Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Really not excited about Michael Bradley going to Toronto.

Your 3 best players in a World Cup Year are playing against inferior competition.

While your best goal scorer and starting striker is playing against superior competition when it would have been better for him to stay at AZ and put in 30+ goals again.
    Ugh. This just ticks me off on so many levels. Not only is Bradley coming back, but he's coming to a weak TFC side that has decided to spend up to $100 million in transfer fees and salaries just on Bradley and Jermain Defoe. That's about 80% of the team's value of $121 million according to Forbes. And TFC has been pretty much terrible for most of their existence, which means they'll have 4 good players and a bunch of scrubs.

Then you have the fact that MLS may well be kicking in as much as $10 million to help TFC make the acquisition, after they chipped in $9 million to help Seattle get Dempsey. So when does the Columbus Crew get their huge pile of cash to sign a big name?

And let's not forget that TFC already has two Designated Players on the roster, so unless MLS is changing the rules again, they'll have 4, one over the limit of 3.

I was a little concerned when MLS said they would expand by four teams by 2020. My concern was too much too soon, especially after the wave they just had. Now, when you have a team spending almost as much as the team is worth to acquire two players, I begin to wonder if the league has caught NASL disease.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Really not excited about Michael Bradley going to Toronto.

Your 3 best players in a World Cup Year are playing against inferior competition.

While your best goal scorer and starting striker is playing against superior competition when it would have been better for him to stay at AZ and put in 30+ goals again.
    I'm always amazed at the blithe disregard players have for finding the right fit, or sticking around when they've found it. Bradley would be a great fit in Germany (Hamburg, Hertha Berlin). Sevilla and Espanyol in Spain, some of the better teams in France, Ajax - Bradley would thrive in those places. In general, I'd like to see more Americans heading to France (best thing that ever happened to Alejandro Bedoya) and Germany. Jozy certainly should have headed in that direction rather than sign on for some plodding team at the bottom the EPL, which he's already been through once before.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Also according to TuttoMercato, Sunderland and PSV Eindhoven have made contact with Roma over the transfer of Michael Bradley.

However, they'd have to pull something pretty significant out of the bag with reports from Canada and the US overnight stating that Toronto FC have offered him $6.5million per year.

That's £4m-ish a year, or £75k per week.

So if the Black Cats want him they're either going to have to make him their best-paid player or convince him that he'd be better served in the Premier League than taking an MLS move.

If the rumors are true, Bradley would be paid $6.5 million/yr and the transfer fee Roma would receive would be $7-10 million.
    For context, that salary would be higher than everyone on Roma except for DeRossi, who just got extended last year. Good deal for Michael.
    It is a tremendous transfer fee for a backup defensive midfielder, which is Bradley's role in a very good Roma midfield (DDR, Strootman, Pjanic are the 3 starters and Naingolan just transferred to Roma). Essentially the transfer fee pays for Nainggolan's arrival and three South American teenage starlets also coming to Roma in this mercato.
    I credit Bradley for his exceptional fitness and work rate. However, he frustrated Roma fans with his lower than average technical ability, which was displayed in poor finishing and far too conservative passing decisions. He also frustrated us with his awful tactical sense of the game. He often looked like he was running around without a clue, which hurt the team's organization.
    I will always remember his Udinese match-winning goal. Good luck in Toronto and WC 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    If the rumors are true, Bradley would be paid $6.5 million/yr and the transfer fee Roma would receive would be $7-10 million.
    For context, that salary would be higher than everyone on Roma except for DeRossi, who just got extended last year. Good deal for Michael.
    It is a tremendous transfer fee for a backup defensive midfielder, which is Bradley's role in a very good Roma midfield (DDR, Strootman, Pjanic are the 3 starters and Naingolan just transferred to Roma). Essentially the transfer fee pays for Nainggolan's arrival and three South American teenage starlets also coming to Roma in this mercato.
    I credit Bradley for his exceptional fitness and work rate. However, he frustrated Roma fans with his lower than average technical ability, which was displayed in poor finishing and far too conservative passing decisions. He also frustrated us with his awful tactical sense of the game. He often looked like he was running around without a clue, which hurt the team's organization.
    I will always remember his Udinese match-winning goal. Good luck in Toronto and WC 2014.
    I will always remember the Italian play-by-play man screaming "Lex Luthor!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Ugh. This just ticks me off on so many levels. Not only is Bradley coming back, but he's coming to a weak TFC side that has decided to spend up to $100 million in transfer fees and salaries just on Bradley and Jermain Defoe. That's about 80% of the team's value of $121 million according to Forbes. And TFC has been pretty much terrible for most of their existence, which means they'll have 4 good players and a bunch of scrubs.

Then you have the fact that MLS may well be kicking in as much as $10 million to help TFC make the acquisition, after they chipped in $9 million to help Seattle get Dempsey. So when does the Columbus Crew get their huge pile of cash to sign a big name?

