Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bob Ojeda and his left arm

Bob Ojeda and his left arm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/sp...mX9eI5gAET1bsQ

Long piece from the New York Times.

Pitchers and their arms go through hell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Ojeda and his left arm

This is one excellent article. Would recommend it to all baseball fans, especially those who saw Ojeda pitch.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Great stuff. What's sad is, most guys that have jacked up mechanics but somehow find a way to adjust to throw strikes end up just like Ojeda. Kinetically it's simple to throw a baseball properly and without pain. What I find strange is that very few people can teach it.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

That was one helluva read. That's the inside stuff the fans never hear about.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Great stuff. What's sad is, most guys that have jacked up mechanics but somehow find a way to adjust to throw strikes end up just like Ojeda. Kinetically it's simple to throw a baseball properly and without pain. What I find strange is that very few people can teach it.
    And even if they could, people resist it. It is tough to break old habits and the guys who can probably teach it aren't teaching in little leagues, high schools or colleges.

Nice article. I forgot Ojeda was on the boat where his teammates were killed.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For some reason a story about a pitcher who threw a screwball so much that it basically jerked his arm reverse and he cant even sign his name any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And even if they could, people resist it. It is tough to break old habits and the guys who can probably teach it aren't teaching in little leagues, high schools or colleges.
    Agreed. I know what I teach is right and probably the reason I throw BP 4-5 days a week and have zero pain.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would say most youth coaches really don't know proper pitching mechanics. And even if they do, there are many dads who mess with what they teach the kids when throwing in the back yard. And at the high school level, many coaches are more concerned with winning titles then making sure the kids can move on to the next level with a healthy arm.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I would say most youth coaches really don't know proper pitching mechanics. And even if they do, there are many dads who mess with what they teach the kids when throwing in the back yard. And at the high school level, many coaches are more concerned with winning titles then making sure the kids can move on to the next level with a healthy arm.
    Add college coaches to that as well. Pitchers are abused at nearly every level of competition. Truth is, throwing a baseball repeatedly is not a natural motion and causes a lot of wear and tear.

Turn Off Ads?