Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

I'm assuming Donovan not making the team means Klinsmann loves what he's seeing from Zusi and Bedoya. I actually think cutting Goodson and Parkhurst is more surprising, and much riskier.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I just have to think that either Donovan's form or his fitness in training were in serious question. Either that, or JK is already putting a foot toward 2018.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm assuming Donovan not making the team means Klinsmann loves what he's seeing from Zusi and Bedoya. I actually think cutting Goodson and Parkhurst is more surprising, and much riskier.
    I wasn't actually all that surprised that Donovan got left off. He wasn't on the roster for WCQ and really hasn't been all that exciting when he's been on the roster. Wondo is pretty good at making things happen off the bench, but only as long as they misspell his name on the back of his jersey.

I was definitely disappointed to see Parkhurst left off, as he's done pretty well and plays smart. Keeping Yedlin, on the other hand, makes me think of your classic speedy guy on the wing who can run with the best of them, but gets easily turned around by the better caliber players. I can imagine Christiano Ronaldo making him look stupid.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

There is going to come in a moment in this tournament when you are going to need a guy who has been there before, and without Donovan that guy doens't exist. The more I think about it the more I hate this decision. I'm not going to root for an injury but Davis, Bedoya or Brooks pulling a hammy in one of these friendlies wouldn't hurt my feelings.
    Dempsey, Bradley, Beasley, Howard have all been there before. The only difference is that at this point Dempsey and Bradley are quite a bit more talented than Landycakes.

Yeah...this was personal.

I think it's because Landycakes abandoned his team in the middle of qualifying for 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think it's because Landycakes abandoned his team in the middle of qualifying for 4 months.
    We get it, you don't like Donovan

Donavon has been the best player on the USMNT for a number of years now. He was able to act the way he wanted to, a little flaky, do what he wanted, but in the end he was the best player on the pitch for the Americans. As he got older he wouldn't be able to do what he had been for the last 3 cycles. Donavon is 4 years removed from playing at the top level. If he would be a guy who may get 20 minutes a game playing time, wouldn't you rather see a younger guy get more experience?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Donavon has been the best player on the USMNT for a number of years now. He was able to act the way he wanted to, a little flaky, do what he wanted, but in the end he was the best player on the pitch for the Americans. As he got older he wouldn't be able to do what he had been for the last 3 cycles. Donavon is 4 years removed from playing at the top level. If he would be a guy who may get 20 minutes a game playing time, wouldn't you rather see a younger guy get more experience?
    He was the best player on the team from the Gold Cup through the end of Qualifying last year

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    We get it, you don't like Donovan
    I like Donovan, I just think "Landycakes" is one of the funniest nicknames I have ever heard and like to say it.

It has been reported Klinnsman was not happy about Donovan's sabbatical. That + being 32 years old and past his prime = not on the roster. Klinnsman is trying to build a program and he thinks having younger players on the roster is for the best in the short and long term. I am A-OK with this decision, and it has nothing to do with how I feel about Landon.

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-23-2014)

He was the best player on the team from the Gold Cup through the end of Qualifying last year
    The US didn't send their best players to the Gold Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The US didn't send their best players to the Gold Cup.
    No crap.

No crap.
    So he is the best player on US's B team, where does that get Donavon.

I almost look at it this way. US drew the group of death, a group they would be lucky to get through with Donavon on the team in his prime. He isn't going to be a starter and will get PT late in the game. I don't mind Klinnsman by passing Donavon for a guy like Julian Green who has worlds of potential, giving him WC experience, hoping that will propel the US forward over the next 2-3 WC cycles.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I imagine that this decision is motivated, in large part, by the fact that Jurgen has job security through the next WC. He probably knows that his side is somewhere around a ~25% chance of moving on, and he's got one eye on 2018 already -- he's bringing along kids like Yedlin and Green to get them exposure to the WC atmosphere and pressures associated with matches at that level.

Klinnsman coaching for his next contract probably doesn't leave Donovan off the roster.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

17. Likes:

dougdirt (05-23-2014),Hoosier Red (05-23-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I'm sure Klinnsman has probably never really gotten over Donovan bombing out w/ Bayern in 2009 when he personally requested to acquire him in the transfer window.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-23-2014),RedTeamGo! (05-23-2014)

Turn Off Ads?