Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    To make a comparison with my home country..... I wish Uruguay would ween itself off Forlan, but the NT Coach refuses to do so. Refuses to let Cavani develop as the main striker, while Suarez would be the secondary striker and playmaker. Suarez can do pretty much anything from MF going forward.
    But the NT cannot get himself off Forlan and thinks it still 2010.
    Same with Lugano as the spine of the defense.

When a country has success with certain players after several years of middling results.... it seems like they get scared to be without them.
    Uruguay NT coach refuses to make 3 subtle changes in players and it has dragged the whole team down to almost out of the WC.

The US will make the WC, but they need to figure out quick if Donovan has anything left to really make it worthwhile to use him or let the new generation start doing it's thing.
    Watching the Confed Cup, I don't care if Forlan is on his last legs and Cavani is the supposed "it" boy. Forlan is vastly outplaying Cavani. I'm not a Cavani fan in general (and I really want Real Madrid to stay away from him), but he's been poor by any estimation.

FWIW, I think Uruguay's main problem is in the midfield. The team doesn't have a crew that can control the game.

As for Donovan, no one has taken his role since he stepped away from the USMNT. Eddie Johnson and Graham Zusi aren't the answers out on the wings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Watching the Confed Cup, I don't care if Forlan is on his last legs and Cavani is the supposed "it" boy. Forlan is vastly outplaying Cavani. I'm not a Cavani fan in general (and I really want Real Madrid to stay away from him), but he's been poor by any estimation.

FWIW, I think Uruguay's main problem is in the midfield. The team doesn't have a crew that can control the game.

As for Donovan, no one has taken his role since he stepped away from the USMNT. Eddie Johnson and Graham Zusi aren't the answers out on the wings.

I agree. Cavani needs service. He has Hamsik at Napoli, there is no Recoba or Francescoli by a long shot on the NT. Most of their MF is defensive minded more so than offense, which is an Uruguay tradition that I would like to see end. Uruguay plays that anti-tiki-taka.

If no one can take his role and he can still perform...he should still do so, I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I agree. Cavani needs service. He has Hamsik at Napoli, there is no Recoba or Francescoli by a long shot on the NT. Most of their MF is defensive minded more so than offense, which is an Uruguay tradition that I would like to see end. Uruguay plays that anti-tiki-taka.
    To give them credit, they've been able to ride Forlan and Suarez deep into the past few tournaments they've played in. Unless Nigeria can pull off a mega-upset of Spain, they'll be through to the semifinals in the Confed Cup.

Though I don't get why they won't play Gargano and Lodeiro in the MF together. Those are the two players most likely to give the team some fluidity.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To give them credit, they've been able to ride Forlan and Suarez deep into the past few tournaments they've played in. Unless Nigeria can pull off a mega-upset of Spain, they'll be through to the semifinals in the Confed Cup.

Though I don't get why they won't play Gargano and Lodeiro in the MF together. Those are the two players most likely to give the team some fluidity.
    Those 2 are up and down...Like Gaston Ramirez. Lodeiro was supposed to be just like Suarez, but he lacks his creativity and heart, guts and probably his crazy too. The team is starving for a creative MF...that can actually pass and control the ball. I think if they play Italy, they can go into the finals..Italy looks gassed out there in that climate.

To understand the NT Coach.....is basically almost like trying to figure out Dusty. He mixes and matches to the opponent, while relying a lot on vets he has had since 2007 (Lugano, Diego Perez, Eguren, Forlan and Scotti...all between 32-37 years old) He has rebuilt the system since he took over the whole process and Uruguay has made the u-17 and U-20 WC three times in a row. More than any other SA team, even Brazil and Argentina are not in the Under 20 this year. However...all the things that he has done, in a country of 3.5 million.... is still at the mercy of his stubborn nature. He could have started bringing in new players after 2011, and now it is too late to really do so.

Giuseppe Rossi, nowhere near the Italian National Team

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Giuseppe Rossi, nowhere near the Italian National Team
    If he was healthy, he would be. He's been out for a couple years due to an ACL tear and a setback during rehab.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    If he was healthy, he would be. He's been out for a couple years due to an ACL tear and a setback during rehab.
    Debatable. He's still a traitor

Any one been following the U/20 world cup? Was pleseantly suprised that we managed a 1-1 with Colombia. We even had a 16 yr old score and get mom, not bad for the youngest player in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    So Neymar just became a stud then?

Dempsey split his age 23 season between the MLS and Fullham. He only made 10 appearances and scored 1 goal for the nearly relegated lilywhites.
    Neymar? Really? The top clubs in Europe have wanted to sign Neymar since he was a boy. It was HIS choise to stay in Brazil before signing a contract with Barcelona. Talk about apples and oranges.

Jozy bounced around the crap leagues of Europe until he finally stuck in Holland. If he were a stud he would be lighting up the Italian, Spanish, or English leagues.

Since then Dempsey has tallied 50 goalds in the english premier league, perhaps the hardest league to score in. EPL vs Eredevise is not even a comparison. Until Jozy either plays well against European/South American/Mexican teams or does what he is currently doing in the Eredevise in a top club league I will consider him a player with a lot of potential that has not met it yet. I hope he does it though.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Neymar? Really? The top clubs in Europe have wanted to sign Neymar since he was a boy. It was HIS choise to stay in Brazil before signing a contract with Barcelona. Talk about apples and oranges.

