Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds in 1st place

Reds in 1st place

Cardinals lose 10-9. Reds in front of Central by .5

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in 1st place

The pitching staff (especially Latos and Bailey) should get most of the credit for the May surge.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Pitching, Defense and Solo Homers.

During the 6 game winning streak, the Reds have hit 13 HR with 10 being Solo HR.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-25-2012 at 03:50 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2 freakin reasonable hitters and this team can win it all aka reasonable hitters like Youklis and coco crisp like and return trade wise Stubbs and minor prospects and maybe Leake with some form of prospects coming back but hey I am drinking and just speculating.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The pitching staff (especially Latos and Bailey) should get most of the credit for the May surge.
    Don't forget Arroyo. He's been pretty solid this year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nice to see the Reds get back to 1st. They've been pitching outstanding and hitting for power (though not much obp). The important thing is to keep it up and keep getting better. And really, there's only one day where it matters who is in first place, so let's root for them to get there then.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    2 freakin reasonable hitters and this team can win it all aka reasonable hitters like Youklis and coco crisp like and return trade wise Stubbs and minor prospects and maybe Leake with some form of prospects coming back but hey I am drinking and just speculating.
    Trading Leake and Stubbs (plus prospects) for the likes of Crisp and Youklis would be horrible trades.

Crisp has a .420 OPS. And don't look know, Stubbs up to .693. And Frazier is at .887.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 05-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Trading Leake and Stubbs (plus prospects) for the likes of Crisp and Youklis would be horrible trades.
    He did say he was drinking, so I'll cut him some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Don't forget Arroyo. He's been pretty solid this year.
    Yes, he's been a constant. But the team W-L record really started tipping the right way when Latos realized it was May and Bailey just started pitching better.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Favorite post of the year.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes, he's been a constant. But the team W-L record really started tipping the right way when Latos realized it was May and Bailey just started pitching better.
    True. I just thought Arroyo's performance against the Yankees last Friday -- even in a loss -- was big because it saved the bullpen, which played a huge role in wins on Saturday and Sunday.

Part of the reason the bullpen was overused was Latos' inability to hold a 4-0 lead and go more than 6 v. the Mets last Thursday. But he bounced back nicely v. the Braves.

Bailey has looked solid lately ... really good performances.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's just amazing that we're on a 6-game winning streak ... and those wins have come against the Yankees and Braves.

A 6-game winning streak would feel great anytime against anyone. However, it is sweeter considering the fact that the Reds are beating good teams. (Well, one can debate how "good" the Yanks are this year, but it's by no means easy to win a series at Yankee Stadium.) Just gives me even more confidence that this team has what it takes to win the division and perhaps more. Does this team have flaws? Absolutely. But so does every team in baseball. If Walt can just make 1-2 really solid minor moves, it will be enough to push this team over the top IMO. And that's what's great about it. It's not like we need to trade for an ace pitcher to be competitive. To quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail ... "We've already got one." The Reds just need to make a couple of minor moves to improve the team (a legit left-handed bat off the bench, for instance) and we're going to be watching postseason baseball in Cincinnati.

Sitting in the airport in Dayton & I'm seeing tons of Reds gear today.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's just amazing that we're on a 6-game winning streak ... and those wins have come against the Yankees and Braves.

A 6-game winning streak would feel great anytime against anyone. However, it is sweeter considering the fact that the Reds are beating good teams.
    That is the difference between this team and 2010. It seemed in 2010 the Reds could never get anything going against good teams. If the team was pitiching their number 1 then they were beat. If the team had a record much over .500 they were beat. This team is reminding me more of the 1999 team which seemed to win every series. I like being in first in May, but my sorry "Cardinals fan" wife keeps telling everyone, who says something to me about the Reds being good this year, "Wait until July...the Reds always look decent in May." I think she is wrong this year....man I hope she is.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    That is the difference between this team and 2010. It seemed in 2010 the Reds could never get anything going against good teams. If the team was pitiching their number 1 then they were beat. If the team had a record much over .500 they were beat. This team is reminding me more of the 1999 team which seemed to win every series. I like being in first in May, but my sorry "Cardinals fan" wife keeps telling everyone, who says something to me about the Reds being good this year, "Wait until July...the Reds always look decent in May." I think she is wrong this year....man I hope she is.

And just like 1999, the Reds started very slow and caught fire in May.

Turn Off Ads?