Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NL Rookie of the Year?

Re: 2012 NL Rookie of the Year?

I do like Bryce. I actually have heard some things about him that kinda made me think he is kind of a "jerk" but these things are from even before he was eighteen and almost all of us had a lot of growing up to do at that age. I like the way he plays, he doesn't ask for the attention and I truly hope he has an outstanding career.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why would you hope something like that happens? Because you perceive him as a jerk? If someone thinks I am a jerk, and I am sure there are plenty who do, should Chapman drill me with a 106 MPH fastball?
    Nah! For you, we were thinking more like the 93 MHP vehicle he was driving.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I do like Bryce. I actually have heard some things about him that kinda made me think he is kind of a "jerk" but these things are from even before he was eighteen and almost all of us had a lot of growing up to do at that age. I like the way he plays, he doesn't ask for the attention and I truly hope he has an outstanding career.
    No doubt Harper was reported to have acted like a jerk up until his call up to the majors. However, he's muted his arrogance and ego significantly since then. Hard to find fault with the way he's acted so far.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

If Frazier considered a rookie any more?
    Most Vottomatic Player

I believe he still has his rookie status so at this point the leader may be;

Wade Miley- Arizona he is 6-1 with a era of 2.31.

For the Reds, it could be argued that Hoover has been the best Rookie so far.

4 NL Rookie have enough PA's to qualify in the batting ave race.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...OPS/order/true

And 3 in the ERA race
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchin...nl/order/false
    Last edited by klw; 05-27-2012 at 08:04 PM.

If Yonder Alonso keeps up doing what he's doing, I think he will probably get it in the end.

Unfortunatelly, Lance Lynn doesn't qualify for this award because he technically isn't a rookie.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've yet to see any arrogance out of Harper at the MLB level. I love watching him play.
    Me either. Yes he did some jerk things in the minors but that's in the past and time to forget about it. He's been great in the majors. I like to watch him play. He goes all out all the time. If you can't like that then you can't like much about anything.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Me either. Yes he did some jerk things in the minors but that's in the past and time to forget about it. He's been great in the majors. I like to watch him play. He goes all out all the time. If you can't like that then you can't like much about anything.
    Im far from a scout but Harper's swing would really concern me as a Nats fan. It kinda reminds me of Heyward's and I wonder if he will have the same type of path as Heyward. Its almost as if his wrists aren't fully cocked before the pitch is delieverd. I wonder what adjustments he will make once the pitchers begin to find his weakness.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I like Heyward's swing because it reminds me of Fred McGriff's. The Braves would probably be happy with 493 career home runs out of Heyward, and I think the Nats would be happy with that many home runs out of Harper.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think it'll be Harper running away.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Harper will win in a landslide unless he just falls flat and I don't see that happening the way he's started out.

You don't think Alonso has a chance?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Not really. I think he'd have to be simply unbelievable to overcome the hype vote that Harper's going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    You don't think Alonso has a chance?
    I really like me some Yonder Alonso and I think if he were playing just about anywhere but Petco, he would be in it, but he has 1 home run and it is the end of May. You aren't going to win the ROY as a first baseman with that kind of power, even if you are on pace for 50+ doubles.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I really like me some Yonder Alonso and I think if he were playing just about anywhere but Petco, he would be in it, but he has 1 home run and it is the end of May. You aren't going to win the ROY as a first baseman with that kind of power, even if you are on pace for 50+ doubles.
    There have been a couple first basemen to win the award with less than 10 home runs (Chris Chambliss and Mike Hargrove come to mind), but if Bryce Harper keeps up his pace, no one else in the NL stands a chance. What's killing Alonso isn't his lack of homers so much as his lack of runs and RBIs. Then again, if Albie Pearson can win Rookie of the Year, maybe any rookie can.

Turn Off Ads?