Jozy bounced around the crap leagues of Europe until he finally stuck in Holland. If he were a stud he would be lighting up the Italian, Spanish, or English leagues.

Since then Dempsey has tallied 50 goalds in the english premier league, perhaps the hardest league to score in. EPL vs Eredevise is not even a comparison. Until Jozy either plays well against European/South American/Mexican teams or does what he is currently doing in the Eredevise in a top club league I will consider him a player with a lot of potential that has not met it yet. I hope he does it though.
    Just using your standard on what it takes to be elite...

Jozy played for Villarreal in the Spanish league at 19 and was transferred Hull City in the EPL right before he turned 20. He was dismissed from Hull for getting in a fight with his coach. Spent a few months in Turkey and then dominated in The Netherlands.

He was playing in upper level leagues as a teenager. He's now had 5 years playing ball in Europe, and is a much better player, at 23 than when he was "bouncing around the crap leagues of Europe" from 18-21. He is becoming a stud for the USMNT this qualifying season and hopefully it carries into the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Just using your standard on what it takes to be elite...

Jozy played for Villarreal in the Spanish league at 19 and was transferred Hull City in the EPL right before he turned 20. He was dismissed from Hull for getting in a fight with his coach. Spent a few months in Turkey and then dominated in The Netherlands.

He was playing in upper level leagues as a teenager. He's now had 5 years playing ball in Europe, and is a much better player, at 23 than when he was "bouncing around the crap leagues of Europe" from 18-21. He is becoming a stud for the USMNT this qualifying season and hopefully it carries into the WC.
    He had a total of 9 apearences with Villarreal and then he was loaned out to Hull City where he scored 1 goal in 28 appearences for a team that was relegated shortly after. Like I said, if he were good enough, EPL teams would have noticed when they were playing against him (I actually think most of his apperances were late in games, which is pretty sad) and would have attempted to sign him.

"playing" for upper level leagues is very relative, as he barely played and when he did he wasn't good enough.

I absolutely hope he plays well in the actual WC, but he won't be playing Honduras, Jamaica, Guatemala, etc in the WC.

You dodged my point about Neymar. Neymar could have been signed by any team on Planet Earth when he was a 16 year old boy, if he wanted to.

Altidore had to go to the Dutch league because he couldn't cut it with the big boys.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-24-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Neymar is a generational talent. I was using him as an example to prove your statement that Jozy hasn't done anything because he hasn't played on a top european team. Neither has Neymar. We all know he will perform at a high level (even with his small size), but he hasn't as of yet. The only person dodging points is you. You state hyperbole like its fact, then point out the player that doesn't fit your mold that I thought of in 3 seconds doesn't count.

So what Jozy didn't sets nets on fire when he was 19 playing in the top Spanish league. How is that a problem? HE WAS 19! HE MADE IT TO ONE OF THE TOP 3 SOCCER LEAGUES IN THE WORLD!! I don't think you fully understand the talent and effort to just get to that level. Most that get there that young or sooner are loaned out to gain experience. Dempsey didn't get regular playing time with Fullham until he was 24.

Jozy is not a finished product. There is already speculation he will be running up top for Sunderland next year. More pedigree than Dempsey had at the same age when he was getting started with Fullham. So he'll get to prove that he can "cut it with the big boys." Even then there is only so much you can tell about what a striker can do without service while playing on a team like Sunderland...

I think the USMNT will be rejoicing to have a player of Altidore's quality for the next 2 WCs.

Sunderland is just the first team he has been linked to publicly
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ummer-transfer

"Even earlier in the season, prior to Altidore’s goal-scoring breakthrough, AZ sporting director Earnie Stewart—himself a former U.S. international—revealed on the club website that “scouts from big clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have visited AZ games,” wanting to watch the American up close."

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/...uropean-clubs/

Jozy Altidore's performance for AZ Alkmaar this season are beginning to turn the heads of clubs from the Premier League and around Europe.

They are the sentiments of AZ's sporting director Earnest Stewart who has revealed that scouts from English top flight clubs, and from various regions on the European mainland, have regularly been watching the Dutch side with American striker Altidore one of the standouts.

Stewart also confirmed that there was a bid for Altidore, who has scored 12 goals in all competitions this term, late in the summer transfer window but AZ were not keen on doing business.

"I can confirm that there was a bid for Jozy from a wealthy club from Eastern Europe," Stewart told the club's official website.

"The bid was received at a very late moment, therefore we couldn't sign an adequate replacement. For us, it wasn't interesting.

"Also, Jozy was keen to stay at AZ. After years of travelling, he has really found a home. He doesn't want to just leave the club.

"However, I won't say whether interest will increase during the winter break or at the end of the season. Jozy is developing fantastically, is a real target man for the team and translates that into goals.

"Something like that isn't missed abroad. Also this season scouts from big clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have visited AZ games."
    The 2nd article is from November

Any of you guys in the American Outlaws chapter in Cincy or Cbus? A roommate and I were hoping to get tickets to the Mexico match in September.

Watching the u-20 World Cup us vs Ghana. Rodriguez is impressing me, defense is really underwhelming in the first half. Is there any names to watch for? Will Trap seemed to be active from midfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?