Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the Reds' top 3B prospect?

Who's the Reds' top 3B prospect?

Frazier may stick as a starting 3B for the Reds. Nevertheless, excluding Frazier (because he's already in the bigs), who is the Reds' top 3B prospect in the relatively near term. Is it Vidal or Rodriguez - or is it someone else? What are the pros and cons of Vidal and Rodriguez that make you think it's one over the other?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who's the Reds' top 3B prospect?

I like both guys, but don't really love either of them.

Vidal can play there defensively, I have no questions about that. He has some pop in his bat, probably could be a 20 HR guy at the Major League level. I am just not entirely sold on his bat translating fully. I want to see some more against higher levels of competition.

With Rodriguez, I think his bat could play there, although in an unconventional manner. I think he could be more like a .300/.350/.425 hitter at third base with say 10-15 home runs. His defense isn't as good as that of Vidal, though I haven't seen anything from him this year that suggests he would hurt you there either. My main concern is that he isn't a prototypical 3B and that could lead to him being pigeonholed as a utility guy because of it.

Either way though, they aren't the types of guys that should stop you from looking for an upgrade at the position.

There is also Gabriel Rosa {18} (Rookie League), Sean Buckley {21} (Dayton), Junior Arias {19} (Rookie League) based on the top 25 prospect rankings on www.redsminorleagues.com

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Vidal can play there defensively, I have no questions about that. He has some pop in his bat, probably could be a 20 HR guy at the Major League level. I am just not entirely sold on his bat translating fully. I want to see some more against higher levels of competition.

With Rodriguez, I think his bat could play there, although in an unconventional manner. I think he could be more like a .300/.350/.425 hitter at third base with say 10-15 home runs. His defense isn't as good as that of Vidal, though I haven't seen anything from him this year that suggests he would hurt you there either. My main concern is that he isn't a prototypical 3B and that could lead to him being pigeonholed as a utility guy because of it.

Either way though, they aren't the types of guys that should stop you from looking for an upgrade at the position.
    Well, dang. . . . couldn't you just shade the truth a little and tell us that they're both can't miss prospects? Seriously, though, thanks for that information. I haven't seen their prospects for 3B at the bigs stated so clearly before.

That is true, and the reds haven't had a really good 3B prospect in a long time

I could see HRod playing 3B and hitting at the top of the order. I'd want to add a big bat in LF though.

I never really cared about the "prototypical" third baseman or any other position. Pete wasn't exactly the prototypical player for 3rd OR left - it depends on whether the team has
    bats in other spots. I'd like to see Rodriguez, and view him slightly more favorably than Vidal just because I think he's a better overall hitter even if his power doesn't shout third baseman. I know that carries weight though in baseball circles because you can "hide" slower bigger body types at third and that usually translates into power. It creates a position for the guys who outgrow shortstop for instance, but I really wish they'd just concentrate on the best pure hitter who plays the spot defensively whether he's a guy who slaps hits and has gap power or is a slugger.

Anyway that aside, Doug, has there been anymore rumbling this year about Henry's attitude? I know in the past there were some.

double post

After the June draft I hope we have a new top 3b prospect. Hopefully a college guy like Roache, Shaffer, Piscotty or the top tier college 3b on the MLB boards.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    After the June draft I hope we have a new top 3b prospect. Hopefully a college guy like Roache, Shaffer, Piscotty or the top tier college 3b on the MLB boards.
    Agreed, but I doubt Roache can play 3B at the professional level. He's really a 1B or LF. Would love to see the Reds get him in the sandwich round. Could be a LF cleanup hitter for years to come.
    Go BLUE!!!

Most mocks i've seen have the reds going with the SS out of Arizona State or a College pitcher here are a couple links
    http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2012/05/the-mock-volume-vii/
    http://mlb.mlb.com//news/article.jsp...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Most mocks i've seen have the reds going with the SS out of Arizona State or a College pitcher here are a couple links
    http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2012/05/the-mock-volume-vii/
    http://mlb.mlb.com//news/article.jsp...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    With Heaney, Barnes, and Sanburn, I'd take that draft from mlbdraftinsider. I really like Barnes in the sandwich round.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Those descriptions sound like Kevin Kouzmanoff and Martin Prado to me -- upside of course.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I will be shocked if they do not draft a college third baseman in the first 10 rounds that is capable of playing in Dayton right away. Arias is completely in over his head, both offensively and defensively...Hitting .167 and struggling to keep fielding percentage out of the .800s.

The Dayton club has 34 errors at the 3B and SS positions through one-third of the season.

Reds just signed a free agent third baseman for Bakersfield, Niko Vasquez, former third round pick of the Cardinals who never panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I will be shocked if they do not draft a college third baseman in the first 10 rounds that is capable of playing in Dayton right away. Arias is completely in over his head, both offensively and defensively...Hitting .167 and struggling to keep fielding percentage out of the .800s.

The Dayton club has 34 errors at the 3B and SS positions through one-third of the season.

Reds just signed a free agent third baseman for Bakersfield, Niko Vasquez, former third round pick of the Cardinals who never panned out.
    Richie Shaffer would be a great candidate for that.

If they don't take him (or another college 3B in the first few rounds), I wonder how far Gabriel Rosa is from being ready for Dayton? As a second round pick last year who signed early enough to get over 100 AB in Rookie League, it's certainly not out of the question.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?