Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Question

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Question

Reds need a LFer and 3Bman on the major league club. Why don't they find another major league club that may be stacked in their minors with OF and 3B talent that are blocked by their major league club, but in need of positional top talent available in the Reds farm system?

Seems like the way to go if they can make it happen. Obviously harder than I think it would be.

Another question. Baseball Reference.com has a minor league section that includes Mexican Leagues that have no major league affiliate. Is there something wrong with these leagues? Are the stats misleading? Cause on the surface, some of these players have pretty good stats which make you wonder why some major league team doesn't sign them to their farm system.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-27-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question

The problem with third is that there aren't a whole lot of situations where there's a blocked player. There's a general dearth of good third base options around the league, and the blocked prospects that can't force their way through are generally capable of learning another position (it's generally a lot easier to ask David Vidal to learn left field or second base than Yonder Alonso).

How many guys are well and truly blocked anymore with free agency and trades because of salaries? I think its very, very few that have a Votto-like situation in front of them and are incapable of learning another position. Plus, I think most teams would rather develop players until they are at the cusp, then if they're presently blocked, trade them at peak prospect value as "near-ready" talent for a critical need for the big team.

The Nationals are one team where 3B is blocked in a Vottoesque manner. The Jays, Royals, Rays and Mets will likely be that way soon as well. The Mets and possibly Rays may have an opening in LF but the other three teams are blocked there as well. That would be a good place to start.

Red Sox, Yankees and Marlins could be the next three teams with blockages, although they could always shift a prospect to LF.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

If I was going to go after a another team's minor leaguer - a realistic shot - to solve one of the 2 problems, cleanup or leadoff, as well as LF/3B, I'd go after Daniel Robertson of the Padres. Good gap power. Great BA and OBP throughout minor league career, straight progression to AAA without well defined improvement curve. Rarely strikes out. Not too old or too young, shouldn't be overwhelmed anymore yet he's not past due. Since he's not a power hitter or one of their prime prospects he shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I think he'd be worth a shot to solve left and leadoff although admittedly he'd be a different type of left fielder with little home run power. But he's a high OBP/low strikeout hitter which the Reds desperately need, minimum salary, able to fill in centerfield, too. With the power the Reds have in left and center and at 2nd I think they could afford him in left field.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Mexican leagues are known for being very hitter-friendly. All of the offensive numbers must be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Turn Off Ads?