Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'm kind of surprised nobody in this topic has said a word about Altidore yet, especially since Donovan was left off the squad. There has never been a worse PL player ever. And there have been bad ones.
    I did last year:

He had a total of 9 apearences with Villarreal and then he was loaned out to Hull City where he scored 1 goal in 28 appearences for a team that was relegated shortly after. Like I said, if he were good enough, EPL teams would have noticed when they were playing against him (I actually think most of his apperances were late in games, which is pretty sad) and would have attempted to sign him.

"playing" for upper level leagues is very relative, as he barely played and when he did he wasn't good enough.

I absolutely hope he plays well in the actual WC, but he won't be playing Honduras, Jamaica, Guatemala, etc in the WC.

Altidore had to go to the Dutch league because he couldn't cut it with the big boys.
    This was mid discussion, but I think my post sums him up pretty well. He is the type of player that dominates inferior competition, but when he plays good competition he is completely and utterly exposed.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For what my opinion's worth, Altidore seems to be pretty good as a target man -- big, athletic guy, can play with his back to the goal and hold off defenders until reinforcements arrive, win balls in the air, etc. That's worth something. But as a scorer, he leaves much to be desired.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    For what my opinion's worth, Altidore seems to be pretty good as a target man -- big, athletic guy, can play with his back to the goal and hold off defenders until reinforcements arrive, win balls in the air, etc. That's worth something. But as a scorer, he leaves much to be desired.
    I feel like he used to be a really good finisher, but he has been downright terrible since the EPL season started. As you said though, he's good at holding up the ball and getting it back to a mid fielder or out to a winger so that makes him pretty useful for the US.

Some very interesting information on the World Cup...

https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/arti...n=ph2-sp-tweet
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I feel like he used to be a really good finisher, but he has been downright terrible since the EPL season started. As you said though, he's good at holding up the ball and getting it back to a mid fielder or out to a winger so that makes him pretty useful for the US.
    His confidence is completely shot right now, IMO. He's looking to make the perfect strike v. just getting the ball on goal, and that's when he's actually looking to take on the keeper as opposed to making a pass inside the 18.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Getting psyched for the Cup

Fifa.. what is it good for?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...aged-world-cup

Did you know that the last time the World Cup was held in Brazil, in 1950, only 13 teams took part? England flew there: the flight took 31 hours, stopping in Paris, Lisbon, Dakar and Recife, and when the squad landed in Rio de Janeiro three men in gas masks stepped on to the plane and sprayed everyone on board with pesticide.
    Have you seen the Men in Blazers reviews on Grantland?

http://meninblazers.com/

http://grantland.com/?s=men+in+blazers

8. Likes:

BillDoran (06-05-2014)

The Men in Blazers are great!

I've been doing the Panini Sticker Album with my 7 year old. He's really getting into the World Cup.

http://2014fifaworldcupbrazil.paninigroup.com/home.html
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I believe that we will win.

(also I didn't like the fact that this thread was sitting on 666 posts -- hashtag superstition)
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Ghana guaranteed victory tonight

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, that's just a normal group of death. Wild prediction: Costa Rica's going to win one of its games.
    Also, hats off here for this prediction made day of the original draw.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I love klinsmann's answer in the post game about Dempsey's nose. He said he broke his own 3-4 times, it hurts, but he'll just have to deal with it. Dempsey's pretty tough to stay out there and it seemed to take a lot out of him, so they were really without their two strikers. My hats off to the team, dealing with the injuries, bending a lot, but not giving in. Early on, after Altidore went down, I really thought Ghana was going to crack the US left side, but Jones really stepped up his defense.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The US Ghana game did a 14 share in New York which was higher than the average New York Jets/Giants game.

I am also glad that the "you just don't get soccer" thing is going away. I am totally cool with a once every four year bandwagon. I want as many people watching as possible, not just the zealots.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-18-2014), Kingspoint (06-19-2014), M2 (06-18-2014), SunDeck (06-18-2014)

It occurred to me watching the 0-0 Mexico/Brazil game that it does take a certain amount of understanding to get it. And not just the game, but maybe the culture of it. Americans are used to straight forward win or lose games, and that's kind of the way our culture is as well; our national mythology is that you win or you lose, nothing in between. But the rest of the world is complicated, all those different languages, juntas and dictators, people who fight with their feet and head butt each other, and the diving which just strikes Americans as dishonest. And the referees joke around with the players and let them scream at them, where is the authority? Soccer is full of subtleties, nuances and variant styles. There is the beautiful game, tikka takka, total soccer, the efficient, organized german style, Italy's defense, etc. Soccer reflects the cultures of the world, none of which really hold our interest. So, a 0-0 tie in a tournament? I was thrilled with the game, but I think I could see how folks might wonder why that ever could be a good thing.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 06-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-19-2014), westofyou (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It occurred to me watching the 0-0 Mexico/Brazil game that it does take a certain amount of understanding to get it. And not just the game, but maybe the culture of it. Americans are used to straight forward win or lose games, and that's kind of the way our culture is as well; our national mythology is that you win or you lose, nothing in between. But the rest of the world is complicated, all those different languages, juntas and dictators, people who fight with their feet and head butt each other, and the diving which just strikes Americans as dishonest. And the referees joke around with the players and let them scream at them, where is the authority? Soccer is full of subtleties, nuances and variant styles. There is the beautiful game, tikka takka, total soccer, the efficient, organized german style, Italy's defense, etc. Soccer reflects the cultures of the world, none of which really hold our interest. So, a 0-0 tie in a tournament? I was thrilled with the game, but I think I could see how folks might wonder why that ever could be a good thing.
    You are on to something here. We tend to like thinking of things in black or white, all or nothing terms. Subtly isn't always our strength. We love good vs. evil in our movies. We vote Republican or Democrat. Capitalism vs. Communism. Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth. We love the us vs. them narrative. Now, our country is not ACTUALLY that simple, not even close. But, we like to simplify it into bite sized arguments we can handle.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

19. Likes:

Slyder (06-19-2014), westofyou (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    There's a great book out there, "The Ball is Round: A Global History of Soccer," that looks at the history of the game and details how certain styles developed in certain countries.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ball-Round.../dp/1594482969

I was watching ESPN's 30 for 30 series on the USMNT leading up to the World Cup and Klinsmann gave one interview where he provided his insight on how he has been trying to develop an "American" style and create an "American" identity for the USMNT. He basically said that the old "underdog" style of play employed by past squads was almost "Un-American" in that it involved a lot of sitting back and bunkering behind the ball and hoping for an opportunity to counter. His idea of an "American" style would be more of a high-pressure game in which the USMNT dictates the flow of the game rather than reacting to the other team on the field. I get it. But, I think they had difficulties in the Ghana match and allowed Ghana to dictate the flow of the game much of the time. I think part of that was due to Altidore's injury forcing them to adapt mid-game. I think the heat/humidity also had some effect on them. Hopefully, they'll be more accustomed to the conditions when they play Portugal, because I think if they let Ronaldo control the ball and dictate the flow of the game, I think Ronaldo will find a way to score.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?