Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

What is the deal with Julian Green? Is he America's next best hope for a great player? Seems like he is a guy who may be more helpful 4 years down the road.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Was it legit players or subs playing the back line in the 2nd half?
    DeAndre Yedlin came in as as sub and actually looked better than the first unit had.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    DeAndre Yedlin came in as as sub and actually looked better than the first unit had.
    I like him a lot. I worry about his youth when we are playing Portugal and Germany, but I think he is a viable option. I love watching him play for Seattle.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What is the deal with Julian Green? Is he America's next best hope for a great player? Seems like he is a guy who may be more helpful 4 years down the road.
    Pretty much. He's a dual German-American citizen and a rising star in the Bayern Munich system, which is noteworthy since Bayern Munich is probably the best team in the world right now and he's only 18. It's a big coup for the U.S. that he decided to play permanently for our national team and not Germany's. But, like you said, he's not yet ready to be an impact player at the highest levels.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

There's a lot of chatter that his decision to play for the US was motivated, in large part, by an understanding/promise from Klinsmann and Gulati that he would make the final roster for the World Cup this year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There's a lot of chatter that his decision to play for the US was motivated, in large part, by an understanding/promise from Klinsmann and Gulati that he would make the final roster for the World Cup this year.
    They may well want to put him on the roster regardless of any promises made. It's my understanding that if he gets cappedfor an ininternational match, he's locked in to playing for the USMNT, but friendlies don't count. If he doesn't make the roster, and say his play takes off with Bayern, Germany could still call him up as long as he hasn't played for the US in a sanctioned match for international competition.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They may well want to put him on the roster regardless of any promises made. It's my understanding that if he gets cappedfor an ininternational match, he's locked in to playing for the USMNT, but friendlies don't count. If he doesn't make the roster, and say his play takes off with Bayern, Germany could still call him up as long as he hasn't played for the US in a sanctioned match for international competition.
    Nope he is tied to the US now no matter what. He had to file a one time switch and can't go back.

He is going to be in a competition with guys like Brad Davis, Brek Shea and Chris Wondolowski for the last spot or two. None of those guys are going to be major contributors, but all bring something unique that can be used off the bench, so just depends on what Klinsman wants.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Nope he is tied to the US now no matter what. He had to file a one time switch and can't go back.

He is going to be in a competition with guys like Brad Davis, Brek Shea and Chris Wondolowski for the last spot or two. None of those guys are going to be major contributors, but all bring something unique that can be used off the bench, so just depends on what Klinsman wants.
    I'll have to brush up on the rules then. I would think filing for a switch would only apply to players who are citizens of one country and become citizens of a new country. The rules on switching national teams were put in place to prevent wealthy oil rich countries from offering financial incentives to Brazilians to switch national teams. On the other hand, players with dual citizenship from birth could play for either country's youth team, but could choose to play for either national team at the senior level under the caveats that they had to have a meaningful connection to the country they wish to play for and playing a match in international competition for the senior team locks you in. Thus, you can have a player like Alex Zahavi, born in the US to Israeli and Portuguese parents. He has citizenship in 3 countries and has played for Portugal, The US, and Israel at the youth level. It's my understanding that he could still choose to play for any of those teams because he hasn't played on a team at the senior level yet. Likewise Jermaine Jones is able to play for the US even though he played friendlies the German National Team. Now I believe they have to get administrative approval from FIFA to ensure they're eligible to play for that team, but I don't recall a rule requiring a commitment to one national team before they've even played one match.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I will say that upon further review articles about Green's decision indicate he was required to file an international switch with FIFA, but don't cite the rule or when it came into being. So maybe it's a change from a previous rule. Or maybe the sources from where I heard the previous rule were mistaken. But I had always heard players eligible to play for multiple national teams were free to choose until they played a match in an international competition for one team or the other. It wouldn't surprise me either way, because FIFA under Sell Blather has a history of changing rules on the fly, which in turn leads to people who don't keep up with the rules getting confused.

I watched the New England Revolution absolutely annihilate Seattle tonight, 5-0. One quick USMNT-related thought: Brad Evans belongs nowhere near the final roster. He got torched repeatedly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Here's my roster:

Goalies: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    Defenders: Fabian Johnson, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Demarcus Beasley, Michael Parkhurst, Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron, John Brooks
    Midfielders: Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley, Alejandro Bedoya, Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Julian Green, Clint Dempsey, Mix Diskerud
    Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson, Terrance Boyd

No Eddie Johnson

I'm happy because Diskerud and Johannson are on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I'm happy because Diskerud and Johannson are on the team.
    This isn't the final team. 7 of these guys are going to be cut on June 2nd. Johannson won't be one of them but Mix will need to have a really solid camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Here's my roster:

Goalies: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    Defenders: Fabian Johnson, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Demarcus Beasley, Michael Parkhurst, Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron, John Brooks
    Midfielders: Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley, Alejandro Bedoya, Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Julian Green, Clint Dempsey, Mix Diskerud
    Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson, Terrance Boyd
    My only swap would be Beckerman for EJ, since EJ didn't make the 30-man roster. I could also see Chandler pipping Brooks for the final defensive slot. After watching them get abused last night, I don't want any part of the Seattle fullbacks.
    Last edited by M2; 05-12-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?