Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just a deffierent view of things shaping up

Just a deffierent view of things shaping up

Just a side comment to the whole Chapman thing. Madsen-Bray-Masset going down may have been kind of a blessing in disguise in hindsight.

I doubt the Reds pick up Simon or make the Hoover trade and both deals look great right now plus they still have the chance that Bray and Masset at least will still return and add even more depth to the pen.

That'll be right about the time or very near the time that Donnie Joseph (wow has he bounced back!) is close enough to be considered a possible BP arm, too. If a starter goes down they still have Chapman as depth and meanwhile the Reds have a dominant bullpen without Masset, Madsen and Bray.

As to Francisco's LH bat, I disliked him and other than handedness he'd just be another hacktastic type bat had the Reds kept him. No help there. Seems to me if Masset can make it back healthy and effective by the deadline and Hoover and SImon continue to look good then the Reds have 2 VERY valuable trading chips - either a ML starter or a good bullpen arm to dangle for a solid hitter from another contender who needs pitching. And you can make a team overpay for pitching.

Those injuries set in motion a whole slew of events that changed the whole face of this season - and maybe in a better way than anyone might have imagined if we were told the Reds would lose Madsen, Bray and Masset at the outset.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just a deffierent view of things shaping up

I agree. It also got them out of a jam with Bailey and Leake. Now both can continue their development as starters and the Reds can feel even safer about who they choose to keep.

As for Simon, Hoover and even Lecure, are they even on this team? These guys have to get some work, even if it's in a close game.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I agree. It also got them out of a jam with Bailey and Leake. Now both can continue their development as starters and the Reds can feel even safer about who they choose to keep.

As for Simon, Hoover and even Lecure, are they even on this team? These guys have to get some work, even if it's in a close game.
    I thought about starting an ABP thread for Simon and Lecure. Been a while since I have seen them in a game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I thought about starting an ABP thread for Simon and Lecure. Been a while since I have seen them in a game.
    I thought the same thing. Here's the last time each of these guys pitched:

LeCure - 5/13
    Simon - 5/15
    Hoover - 5/17

I love the way the bullpen's performed so far but I'd hate to see Ondrusek, Arredondo, and Chapman get worn down.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I forgot Lecure was even on the team until you mentioned him

In the team's defense, Hoover got a chance recently in a high leverage situation (I think about a week ago).

It's a nice problem to have the starters going deep into games though.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I thought the same thing. Here's the last time each of these guys pitched:

LeCure - 5/13
    Simon - 5/15
    Hoover - 5/17

I love the way the bullpen's performed so far but I'd hate to see Ondrusek, Arredondo, and Chapman get worn down.
    That makes me a little nervous, but it's not completely out of the realm of understanding. Aroldis has thrown the fourth most innings out of the pen in the NL (24.1). Arredondo has thrown the 20th most (21.2). Ondrusek is 42nd (18.2).

By comparison, Atlanta has three pitchers in the top 10; Chicago has two in the top 10; Milwaukee has three in the top 20; Colorado has three in the top 20.

I agree that those other guys need to see some work, particularly Hoover, but it's a testament to how good the starting pitching has been that the Reds are in a lot of close games and the best relievers are being run out there. LeCure's last outing was when Arroyo went just five innings (long reliever role), and Simon pitched two innings when Cueto was bombed in Atlanta (LeCure wasn't available).
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That makes me a little nervous, but it's not completely out of the realm of understanding. Aroldis has thrown the fourth most innings out of the pen in the NL (24.1). Arredondo has thrown the 20th most (21.2). Ondrusek is 42nd (18.2).

By comparison, Atlanta has three pitchers in the top 10; Chicago has two in the top 10; Milwaukee has three in the top 20; Colorado has three in the top 20.

I agree that those other guys need to see some work, particularly Hoover, but it's a testament to how good the starting pitching has been that the Reds are in a lot of close games and the best relievers are being run out there. LeCure's last outing was when Arroyo went just five innings (long reliever role), and Simon pitched two innings when Cueto was bombed in Atlanta (LeCure wasn't available).
    I think you have to look at Aroldis differently. Up until last week they looked at him as a 2 inning pitcher. A guy who they were going to put in games but weren't afraid to bring him in for the 7th and pitch in the 8th. Going forward its the number of appearances that I would worry about with him.

It may be a blessing in disguise that Masset and Bray have been out early and hopefully will be back ready to go around the All Star break. They may just be a fresher option heading down the stretch and could eat up some innings Ondrusek or Arredondo would usually get.

I'd like to see Hoover used in more close games. I understand Dusty's hesitation to use LeCure in them though.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Interesting. I was having these exact thoughts about the use of the bullpen the last few nights. Seems like it's always Arredondo, Ondrusek, Chapman and Marshall. I was hoping to see more of Hoover. I don't get it. He hasn't given me a reason not to trust him in a close game. I, too, fear overworking those 4 main relievers. Need to spread it out some.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?