Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Bengals Discussion

2015 Bengals Discussion

If I had my druthers, the Bengals would bring in a QB to compete with Dalton. I do not think Dalton has what it takes to take the Bengals to the next level, especially if you look at the teams that have advanced in the playoffs multiple times over the last 5-10 years. That said, I understand why Marvin doesn't want to do it: 2015 is a now-or-never year for both Marvin and Dalton. If they can't advance past the first round of the playoffs in 2015, I think it's time to blow it up and start over with a new coach, new coordinators, and a new QB. It will be the perfect time - Marvin's contract is up, Dalton no longer has a guarantee, and I don't think either of the current coordinators are anything special - certainly not head coaching material.

Furthermore, I think 2015 is make-or-break for more than just Lewis and Dalton. I think everyone is on notice- with a few notable exceptions. Only the following 8 guys have earned a roster spot beyond 2015 - everyone else must earn their keep and prove their worth next season in order to have a spot in 2016:

RB Gio Bernard
    RB Jeremy Hill
    WR AJ Green
    FB/TE Ryan Hewitt
    OG Kevin Zeitler
    OG Clint Boling (assuming he's re-signed)
    DE Carlos Dunlap
    LB Vontaze Burfict
    CB Dre Kirkpatrick
    CB Darqueze Dennard
    FS Reggie Nelson
    SS George Iloka

Not on this list:

Geno Atkins - must improve on 2014 performance in order to justify his salary in 2016
    Pacman Jones - could still be around as he was good this year but is getting long in the tooth
    Leon Hall - looks washed up. Barring a bounceback 2015, he could be finished
    Tyler Eifert - needs to prove he can stay healthy and produce in 2015. If he does, he should be a longterm fixture.
    Russell Bodine - jury is still out although he was decent for a rookie. I'd expect him to be a longterm starter but want to see a little more in 2015.
    Mo Sanu - proved in the second half that he is not a #2 WR. Hopefully the team realizes that too.
    Marvin Jones - needs to show he can shake off 2014's injuries to return to 2013-level productivity.
    Andrew Whitworth - not a given he'll still be playing after next year.
    Andre Smith - likely gone via FA after 2015
    All other DL and LB - need to prove their value in 2015, 2014 was disappointing for all except maybe Malauga. Still, Peko, and Hunt were particularly disappointing in 2014 and I wouldn't expect any of them to be around after next year.

Again, not saying all or even any of the guys listed above should be pushed out of town, just that they need to produce in 2015 in order to earn their spots as part of this team's future in 2016 and beyond. Nothing is guaranteed, especially with them.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2015 Bengals Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If I had my druthers, the Bengals would bring in a QB to compete with Dalton. I do not think Dalton has what it takes to take the Bengals to the next level, especially if you look at the teams that have advanced in the playoffs multiple times over the last 5-10 years. That said, I understand why Marvin doesn't want to do it: 2015 is a now-or-never year for both Marvin and Dalton. If they can't advance past the first round of the playoffs in 2015, I think it's time to blow it up and start over with a new coach, new coordinators, and a new QB. It will be the perfect time - Marvin's contract is up, Dalton no longer has a guarantee, and I don't think either of the current coordinators are anything special - certainly not head coaching material.

Furthermore, I think 2015 is make-or-break for more than just Lewis and Dalton. I think everyone is on notice- with a few notable exceptions. Only the following 8 guys have earned a roster spot beyond 2015 - everyone else must earn their keep and prove their worth next season in order to have a spot in 2016:

RB Gio Bernard
    RB Jeremy Hill
    WR AJ Green
    FB/TE Ryan Hewitt
    OG Kevin Zeitler
    OG Clint Boling (assuming he's re-signed)
    DE Carlos Dunlap
    LB Vontaze Burfict
    CB Dre Kirkpatrick
    CB Darqueze Dennard
    FS Reggie Nelson
    SS George Iloka

Not on this list:

