Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Poor first touches and lack of possession-play has been a problem that has plagued the US side for decades throughout multiple regimes at the top.

At what point do you recognize that there's a deeper problem with how we develop talent in this country beyond just who is running the USMNT?
    Soccer is starting to get the athletes that previous generations would have been reserved for football, basketball, or baseball but in many leagues its parents coaching and they don't know the first thing about soccer coaching and very few camps or clinics for the parents/coaches and that puts many kids in the US behind when they start getting closer to middle school and high school.

Please note these are my own opinions of youth soccer.

Here locally we anchor development/understanding of players by playing these small sided fields where anyone with any sort of coordination can kick it from end to end, lose out of playing midfield, lose out on the concept of moving the defense up, and stick way too many kids on a team. I have lost track of the number of times I show up and at least 1 if not both teams have enough players to make 2 teams and just sub everyone at once. If you are going to do that lets extend the field and let more kids play at all times (adding 15 yds in length & 5 yds in width, and play 8 on 8 rather than 6 on 6 with 6 subs).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

LMAO
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Pretty solid first half vs. Germany. As concerned as I was the other night, I feel pretty good about half of the US lineup.

Bradley and Jones/Edu will play in some Midfield version. Dempsey and Altidore will play in an offensive role.

Beasley has played at well at LB as anyone not named Fabian Johnson so one of them starts at that spot. If it's Beasley, Johnson is in the mix for left wing.

That leaves basically the rest of the back line and the right wing/forward position. No problem right?
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 06-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

We are the best in the world!

The biggest problem right now is consistency. Some games they play like world beaters and then they lay an egg. I was disappointed with the result against Belgium and I'm not putting too much stock in a win against Germany's B team. But then in friendlies, that's the time to try out new things. I'm more focused on how they do in games that count. That being said, I hope I don't see Beasley on the pitch for much longer.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

7. Likes:

WMR (06-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The biggest problem right now is consistency. Some games they play like world beaters and then they lay an egg. I was disappointed with the result against Belgium and I'm not putting too much stock in a win against Germany's B team. But then in friendlies, that's the time to try out new things. I'm more focused on how they do in games that count. That being said, I hope I don't see Beasley on the pitch for much longer.
    I didn't see the second half, but I had gotten the impression he had played reasonably well?

In any event, it seems more likely that Castillo will play LB anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Soccer is starting to get the athletes that previous generations would have been reserved for football, basketball, or baseball but in many leagues its parents coaching and they don't know the first thing about soccer coaching and very few camps or clinics for the parents/coaches and that puts many kids in the US behind when they start getting closer to middle school and high school.

Here locally we anchor development/understanding of players by playing these small sided fields where anyone with any sort of coordination can kick it from end to end, lose out of playing midfield, lose out on the concept of moving the defense up, and stick way too many kids on a team. I have lost track of the number of times I show up and at least 1 if not both teams have enough players to make 2 teams and just sub everyone at once. If you are going to do that lets extend the field and let more kids play at all times (adding 15 yds in length & 5 yds in width, and play 8 on 8 rather than 6 on 6 with 6 subs).
    I understand that development is very important in churning out soccer players. But I think the massive problem is the number of players, or lack thereof, playing in Europe. If you look at most of the best national teams they are full of European players. I think when half of your team is playing in the MLS you will see sloppy play because you can get away with it. You can get away with sloppy first touches because the opposing players aren't there to take advantage of it.

IMO the better competition you play against the better you get. The more pressing basic fundamental skill become because you can't get away with mistakes. I realize that US Soccer has a huge obligation to MLS, but if you want to put the best team on the field you need to make a more pressing effort to get as many players in Europe as possible.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

Can't disagree with most of that, but that's a predictable and unavoidable byproduct of a simple fact: there aren't all that many grownups in the U.S. who grew up playing soccer at a high level and know how to teach it accordingly.

I'll point at myself here. When my daughter was four, we signed her up for youth soccer. At that point, I knew the basic rules of the game and had watched World Cup, but otherwise knew little about the game. I was talked into coaching, basically for the simple fact that they were short of coaches (of any caliber) and if someone didn't take a team, a bunch of kids were going to end up waitlisted.

I'll give myself a little credit and say I think I did a pretty good job at U6 and U8 (after the initial begging-for-advice stage). As good as a lifelong player would have? Probably not. But then, I didn't coach anyone who looked destined to be the next Alex Morgan, so I don't think I did any damage to the ecosystem. Nonetheless, a lot more youth soccer coaches are like me than like... well, someone who knows how to get a six-year-old to understand the kind of things you were talking about.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It's not the USMNT but heading to see the Soccerroos play Jordan on Tuesday night (our time) need to win to keep our hopes alive for Brazil. Been a shocking qualifying campaign. In this stage we are 1 W 4 D 1 L.

