Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryson Smith

Bryson Smith

Blistering pace over the past 10 games at .469 (through 3 AB today) and now at .345 with a a .902 OPS. He hit the ball very well last year too. Why is he never talked about as a top prospect? I know the California League is a hitter's league, but those are very impressive numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryson Smith

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Blistering pace over the past 10 games at .469 (through 3 AB today) and now at .345 with a a .902 OPS. He hit the ball very well last year too. Why is he never talked about as a top prospect? I know the California League is a hitter's league, but those are very impressive numbers.
    I'm with you. In a year where a ton of position prospects seem to be going backward, Smith is one (along with Lutz of course and possibly Fellhauer and maybe Kurtis Muller) who is moving forward. I hope he keeps producing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Really there are only two things with Smith that keep him back right now. First he is a 34th round pick so there is no real expectations for him. Second he has only played in Billings, another hitter's league, and the Cal League where averages are crazy - but even for those leagues his numbers have been good. The kid has done nothing to hurt his stock for sure. His Fall league numbers were great, too. If he finishes off this season with anything like his current numbers he'll pop through that barrier and get plenty of notice. The real test I think will be when he moves on to a more neutral or pitcher friendly league and faces a higher level of pitching in addition.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Really there are only two things with Smith that keep him back right now. First he is a 34th round pick so there is no real expectations for him. Second he has only played in Billings, another hitter's league, and the Cal League where averages are crazy - but even for those leagues his numbers have been good. The kid has done nothing to hurt his stock for sure. His Fall league numbers were great, too. If he finishes off this season with anything like his current numbers he'll pop through that barrier and get plenty of notice. The real test I think will be when he moves on to a more neutral or pitcher friendly league and faces a higher level of pitching in addition.
    Agreed. Wonder how soon that happens. I'm guessing not this year unless its real late. Personally, I'd push him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

This may be early, but would Heisey be a good comp for Smith? Probably a ceiling for him but also kind of a comp?

Not that he's the same player, but do you all remember when everyone was excited about Danny Dorn? I'm not saying anything definitively about either player, but when it comes to guys drafted after the first 15 rounds or so, it's hard for me to get excited unless they have glowing scouting reports or some prolonged success in the high minors.

Not that he's the same player, but do you all remember when everyone was excited about Danny Dorn? I'm not saying anything definitively about either player, but when it comes to guys drafted after the first 15 rounds or so, it's hard for me to get excited unless they have glowing scouting reports or some prolonged success in the high minors.
    The main difference between Dorn and Smith, IMO, is that Smith can defend. He's a centerfielder, not a corner guy, meaning that if he hits he can perhaps become a 4th-5th OF at the major league level, a guy capable of playing all 3 OF spots. Some speed, some defense -- tools Dorn lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    This may be early, but would Heisey be a good comp for Smith? Probably a ceiling for him but also kind of a comp?
    In Heisey's first year (245 AB), he hit .286 with 6 HR, 37 RBI with a .762 OPS.

In Smith's first 239 AB's, he's hit .357 with 10 HR and 46 RBI, with a a .983 OPS.

I would say while the power numbers are somewhat close, Smith's other stats overwhelm what Heisey did. Consider that Smith's lowest OPS in any stint has been .890, over .100 better than Heisey's average OPS in his first two years. Heisey had two good years at AA, but at this point, to me it seems Smith is significantly better.

KD1476

Smith also played in the SEC ( Gators) facing tough competition. I thought I read he went lower because he had a DUI ( could be wrong?) plus he came out after his senior year and did not have the leverage ( draft) on going back to school. I could be wrong on all of this, but I am definitely excited about Smith and LaMarre as potential outfielders for our club. I would like to see Lamarre promoted to Louisville and Smith to Pensacola.

Does anyone think there's concern for Smith's ISO? I haven't researched it yet, but a lot of his OBP and SLG seem to be singles-driven, and I don't think that's very sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Does anyone think there's concern for Smith's ISO? I haven't researched it yet, but a lot of his OBP and SLG seem to be singles-driven, and I don't think that's very sustainable.
    Good point Cam. You're always on top of things like that. This is why I don't get excited about prospects too much, though, until they at least get to high A/AA and sustain successful numbers at those levels. THEN they may be worth the excitement. At these levels he's playing in hitter's leagues, going up against a mixed bag of much younger HSers and collegiate guys from weaker competition conferences, and raw pitchers, and about a dozen other factors that can influence the numbers. What I DO like is that given his age, level of play in college etc he is doing exactly what he should doing at this level. Excelling.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    watch him twice in the college WS, he reminded me of Heisey with a little more contact

Still only 15 XBH, but only 33 K's. He makes a ton of contact obviously. Hit his first AA HR today.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Still only 15 XBH, but only 33 K's. He makes a ton of contact obviously. Hit his first AA HR today.
    A very wind aided HR tonight.

The Wahoos park isnt playing how it was expected. This is the time of the year that balls hit squarely on a hot, humid day should be going out of the park.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Wouldn't it seem like a major league club would want their minor leaguers playing in ballparks that were as neutral as possible so that they could more properly evaluate them?

Turn Off Ads?