Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I will be happy to be most wrong and enjoy an I told you so from you by the end of the group stage.
    The Uruguay squad does look like it peaked in the 2011 Copa America. That's the last time Forlan was playing like a talisman. Still, I'd be more upbeat about the defense. Crossing the ocean for WC qualifiers surely took something out of Uruguay's top defenders. For the World Cup they won't be shaking off the effects of a transatlantic red eye.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just hope Rossi gets cut. Then my irrational hatred of all who betrayed Club and Country will be fulfilled

Check out the Men In Blazers World Cup Previews on Grantland.com. They are wonderful.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

5. Likes:

BillDoran (05-15-2014),westofyou (05-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I just hope Rossi gets cut. Then my irrational hatred of all who betrayed Club and Country will be fulfilled
    Rossi's from an Italian family and only ever played in the Italian national system. Hard to hold a grudge against him when it's clear he's always considered himself Italian. Also, the U.S. has got a roster teeming with players born overseas, so I wouldn't throw the "traitor" stone at Rossi. The one who really got away was Neven Subotic. He came up through the U.S. youth ranks and probably would have declared for the U.S. except Thomas Rongen decided to chase him away.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Rossi's from an Italian family and only ever played in the Italian national system. Hard to hold a grudge against him when it's clear he's always considered himself Italian. Also, the U.S. has got a roster teeming with players born overseas, so I wouldn't throw the "traitor" stone at Rossi. The one who really got away was Neven Subotic. He came up through the U.S. youth ranks and probably would have declared for the U.S. except Thomas Rongen decided to chase him away.
    Thus why I said Irrational .

Plus when he defected we weren't stealing guys like we are now. I just hate Rossi.

WOW! Donovan does not make the team. Can't say I disagree with this decision. But certainly surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

What a joke.

Wondo over Landon?

Not exactly a squad that strikes fear into opposition hearts. OTOH, the young talent has me excited for 2018. Donovan missing the squad just feels wrong, even if it turns out to be right.

There isn't a world that Landon Donovan isn't one of the best 23 players and honestly one of the best 11. This is a mistake and a pretty big one at that.

There isn't a world that Landon Donovan isn't one of the best 23 players and honestly one of the best 11. This is a mistake and a pretty big one at that.
    Yep.

Career WC goals. Donovan's 5 is more than Cristiano, Messi, and Van Persie combined

Donovan isn't as fast as he used to be, but he can still stretch the field. Who on this team can do that now?
    Green? Bedoya? There isn't a single player with any type of speed that I trust in a big moment.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

There isn't much of a chance to get out of this group anyway, but now the media will eat Klinsmann up for this decision.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 05-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Eh, I don't know that there's an alignment that makes sense for the US where Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore are all on the field at the same time. I doubt very much that Donovan would have been in the starting 11 for any WC matches -- his role would have likely been similar to Chicharito at MU this past season (off the bench offense at ~75'). I'm surprised he didn't make the cut, but not shocked.

As for Wondo, I made my feelings about him clear earlier in the thread -- I think he's got a little fox-in-the-box about him, and I like the idea of him being on the squad. He's a dice roll on a team that's going to need a lucky break or three to get out of group.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-23-2014),RedTeamGo! (05-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Eh, I don't know that there's an alignment that makes sense for the US where Dempsey, Donovan and Altidore are all on the field at the same time. I doubt very much that Donovan would have been in the starting 11 for any WC matches -- his role would have likely been similar to Chicharito at MU this past season (off the bench offense at ~75'). I'm surprised he didn't make the cut, but not shocked.

As for Wondo, I made my feelings about him clear earlier in the thread -- I think he's got a little fox-in-the-box about him, and I like the idea of him being on the squad. He's a dice roll on a team that's going to need a lucky break or three to get out of group.
    I suppose you could make a line up that didn't have Donovan in the 11, but even if that is the case wouldn't you rather have Donovan checking in the 70th minute than basically anyone else when you need a goal?

Davis is only useful as a starter because of his set piece abaility, and he isn't going to start. If you are going to have Wondo be the 3rd striker than honestly that role should have gone to EJ who is far more dangerous.

There is going to come in a moment in this tournament when you are going to need a guy who has been there before, and without Donovan that guy doens't exist. The more I think about it the more I hate this decision. I'm not going to root for an injury but Davis, Bedoya or Brooks pulling a hammy in one of these friendlies wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Colossal mistake. Even if you used him as a decoy or as a sub in the 80th minute to try and steal a point, you're not going to convince me that LD didn't belong on this squad.

Klinsmann just put a serious damper on my hopes for USA's chances at advancement.

USA needed to play a longshot or two to have hope of advancing out of this group of death. Just really disappointed right now.

Turn Off Ads?