Geno Atkins - must improve on 2014 performance in order to justify his salary in 2016
    Pacman Jones - could still be around as he was good this year but is getting long in the tooth
    Leon Hall - looks washed up. Barring a bounceback 2015, he could be finished
    Tyler Eifert - needs to prove he can stay healthy and produce in 2015. If he does, he should be a longterm fixture.
    Russell Bodine - jury is still out although he was decent for a rookie. I'd expect him to be a longterm starter but want to see a little more in 2015.
    Mo Sanu - proved in the second half that he is not a #2 WR. Hopefully the team realizes that too.
    Marvin Jones - needs to show he can shake off 2014's injuries to return to 2013-level productivity.
    Andrew Whitworth - not a given he'll still be playing after next year.
    Andre Smith - likely gone via FA after 2015
    All other DL and LB - need to prove their value in 2015, 2014 was disappointing for all except maybe Malauga. Still, Peko, and Hunt were particularly disappointing in 2014 and I wouldn't expect any of them to be around after next year.

Again, not saying all or even any of the guys listed above should be pushed out of town, just that they need to produce in 2015 in order to earn their spots as part of this team's future in 2016 and beyond. Nothing is guaranteed, especially with them.
    Agree with the list as a whole. I wouldn't be surprised if Hall is a cap casualty this spring.
    I'm honestly not sure Kirkpatrick & Dennard have proven they'll be worth keeping around past 2015. They haven't done anything to disprove that, they just haven't played enough to know what their value will be past this season. Will certainly be interesting as they likely fill in Hall & Newman's roles this year.

Jones has at the very least shown that he'll earn his $$$ in the return game, but that means three CB's have to move ahead of him on the depth chart to guarantee he's not wearing himself out playing both Special Teams and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The news that Vontaze Burfict underwent microfracture knee surgery is a pretty big blow. His surgeon says he should be ready to go for camp, but that's a pretty dicey surgery and a lot of guys have never been the same. Hoping that isn't the case here. But if Burfict isn't the same guy going forward, our defense could be in real trouble over the next few years. With the secondary getting old, the D-line under-performing, and the linebackers outside of Burfict underwhelming, we need a big time infusion of talent in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The news that Vontaze Burfict underwent microfracture knee surgery is a pretty big blow. His surgeon says he should be ready to go for camp, but that's a pretty dicey surgery and a lot of guys have never been the same. Hoping that isn't the case here. But if Burfict isn't the same guy going forward, our defense could be in real trouble over the next few years. With the secondary getting old, the D-line under-performing, and the linebackers outside of Burfict underwhelming, we need a big time infusion of talent in the draft.
    It would be a huge mistake to count on having Burfict being a positive contributor in the future. They need to move on as if he's no longer in their plans, and if he's lucky enough to be able to continue his learning process of playing Linebacker in the NFL, then they should think of it as a bonus. It's bad enough that he's going to be wasting a valuable roster spot next season (or the one after or both) while he tries to rehab from this latest injury.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner admits Bengals DT Domata Peko is a candidate for release.

Peko, 30, carries a $3.7 million cap hit for 2015, and the Bengals can recoup all of that without a dead-money charge by releasing him. We know the Bengals scouts read Rotoworld as we saw on Hard Knocks a couple years back. Peko has been one of the least-effective defensive tackles in the league the past few seasons, per PFF. He was a major part of the Bengals' troublesome run defense.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner admits Bengals DT Domata Peko is a candidate for release.

Peko, 30, carries a $3.7 million cap hit for 2015, and the Bengals can recoup all of that without a dead-money charge by releasing him. We know the Bengals scouts read Rotoworld as we saw on Hard Knocks a couple years back. Peko has been one of the least-effective defensive tackles in the league the past few seasons, per PFF. He was a major part of the Bengals' troublesome run defense.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    Should have been done 2 years ago

8. Likes:

Benihana (02-06-2015),Kingspoint (02-05-2015)

I would sign him for league minimum to play FB in goal line situations only.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I would sign him for league minimum to play FB in goal line situations only.
    A waste of a roster spot with Hewitt available.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Should have been done 2 years ago
    Peko may not have been great, and he was probably overpaid, but he played a roll that the Bengals needed. Maybe he should have played as much, but who was going to play over him?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Peko may not have been great, and he was probably overpaid, but he played a roll that the Bengals needed. Maybe he should have played as much, but who was going to play over him?
    By keeping him on the roster it made management lazy about fixing the position.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Was kinda hoping Shawn Oakman would declare for the draft this year. Imagine Hunt and him lined up at the same time...
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Finally....

