Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Joey Gathright

Reds Sign Joey Gathright

Mark Sheldon ‏@m_sheldon
    According to newspaper in Connecticut, The Hour, #reds / AAA Louisville purchased contract OF Joey Gathright from independent Bridgeport.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Reds Sign Joey Gathright

Hm. He's terrible.

In his two full-ish seasons, his OPS+s were 61 (2006) and 59 (2008).

Interesting note about 2006. If Gathright had gotten 55 more PAs, the two worst OPS+ers in the AL would have both been Royals (Angel Berroa was at 52, one of the worst seasons ever).

Over in the NL, three of the worst five were Astros: Taveras (74), Everett (64), and Barmes (47!!!) That team finished second in the Central. We are in the weirdest division in baseball.

/end thread hijack
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Joey Gathright is what we don't want Billy Hamilton to turn into. Joey had some great minor league seasons based on his speed, and didn't do much of anything other than a nice 261 PAs in 2007.

From the Mexican league to the Atlantic league to the Reds.
    Go Gators!

So what is it that Louisville needs that has the club purchasing his contract from an independent league? Are his defensive skills such that, in an emergency, he helps somewhere? I'm not overly concerned, as this strikes me as the proverbial "organizational filler." Did someone get hurt down there that they're needing another body? Or have our scouts seen something that makes him possibly of some value now?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So what is it that Louisville needs that has the club purchasing his contract from an independent league? Are his defensive skills such that, in an emergency, he helps somewhere? I'm not overly concerned, as this strikes me as the proverbial "organizational filler." Did someone get hurt down there that they're needing another body? Or have our scouts seen something that makes him possibly of some value now?
    Who do the Reds call up if an OFer goes down? I think that's why they did it. At least Gathright has some expierence and is fast.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who do the Reds call up if an OFer goes down? I think that's why they did it. At least Gathright has some expierence and is fast.
    But, but, but....Willie Harris is still down there. *snicker*

Seriously though....I'd call up Danny Dorn in a heartbeat. I really think he deserves a cup o' joe after all this time. He's probably having his worst season right now...but if you need a warm body to fill in...I'd take him over Willie Harris for sure.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    But, but, but....Willie Harris is still down there. *snicker*

Seriously though....I'd call up Danny Dorn in a heartbeat. I really think he deserves a cup o' joe after all this time. He's probably having his worst season right now...but if you need a warm body to fill in...I'd take him over Willie Harris for sure.
    Willie Harris has had a very decent MLB career as a backup player. A couple of his seasons were actually pretty good.

He got off terribly this year, deserved to be sent down.

But I find it disturbing that his name is used as some kind of joke.

At least major league teams have found him suitable for their rosters over a number of years. The Reds think so little of Dorn he can't get a call up under any circumstances.

Free Willie.

Weren't you a big Gathright booster several years back? I think you may be a bit biased.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Weren't you a big Gathright booster several years back? I think you may be a bit biased.
    Hahaha I was hoping everyone would have forgotten that by now.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Well, Kris Negron is an everyday starter for the Bats. So, there's actually a chance he won't be the worst player on the team.

not much risk, at this point he's become a journey man grinder, good karma has to have been built up. Kris Negron's 4 hr so far this season has to be close to Gathright's career numbers, btw.

Joey Gathright may be the only player I like less than Willy Taveras.

If an OF goes down, call up anybody else.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Signing Gathright at this point seems like the kind of thing you do without telling anyone.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

There isn't a lot of help at Louisville right now. Kris Negron and Neftali Soto are the only healthy players who are on the 40-man roster. Paul Janish, Chris Valaika, and Denis Phipps are all on the DL, and Janish is the only one of the bunch who is swinging the bat well.

The only non-roster player who is swinging the bat at a decent clip is Dioner Navarro. Corky Miller and Bill Rhinehart have decent walk rates that boost their OBP. Rhinehart is the only OF of the group. Danny Dorn and Willie Harris both have batting averages near the Mendoza line and sub-.300 OBP's.

My guess would be that Negron would probably get the call, and Wilson Valdez and Todd Frazier would be called upon to provide depth in the OF.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?