Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hope Altidore stays in form, we need him hot at the World Cup.
    He's what 23? He is about to explode. Awesome talent and athlete and is beginning to put it all together.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Australia made the world cup last night but did it tough. Needed a win last night at home v Iraq and waited until the 83min to get a winner. Great night tho and now 3 world cups in a row.

Glad Australia made it in. The US all but clinched a spot this evening, too.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Congrats to the Aussies! A fan since the 06 cup and the Italy game.

However heres a write-up on Jozy following his 4th goal in 4 games.

I watched most of the game yesterday but fell asleep just after the goal (working a long run of nights is brutal and staying up an extra 3 hours after you get off to watch the game doesn't help matters...) But the US looked good. A lot of creative builds that started lightning fast. Zusi is going to be a stud in Brazil. I like his play and one touch passing. Kid sees the entire field and played physical when he had to. Anyone else know anything about his game? It was the first time I was able to watch our home team play in awhile. Just curious on anyone elses thoughts.

Last night was a solid game. Honduras packed it in and the US missed a few chances to break that open. Similar to the last game though, there was a lot more creativity in passing and some good chances. I think I prefer to have Cameron playing next to Bradley instead of Jones. It was good to see Zusi settle down in the second half.

Overall you can't complain about 9 points and being top of the group. They took care of business and didn't look too bad doing it most of the time.

I watched most of the 2nd half and here are my thoughts.

I really like Michael Bradley as a midfielder. He solidifies the team and plays like a true midfielder.

Geoff Cameron is probably one of the top 5 players on the US team yet can't find the field. There needs to be a way the US can get him on the field more, much more.

Brad Evans seems like the weakest link. I was shocked he has played most of the past 2 games. Does the US team really not have a better answer?

Jozy is a beast!

8. Likes:

Slyder (06-19-2013)

Agreed on Jones. He just scares the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Brad Evans seems like the weakest link. I was shocked he has played most of the past 2 games. Does the US team really not have a better answer?
    Evans has filled in ok, but I think against better competition and strikers would have been exposed. I don't think Evans will be a starter once we get the WC or even the next round of qualifers. Chandler is going to start and I think you could possibly see Johson or even Cherundolo on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Evans has filled in ok, but I think against better competition and strikers would have been exposed. I don't think Evans will be a starter once we get the WC or even the next round of qualifers. Chandler is going to start and I think you could possibly see Johson or even Cherundolo on the other side.
    Gotcha. I forgot about Cherundolo since he has been absent from the team.

I guess what I notice is from time to time the US team is sloppy especially with their first touches. There were several times last night that didn't matter because they really weren't being pressured. It seems as if that plagues Evans quite a bit and as a defender that spells trouble.

It may be my rudimentary soccer knowledge but too often there are situations deep in the US zone when they try to make too much of a play instead of clearing the ball. For a team that tends to be sloppy that can lead to good shots for the opponent.

Altidore disappears against European/South American/Mexican teams. I am happy about what he is doing, but I will not be excited about his play until he does it against good competition.

Just not a fan of Jones on this squad. The things he provides are redundant, his touch is below average, he struggles to provide linkage up top, etc. I would be somewhat intrigued by moving Cameron to midfield permanently and trying Jones as a center back.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Altidore disappears against European/South American/Mexican teams. I am happy about what he is doing, but I will not be excited about his play until he does it against good competition.
    Like Germany?

I know what are you saying though. That is how I feel about the whole team right now. Everything looks good and we are beating teams we should beat, which is a nice change from some past performances, but it is hard to get a true feel for how they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Like Germany?

I know what are you saying though. That is how I feel about the whole team right now. Everything looks good and we are beating teams we should beat, which is a nice change from some past performances, but it is hard to get a true feel for how they are playing.
    I don't get all the praise the US is getting for beating Germany. It was their B team with most if not all of the starters that comprise their WC team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How about like against Spain in the semis of the 09 Confederations Cup? When he was only 19 btw. He is a stud.

Scoring is tough. You can do everything right for an entire game, not get a good look from either poor service or poor luck, and come out looking/feeling like a failure as a striker.

Source: lifetime of playing forward from youth leagues through college.

Turn Off Ads?