Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

That roster was so weak, I will refrain from making any overarching judgments.

Lack of offense has been a concern throughout the JK era, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

I have noticed that in most of the big games/tournaments, its defense and the middle fielders who dominate. If JK is focusing on the defensive end to eliminate the slow starts and give away goals I would be happy as a fan.

Now the US may not have the world class midfielders that have dominated over the past tournaments, but I can see the focus on D.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have noticed that in most of the big games/tournaments, its defense and the middle fielders who dominate. If JK is focusing on the defensive end to eliminate the slow starts and give away goals I would be happy as a fan.

Now the US may not have the world class midfielders that have dominated over the past tournaments, but I can see the focus on D.
    US has always struggled to create quality chances, it's nothing new.

Bunkerball is almost always a bad decision in international soccer, IMO. It either: 1) allows an inferior team to hang around and steal a result late or 2) allows a superior team to basically play around with your squad and net a few goals at their leisure.

Taking it to the other team, as much as your team is capable, is almost always the best strategy.

Sort of similar to how often teams ending up losing in football when they go to a prevent defense.

Several guys have been scoring a lot for their clubs, so hopefully that translates over to the National Team. Altidore has been in fantastic form and Gomez ended really strong in Mexico last season. Neither guy is Messi, but combined with better midfield play from guys like Bradley and Dempsey should help the offense.

Bunkerball is almost always a bad decision in international soccer, IMO. It either: 1) allows an inferior team to hang around and steal a result late or 2) allows a superior team to basically play around with your squad and net a few goals at their leisure.

Taking it to the other team, as much as your team is capable, is almost always the best strategy.

Sort of similar to how often teams ending up losing in football when they go to a prevent defense.
    I agree. Wasn't this the(a) criticism of Bob Bradley, they were usually well organized defensively but had no creativity or rhythm offensively?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

First qualifer is today in Honduras at the super convienent time of 4PM EST on beIn Sports. Hope we can get this started off with 3 points on the road, but I'm guessing this will be more like a 1-1 tie. A lot of these guys played this past weekend and then flew a long way to play a game in 90 degree heat and humdity.

Garbage. This team may just miss the World Cup for the first time since 1986...

It's shocking how bad the defense was on that last goal.

Crap from Howard and utter crap from both central defenders.

Klinsmann has done a terrible job blending the new talent into this team. Waiting until WORLD CUP QUALIFYING to "blend" players was absolutely idiotic.

That was a dreadful performance.

I'm concerned about our ability to qualify.

Didn't get to watch, but I was afraid of that happening. We should still have no problem qualifying since that is likely the 3rd hardest game we have to play, but still would have been better to get a point out of it. It's never easy.

I have seen zero from this team or Klinsmann that makes me believe they'll have "no trouble" qualifying.

Hopefully Costa Rica won't beat us at home next game.

Anytime I see the thread title I think of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, TMNT.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

14. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (02-10-2013),WMR (02-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    First qualifer is today in Honduras at the super convienent time of 4PM EST on beIn Sports. Hope we can get this started off with 3 points on the road, but I'm guessing this will be more like a 1-1 tie. A lot of these guys played this past weekend and then flew a long way to play a game in 90 degree heat and humdity.
    Didn't get to see it because it was on the elusive beIN Sport. Hmm. Interesting how USMNT road games, whose broadcast rights are owned by the home team's federation, are showing up on beIN, owned by the Qataris. Coincidence?

I've been hearing that beIN's huge payouts for tv rights to various soccer leagues and competitions are part of the quid-pro-quos promised in exchange for voting Qatar over the US for the 2022 World Cup. France Football, the paper that awards the Ballon d'Or for the top international footballer of the year, published details about the Qataris' dealings with the French President and UEFA President Michel Platini in order to secure French support for their bid. Note that since the vote the Qataris paid big money for Paris St. Germain and Ligue 1 tv rights, among other things.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wow Jamaica just hung on to tie Mexico 0-0 in Mexico City. Honestly they should have won. Honduras was the only team able to get 3 points today. I guess that's your silver lining US fans.

17. Likes:

WMR (02-06-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I know they still get a point out of it, but that's a brutal result for Mexico playing in Azteca.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?