Stanton straight up right now?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 64.10%
  • No

28 35.90%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical - Chapman for Stanton?

Hypothetical - Chapman for Stanton?

Interesting hypothetical question that would never happen in real life-

Would you now trade Aroldis Chapman for Giancarlo Stanton?

Fish would love Cuban defector Chapman in the rotation or closing (they've had terrible problems on the backend of their bullpen). Chapman is now on pace to challenge the all-time K/9 season record.

Reds would love Stanton's bat in LF and the cleanup spot for years to come.

In reality, this deal carries far too much risk for both teams to ever come to fruition, but it is somewhat reminiscent of the hypothetical Dunn-for-Beckett discussion between these two teams on this board a decade ago. Would you do it?

(As an interesting aside, did you know that Stanton, Freddie Freeman, and Zach Cozart all went almost back-to-back-to-back in the second round of the 2007 draft? It's pointless to draft in hindsight, but it is interesting that we passed on him twice in the sandwich round that year to draft Frazier and Lotzkar)
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hypothetical - Chapman for Stanton?

Yes.. You can always find pen arms. Through the draft, converting failed starters, free agency, etc. If Chapman was a SP? I'd give you an entirely different answer that started with a resounding no. I have little faith the Reds ever seriously try to stretch him out, however. This was supposed to be the year, and the Reds found every reason NOT to prepare him for a role in the rotation.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Like cincyinco, my guess is the answer to this question will depend entirely on how much faith one has in the Reds to successfully move Chapman into the rotation. If he's a SP, probably don't do the deal. If he's a RP, I think everyone would do it. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see if anyone has faith in Chapman to successfully make that move in Cincy.
    Go BLUE!!!

A resounding yes.

If Chapman ended up being a great SP for the fish then there would be some regrets, but an impact bat trumps a impact reliever in my book.

1. Phillips.
    2. Stubbs
    3. Votto
    4. Stanton
    5. Bruce
    6. Cozart
    7. Hanigan
    8. Frazier
    9. Pitcher

Absolutely I'd do that trade
    Most Vottomatic Player

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I have little faith the Reds ever seriously try to stretch him out, however. This was supposed to be the year, and the Reds found every reason NOT to prepare him for a role in the rotation.
    The five reasons they didn't put him in the rotation were (1) his lack of previous success as a starter;(2) their concern about the number of innings he would throw at such a young age; (3) the fact we already had 5 viable starters; (4) the huge need for another hammer in the bullpen with the injuries to Madsen, Massett and Bray; and (5) the desire to have Chapman sustain real success in one role before preparing him for a more difficult role.

It's not like they did it becuase Chapman ate cornflakes for breakfast or something.

Their reasons for having Chapman remain in the bullpen were reasonable and well thought out.

And the choice to do so has been a resounding success.

Always trade a pitcher for a hitter of equal talents and contract status. Pitchers are far more unpredictable and injury prone.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

hypothetically no simply because in my hypothetical opinion the reds currently have an overall shortage of hypothetically elite left-handed pitching

Yes. Stanton is likely to be a premier slugger for years to come. Chapman is likely to be a dominant pitcher for years to come. The huge an I do mean huge, qualifier is that pitchers careers are far, far riskier to predict than hitters. More health and injury problems that can end things overnight. Stanton's likelihood of having a long successful career is far better than Chapman's. If I'm a GM and have a chance to make that trade I'd do it every time especially given that the Reds have great pitching, two very good relievers that I expect back at some point, an a huge hole on my lineup crying out for a hitter exactly like Giancarlo. In fact, I'd add another player to the deal if they wanted - Heisey or Neftali Soto.

If the Reds plan to keep Chapman as a reliever, then yes absolutely I would. If we could see what he'd be like as a starter, I'd be much more apprehensive. I truly think he can be a top 5 pitcher in the game in the rotation.

I seem to be the only one who has voted No. The intention still is to move him into the rotation. I agree with John Erardi that given this year's circumstances, it's best to leave him where he is, but I fully expect they'll make the move next year and I don't think you give up an elite starting arm like that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

There are very few players in MLB that I would consider in a straight-up trade for Chapman. Giancarlo Stanton is one of them.

Good grief, the Reds lineup would be RIDICULOUS with Stanton batting between Votto and Bruce.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I fully expect they'll make the move next year
    ...until Bray and/or Masset come up gimpy again, then we'll start hearing whispers of "Well, we might need him in the pen again. But just for this year, in 2014 he's in the rotation. Mark it down!" from Dusty and Walt.

As per whether or not I'd do the trade:

If he's going to become a starter (which I doubt)? No. Otherwise, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

I actually advocated this trade last year and it was shot down by virtually everyone because "The Marlins aren't trading Stanton." Has that changed?

At this point I'm not advocating the trade, as I think there are other interesting solutions out there to the LF/cleanup hole. However, if it happened, I wouldn't be sad. I, too, think Stanton is one of the few players I would trade straight up for Chapman.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

If there was no (or little) doubt Chapman would be a #1 starter and if there was no doubt that Reds front office was commited to making him one I would have reservations.

There is doubt on both fronts so I would not hesitate to flip Chapman for Stanton - especially considering the lack of a good RH hitter in this lineup. And by that I mean a RH hitter that can hit RHP - his spits may not show that this year, but they have been pretty even over his career.

Turn Off Ads?