Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Similar second basemen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Similar second basemen

Reds have four second base prospects that are very similar type players, all taken around the 3-5 rounds, all college players, similar physical builds. Between Valaika, Green, Lohman, and Wright, I have asked several scouts who have seen all four to compare the four. Universally, Green is thought to have the most upside because of his athleticism.

Reds are not exactly in the market for a second baseman, but you never have enough capable players from your farm system in the event of a need.

Puckett has also played a lot of second, but he is a totally different kind of player than these four.

Wright is on fire right now. Lets see how he progresses.

Re: Similar second basemen

Wright certainly upped his stock a bit but none of them really excite me. I've pretty much consigned Valaika to the decent sub type, hopefully Greene or Wright can be an average ML everyday 2nd baseman. We're spoiled by BP in what that actually is. For the next few years all the Reds need is a good solid substitute at 2nd for occasional play, I hope. These guys should be able to fill that bill inexpensively and capably.

Re: Similar second basemen

Question for me would be defense. How does Wright compare to the others on that front? I like Greene as a big league utility player, as he has played 2B, SS and the OF, and can steal bases, but so far Wright has played only 2B. He probably has the best bat, but to play in the middle of the diamond you have to play decent defense too.

Turn Off Ads?