Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you answer this??

Can you answer this??

What determines an organization to teach some players to learn how to switch hit? Billy Hamilton was a right handed batter, the reds made him bat and learn to swing from the left side. Why don't the Reds force more players to learn this skill?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Can you answer this??

Some are born with it, others aren't. I doubt you can force a guy to learn it by the time they are that far along, but I'm no expert.

I'm no expert, but I would guess it might be due to hamilton's off the charts athletic ability. Someone with that much talent can probably learn things easier.

For most guys it's probably hard enough to hit from one side of the plate, but that might be an interesting experiment within the rookie leagues or foreign leagues.

didnt realize this is possible. he must sucked from other side.

I think the reason the Reds encouraged (made) Hamilton into a switch hitter is because of his extreme speed and his lack of power. If his game is going to be based upon speed then it makes sense that it would be better for him to hit from the left side than the right side so that he could better utilize his speed.
    There was a story on the tube last night about how Chipper was being made into a switch hitter. Early in his minor league career he struggled so badly from the left side that he wanted to give it up. His manager at the time said okay. Well when the folks in the Front Office found out about it they immediately fired the minor league manager and told Chipper that he would hit left handed from then on. The rest, as they say, is history.

Hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, trying to be a switch hitter just multiplys that...

Alot of guys figure it out early on and then you have guys like Billy Hamilton who are gooffing around in a Rookie League batting cage and don't realize there are cameras with people who make the desisions watching

Can't imagine Jacoby trying to coach a switch-hitter...

Quote Originally Posted by miamiredskin View Post
    i could if it was possible. u no nothing about the guy.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

No, I can't answer the question. "We don't, we don't, we don't mess around"
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, trying to be a switch hitter just multiplys that...
    Have you tried hitting a golf ball.....lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Have you tried hitting a golf ball.....lol!!!
    I have played golf 3 times in my life, and will bet you I can hit it 15 times out of 15 swings. It might not go anywhere near where i want it, but I hit it. He was talking sports anyway lol.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiredskin View Post
    I get your point, and I'm with you. Jacoby may be the greatest hitting coach in existence, but you couldn't prove it by his time with the Reds. Where are the adjustments? Has anybody's approach improved at the plate? I don't know, but I'm not seeing it.

My son plays in a minor league and the team of 8-10 year olds we played last night had 3 kids switch-hitting in the game.

A little gung ho for me buy a lot of Dad's rush everything knowing their kids will grow up to be Chipper Jones or Pete Rose.

Turn Off Ads?