Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baker on using Chapman

Baker on using Chapman

“We didn’t want Chappy to go that long and that many pitches (25), but that was the best matchup at the time,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
    Says it all.

Dusty's in a contract year, and he's got a shiny new closer. Tell me I shouldn't worry.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Baker on using Chapman

"Chappy?" Seriously?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm about winning games. I think Chapman should be given plenty of opportunities for two inning saves to be honest with you. He's 24 years old. He can throw 25 pitches 3-4 times a week.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Haunted by walks

I think he's just showing the flexibility we've always wanted to see in him.

And he's always been that way with the names: Leakey, Brucey, Ludwicky, Ondruseky ...

I'm less worried about how many innings he goes per game as a closer and more about how many days he pitches a week.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think he's just showing the flexibility we've always wanted to see in him.

And he's always been that way with the names: Leakey, Brucey, Ludwicky, Ondruseky ...
    ... Heiseyey, Baileyey, Brayey...
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I'm not seeing the problem?

He said he isn't crazy about it but recognized it was the best move. Isn't that what we want?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I have no issues with his use so far.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    ... Heiseyey, Baileyey, Brayey...
    I think he calls Bailey "Homey" and Bray "The Braymeister" ...

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2-inning save.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think he calls Bailey "Homey" and Bray "The Braymeister" ...
    I thought Bray was "Big Daddy Bray".

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, so far, I'm okay with Bakey. He seems to have more urgency to make a change this year than in year's past. I used to see the wheels fall off and Bakey was playing with his toothpick on the steps of the dugout conceding the loss instead of doing something to stop it.

I like the new Bakey.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I absolutely LOVE how Dusty used The Missile today. The biggest moment of the game was when CarGo and Tulo came up in the 8th. Chapman blew Gonzalez away with a man on third and one out ... then got Tulo to pop up. Threat over.

Big deal he threw 25 pitches. That's one inning of work for a lot of closers. Coco used to rack up 25 pitches per inning when he was the closer. It's not like Dusty would have left Chapman out there for 45 pitches if he was struggling. Having Chapman go 1.2 innings today was definitely the right move.

Now his flexibilty is a problem? Now he does something we all wish more managers would do....that is use their best arm in or when the high pressure situation is, even if it is early in the 8th.....but of course it's a contract year so there must be something to it.

I am worried too that Baker will think he has a LH Mike Marshall now and pitch him 2 innings every day.

He has been using him basically every other day. Hardly even 2 days in a row.

Dusty also said he probably wouldn't use Chapman tomorrow, which I infer to mean that Sean Marshall and Logan Ondrusek will handle closing duties on Monday.

I like it. It's a very 80's way of using the pen.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?