12. Likes:

WMR (06-06-2013)

Get some pics PLEASE, Aussie red!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Can't disagree with most of that, but that's a predictable and unavoidable byproduct of a simple fact: there aren't all that many grownups in the U.S. who grew up playing soccer at a high level and know how to teach it accordingly.

I'll point at myself here. When my daughter was four, we signed her up for youth soccer. At that point, I knew the basic rules of the game and had watched World Cup, but otherwise knew little about the game. I was talked into coaching, basically for the simple fact that they were short of coaches (of any caliber) and if someone didn't take a team, a bunch of kids were going to end up waitlisted.

I'll give myself a little credit and say I think I did a pretty good job at U6 and U8 (after the initial begging-for-advice stage). As good as a lifelong player would have? Probably not. But then, I didn't coach anyone who looked destined to be the next Alex Morgan, so I don't think I did any damage to the ecosystem. Nonetheless, a lot more youth soccer coaches are like me than like... well, someone who knows how to get a six-year-old to understand the kind of things you were talking about.
    I applaud you for stepping up and doing it. My major complaint is with the leagues and federation not giving people that opportunity to try and learn from someone or have videos to help explain things so that people have a better understanding of the rules. I've lost track of the number of times that I've heard parents (while reffing) say they learned more by just watching me than they had the rest of the year.

Also the leagues need to find some way to keep teams at managable numbers or ensure more kids are able to play at one time. No more of this 6 on 6 with each team having 12 kids. That hurts the time they are on the field. If you're going to have 12 kids on the team play 8 on 8 on a bigger field, more kids get to play, few kids sit the bench to not pay attention to the game, and you still should have plenty of subs when someone is tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    It's not the USMNT but heading to see the Soccerroos play Jordan on Tuesday night (our time) need to win to keep our hopes alive for Brazil. Been a shocking qualifying campaign. In this stage we are 1 W 4 D 1 L.
    I missed the last two games because I was in Sydney and Melbourne. Watched the Japan game in Sydney with a friend. Brutal. Best of luck to the Socerroos though, had a great time down under.

Are they lacking in quality for any reason in this WCQ? I remember them well in 2006.....how they beast my country of origin, Uruguay in the playoff...after Uruguay beat them in 2002. Uruguay had Forlan out with injury and their best defender Pablo Montero went out early in the 2nd leg...but Australia showed how much they improved after 2002, and Uruguay had some arrogance to them that they thought the WC place.....was owed to them, instead of won.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Are they lacking in quality for any reason in this WCQ? I remember them well in 2006.....how they beast my country of origin, Uruguay in the playoff...after Uruguay beat them in 2002. Uruguay had Forlan out with injury and their best defender Pablo Montero went out early in the 2nd leg...but Australia showed how much they improved after 2002, and Uruguay had some arrogance to them that they thought the WC place.....was owed to them, instead of won.
    Oh what a night that was, i still watch that penality shoot out every now and again, Schwarzer who is still our #1 at 40 pulled off 2 brilliant saves in that shoot out to break our 32 year drought....still get tingles thinking about it.

That was probably a golden age for Australian Football, we had good players around their peak playing for top clubs around europe. Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka, Neil, Cullina, Aloisi, Lazaridis, Emerton, Moore, Grella, Chipperfield. Of the players that are still around Bresciano, Cahill and Neil are all 34 and not playing in as high a standard now days. The players we now have are no where near the same quality and most of with play in lesser leagues or in the A-league.

In 2006 we did very well in Germany, we made the last 16 and only lost to a 90th minute Pen to eventual winners Italy even tho Italy were down to 10 men and we were all over them.

Oh what a night that was, i still watch that penality shoot out every now and again, Schwarzer who is still our #1 at 40 pulled off 2 brilliant saves in that shoot out to break our 32 year drought....still get tingles thinking about it.

That was probably a golden age for Australian Football, we had good players around their peak playing for top clubs around europe. Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka, Neil, Cullina, Aloisi, Lazaridis, Emerton, Moore, Grella, Chipperfield. Of the players that are still around Bresciano, Cahill and Neil are all 34 and not playing in as high a standard now days. The players we now have are no where near the same quality and most of with play in lesser leagues or in the A-league.

In 2006 we did very well in Germany, we made the last 16 and only lost to a 90th minute Pen to eventual winners Italy even tho Italy were down to 10 men and we were all over them.

Tough when you think your country has turned the corner and is ready to dole out fresh replacements....to at least keep you relevant.

It is amazing how some of these countries....can have B teams that are better than most A teams.

The only thing I can take from the recent bad form of my country these last 2 years...after their record 15th Copa America.... is that their U-17 and U-20 teams have made the WC 3 years in a row...which no one in SA has done. Even Brazil and Argentina did not make the U-20 WC this year. That has never happened.

Turn Off Ads?