Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Chapman for Stanton straight up right now?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 64.10%
  • No

28 35.90%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical - Chapman for Stanton?

Re: Hypothetical - Chapman for Stanton?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I actually advocated this trade last year and it was shot down by virtually everyone because "The Marlins aren't trading Stanton." Has that changed?

At this point I'm not advocating the trade, as I think there are other interesting solutions out there to the LF/cleanup hole. However, if it happened, I wouldn't be sad. I, too, think Stanton is one of the few players I would trade straight up for Chapman.
    The Marlins still aren't trading Stanton. This was purely hypothetical.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    There are very few players in MLB that I would consider in a straight-up trade for Chapman. Giancarlo Stanton is one of them.

Good grief, the Reds lineup would be RIDICULOUS with Stanton batting between Votto and Bruce.
    My thoughts too. There's only a handful of players I would trade Chapman for and Stanton is one of them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I firmly believe that the Reds will keep Chapman in the pen this year and all of next year....at the minimum. Bronson is off the books in 2014. Until then, we're looking at our rotation. They've invested too much time and effort into Homer to ditch him right when he looks like he's ready to take the next step. Leake shows too much upside at such a young age to part with. Latos & Cueto...they aren't going anywhere. So until Bronson's gone, Chapman won't be in the rotation. Because before that time, it pretty much forces a trade of either Homer or Leake...and I'm pretty sure that the reds want to keep those 2 in order to make the full 5 man rotation of Latos/Cueto/Chapman/Bailey/Leake after Bronson's gone.

But here's the rub, if Chapman's successful at closing...he'll stay there permanently IMO.

I'd trade 2 Chapmans for 1 Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I firmly believe that the Reds will keep Chapman in the pen this year and all of next year....at the minimum. Bronson is off the books in 2014. Until then, we're looking at our rotation. They've invested too much time and effort into Homer to ditch him right when he looks like he's ready to take the next step. Leake shows too much upside at such a young age to part with. Latos & Cueto...they aren't going anywhere. So until Bronson's gone, Chapman won't be in the rotation. Because before that time, it pretty much forces a trade of either Homer or Leake...and I'm pretty sure that the reds want to keep those 2 in order to make the full 5 man rotation of Latos/Cueto/Chapman/Bailey/Leake after Bronson's gone.

But here's the rub, if Chapman's successful at closing...he'll stay there permanently IMO.
    I agree, I don't see anything changing next year. Baring a trade or serious injury they have the same 5 starters coming back. The fact that he will be their incumbant closer makes it even less likely they will make that switch next season.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I seem to be the only one who has voted No. The intention still is to move him into the rotation. I agree with John Erardi that given this year's circumstances, it's best to leave him where he is, but I fully expect they'll make the move next year and I don't think you give up an elite starting arm like that.
    2010 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.
    2011 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.
    2012 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.

Aroldis Chapman (career): 88G / 0GS

The Reds have no intention of moving Aroldis Chpaman to the rotation.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

For a Level Playing Field

Absolutely NO. I might be older than some/most here, but losing games by the score of 11-8 and 10-6 is still in my not-too-long-ago-memory. I want good pitching. I am willing to take a chance on good pitching (still have no problem with Hamilton for Volquez and no prob with Latos for Alonso/others). The last two games against the team with the 2nd best record in the NL was not won by those 7 HRs (yes, it helped, cannot win without scoring at least 1 run). It was won with pitching.

Give me arms or give me no playoffs.

Are you going to be able to pay for Stanton beyond his arbitration years, as well as Votto, Bruce, Phillips, et. al.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    2010 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.
    2011 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.
    2012 Cincinnati Reds: We want Aroldis Chapman to start.

Aroldis Chapman (career): 88G / 0GS

The Reds have no intention of moving Aroldis Chpaman to the rotation.
    And folks have explained endlessly why he's not starting this year, which was the year they had every intention of moving him into the rotation some time this year. I think you're mistaken. Only time will tell, of course, but I believe next year he'll be there. Believe what you want.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    There are very few players in MLB that I would consider in a straight-up trade for Chapman. Giancarlo Stanton is one of them.

Good grief, the Reds lineup would be RIDICULOUS with Stanton batting between Votto and Bruce.
    This.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Are you going to be able to pay for Stanton beyond his arbitration years, as well as Votto, Bruce, Phillips, et. al.?
    Same could be asked for Aroldis.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Same could be asked for Aroldis.
    Why wouldn't we be able to afford a setup man after his arbitration years? It's not like he's Randy Johnson is it?

Bum

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Probably one of the toughest trade proposals I've ever had to consider. Wow. Tough one for me.

Ask me last season, and it was an easy yes.

This season? Hmmm. Geez, I enjoy watching Chapman pitch so much I'd miss him. Seriously. Even in relief.

On the other hand, my #1 trade target for cleanup hitter has always been Stanton. He's still cheap. Very young. Very productive. And would make this offense take off like a stealth fighter jet.

I'd say reluctantly yes. And I think it's a trade the Marlins would seriously have to consider.

I do think the stellar bullpen takes a hit though. But the improved offense makes up for it, and Joey Votto would probably french kiss Walt Jocketty on the lips if he made that trade because his numbers would be incredible with Stanton behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why wouldn't we be able to afford a setup man after his arbitration years? It's not like he's Randy Johnson is it?

Bum
    I'm not happy with how Chapman has been handled. But he won't be a setup man in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm not happy with how Chapman has been handled. But he won't be a setup man in 2016.
    Me neither. I was being sarcastic...sorry.

Turn Off Ads?