Bengals released DE Robert Geathers.

A career Bengal, Geathers was ostensibly kept on the last several years as a legacy. He offered very little on the field. Now going on age 32, Geathers may struggle to find more than a camp invite at the minimum salary.

Now, for Peko...(and I wouldn't mind seeing Maualuga gone, as he simply can't cover anyone as a Linebacker).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Finally....

Bengals released DE Robert Geathers.

A career Bengal, Geathers was ostensibly kept on the last several years as a legacy. He offered very little on the field. Now going on age 32, Geathers may struggle to find more than a camp invite at the minimum salary.

Now, for Peko...(and I wouldn't mind seeing Maualuga gone, as he simply can't cover anyone as a Linebacker).
    I'd say this move was long overdue. I'm fine keeping Peko until we increase depth at the position but I'd like to think they'd do that by Labor Day

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Greg Hardy anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Greg Hardy anyone?
    Very possibly the Bengals best chance of obtaining a Free Agent that would have a huge impact on the team, mainly because the Bengals don't shy away from players with "reputations", as Mike Brown has so adamantly stated recently. Brown only believes in what they are like when they wear the Bengals' uniform. Hardy won't be considered a possibility by 3/4th's of the teams, placing the Bengals in another opportunity to find a bargain among the unwanted. In this matter, I'm OK with it (I'm not implying that he wasn't guilty), as Hardy's charges were dropped, he's extremely well rested and healthy, and has several High Quality seasons left as an impact Defensive Player.

Free agent DE Greg Hardy will meet with NFL officials on Wednesday.

Hardy remains hidden away on the commissioner's exempt list, and the league remains intent on issuing a suspension. That's despite the fact that Hardy's domestic-violence charges have been dropped, while he's already served a de facto 15-game ban. Hardy had sought a resolution by March 5. Wednesday is March 4, with free agency opening March 10.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Hardy posted photographs Tuesday from New York on his social media accounts. When a fan noted the scene was not of Charlotte, Hardy replied, “They kicked me outta there lol.”

A district judge in Mecklenburg County found Hardy guilty in July of assaulting and threatening to kill ex-girlfriend Nicole Holder during an early-morning altercation at Hardy’s uptown condo last May. Hardy immediately appealed the decision and was granted a jury trial, which was scheduled to begin Feb. 9. The morning of the trial, however, prosecutors told the judge they were dropping the charges because multiple attempts to find Holder – including setting up surveillance at her new residence – were unsuccessful. District attorney Andrew Murray said Hardy had reached a settlement with Holder for an undisclosed amount to settle any civil claims.

Hardy made $13.1 million last season while playing in only one game – the season opener at Tampa Bay. He was deactivated for a Week 2 game against Detroit, then went on the commissioner’s exempt list for the remainder of the season. The NFL tried unsuccessfully to have the evidence from Hardy’s bench trial unsealed. But the exhibits, which included photographs showing Holder’s injuries, had been returned to the district attorney’s office and Hardy’s attorney two days before the NFL filed its motion. Hardy’s representatives indicated last week they would seek immediate reinstatement after a federal judge sided with Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson in his disciplinary dealings with the league. But an NFL official said Hardy – who remains on the exempt list – had yet to be disciplined and therefore could not be reinstated. Independent arbiter David Doty has ruled the league's new domestic-violence policy can't be applied retroactively, leaving Hardy's placement on the commissioner's exempt list in violation of the CBA. It's still up to the league to actually reinstate Hardy, however, while it might continue its quixotic legal quest.

Turn Off Ads?