And let's not forget that TFC already has two Designated Players on the roster, so unless MLS is changing the rules again, they'll have 4, one over the limit of 3.

I was a little concerned when MLS said they would expand by four teams by 2020. My concern was too much too soon, especially after the wave they just had. Now, when you have a team spending almost as much as the team is worth to acquire two players, I begin to wonder if the league has caught NASL disease.
    I'm wondering if this is more a response to the threat -- real or perceived -- from the enormous increase in exposure and coverage for the EPL in the US under the new NBC deal this season.

MLS has had the US soccer market to itself since it's founding, outside of the odd live match on Fox Soccer Channel (which most people didn't get) or Univision (which most people don't understand). With the NBC deal, there are live EPL matches on every weekend on both over-the-air television (NBC) and NBCSN (available in 70% of American households).

I can see how MLS would feel some pressure to up it's level of play (players) and exposure level (expansion) to remain the first outlet for soccer fans in America. MLS's expansion pattern has left huge segments of the American population (and lots of major cities) without a home side to tie them to the league. They have to be wondering if they're in danger of losing a lot of these would-be-fans to the EPL permanently unless they step things up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm wondering if this is more a response to the threat -- real or perceived -- from the enormous increase in exposure and coverage for the EPL in the US under the new NBC deal this season.

MLS has had the US soccer market to itself since it's founding, outside of the odd live match on Fox Soccer Channel (which most people didn't get) or Univision (which most people don't understand). With the NBC deal, there are live EPL matches on every weekend on both over-the-air television (NBC) and NBCSN (available in 70% of American households).

I can see how MLS would feel some pressure to up it's level of play (players) and exposure level (expansion) to remain the first outlet for soccer fans in America. MLS's expansion pattern has left huge segments of the American population (and lots of major cities) without a home side to tie them to the league. They have to be wondering if they're in danger of losing a lot of these would-be-fans to the EPL permanently unless they step things up.
    I think it has more to do with Toronto tired of being terrible. They brought in Tim Leiweike for a reason and this is it. I don't know if it will work, but it can't hurt.

I can understand the move from Bradley's prespective. That is a lot of money and he can probably live a little more comfortable lifestyle and be one of the faces of the league. He's already a top player and just like Dempsey isn't going to forget how to play soccer because he doesn't play AC Milan twice a year anymore.

Hi guys. Hope everyone is well, not been on here for a while, but I thought Im come on and get your views on Oguchi "Gooch" Onyewu who has signed for my team Sheffield Wednesday untill the end of the season.

He looks a top player although im guessing injuries has made the bigger clubs not willing to give him a chance.

he will be guarenteed a 1st team place at Wednesday to start with as injuries have hit the centre half position.

so is he any good ?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...der-leaves-qpr

I always laugh at the Transfer market rumors.....twice as bad as any baseball ones.

Man U to buy this player and that player....from Atletico Madrid...who is challenging for La Liga, not just a Top 4 spot and was great during the QR of CL...but NO they are going to sell a 21 year old MF who is playing well for them to Man U. AM is not losing money, so maybe Man U needs to feed off the usual teams that just live to develop and sell players...which is just about half of La Liga or Seria A. The whole process is funny and a bad joke at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    Hi guys. Hope everyone is well, not been on here for a while, but I thought Im come on and get your views on Oguchi "Gooch" Onyewu who has signed for my team Sheffield Wednesday untill the end of the season.

He looks a top player although im guessing injuries has made the bigger clubs not willing to give him a chance.

he will be guarenteed a 1st team place at Wednesday to start with as injuries have hit the centre half position.

so is he any good ?

I'm not as well versed as many around here, but my impression is that he'll be a useful plug to fill in for injured starters, but he's probably not someone I'd bank on long term. He is definitely an imposing presence(and will be useful on corners offensively and defensively) but his quickness was never the best attribute and injuries have really hurt that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

so is he any good ?

He was once the best US center back but he tore his ACL in 2009 and has never been the same. He plays very tentative and his distribution frankly isn't good enough. He's still a big presence but sadly I think his best days are way behind him.

The fast pace of the Championship may test him. I think it's worth a gamble with him. He's fit at the moment and he believes he still has a chance of making the WC squad. This could be the carrot that pushes him to perform.

Will give you a report on his progress .

so is he any good ?

He's ponderously slow. Players with pace and/or skill eat him alive these days. I caught him live against Spain in 2011 and Gooch got abused. David Silva in particular made him look silly.

However, he still can shut down an aerial threat and he clogs things up. So he might not be terrible against direct teams as long as his defensive partners can cover for him when there's a quick counter. Odd player in that he goes from serviceable to a disaster dependent on the matchup. You'll know early on in a game how things will go with Gooch. If he looks bad in the first 15 minutes, you're in for a long day.

His partner at the back Glenn Looven is also slow. Not liking the sound of this.

Watching the Ukraine game right now. Think it's fair to say that neither Onyewu or Brooks is going to Brazil.

Turn Off Ads?