Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the real Homer Bailey?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this the real Homer Bailey?

Quality starts in 7 of 9 games this year, and he no longer seems to wilt so quickly under pressure. The Braves are a very good hitting team, and he looked solid this evening.

Many argue that his biggest problem over the past few years has been health -- something he seems to have figured out this year *KNOCK ON WOOD* 6.7 Kd9 has me a bit worried that this is all a mirage though (I think even that number has seen an uptick over his last few outings though).

Thoughts? Is this a sustainable performance level for our favorite erstwhile elite pitching prospect? And is this as good as it gets for Homer?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: Is this the real Homer Bailey?

I've argued that Homer is a much better pitcher than his ERA has shown the past few years because of his strong K rate. His K rate has fallen pretty far, but his results have been slightly better so far this year. I'm a bit nervous that it's a mirage, because of the ratios, so I'm not thumping my chest just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I've argued that Homer is a much better pitcher than his ERA has shown the past few years because of his strong K rate. His K rate has fallen pretty far, but his results have been slightly better so far this year. I'm a bit nervous that it's a mirage, because of the ratios, so I'm not thumping my chest just yet.
    Ridiculously small sample size caveats understood, he does have 13 K in his last 12 innings, which would put the Kd9 back up in good company indeed.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

.500 record w/ a 4.19 earnie? Yes, I believe that is who Homer is and will be his entire career.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Most of that era came from one bad start against the Brewers. he keeps this up he'll be well over .500 and his ERA will be in the low 3's.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Most of that era came from one bad start against the Brewers. he keeps this up he'll be well over .500 and his ERA will be in the low 3's.
    3.42 ERA in every game except the Brewers game. Needs to avoid the 'Brewers game', but Bailey has been pretty darn good this year.

I'll take him every day as a #4 guy. Nice to see him finally getting some movement on that splitter. It all comes down to the fastball though IMO. If he stays healthy and gets that late season velocity spike ala 2010, this division will be staring at tail pipe all summer long.

I hope so , sadly because of the hype he is expected to do more but he is still very young and I want to keep him as a Reds fan.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I'm not worried about what he does beyond his next start. So far, so good. Do I expect him to win the Cy Young? No. As a fourth starter, he's doing pretty good. Will he ever be an ace? Nope.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I've been saying for a while now that I expect Homer to turn into a solid major league starter and remain one for a long while. I want to believe that this is what we're seeing now. I know he's pitched well at times before, but I think he's settling in now.

It's entirely possible that as Bronson ages, Homer will take his place as the dependable mid-rotation guy that keeps teams from falling apart.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Quality starts in 7 of 9 games this year
    This really doesn't have anything to do with Homer, but why is it considered a quality start when someone gives up 3 runs in 6 innings? A 4.50 era is almost garbage, not quality, especially with the league-wide era decreases in recent years. It should be 6 innings giving up 2 or less runs like Homer did last night. I don't get it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    This really doesn't have anything to do with Homer, but why is it considered a quality start when someone gives up 3 runs in 6 innings? A 4.50 era is almost garbage, not quality, especially with the league-wide era decreases in recent years. It should be 6 innings giving up 2 or less runs like Homer did last night. I don't get it.
    Probably because if you give up 3 runs in 6 innings you gave your team a chance to win the game.

I think also that it should depend on who you are playing. Holding a team like the Dodgers, Braves, Yankees, or Rangers to three runs over six innings is a far better start than holding the Pirates, Cubs, or Twins to three runs over six innings.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

From Wikipedia citing to this article- http://207.56.97.150/articles/qstart.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_start
    An early criticism of the statistic, made by Moss Klein, writing in The Sporting News, is that a pitcher could conceivably meet the minimum requirements for a quality start and record a 4.50 ERA, seen as undesirable at the time. Bill James addressed this in his 1987 Baseball Abstract, saying the hypothetical example (a pitcher going exactly 6 innings and allowing exactly 3 runs) was extremely rare amongst starts recorded as quality starts, and that he doubted any pitchers had an ERA over 3.20 in their quality starts. This was later confirmed through computer analysis of all quality starts recorded from 1984 to 1991, which found that the average ERA in quality starts during that time period was 1.91.[3]

I haven't watched a ton of homer pitching this year so I could be wrong but it seems like his fastball is sitting 90-92? I thought this was a guy who threw 94-95? Am I wrong did he never throw that hard or did he develop a cut fastball or something?

Turn Off Ads?