Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Splits

Splits

Let's take a look at some offensive stats and splits...you can take the word "offensive" any way you wish. This does not include today's game.

NL Ranks:
    13th - OBP .308
    13th - AVG .242
    7th - OPS .720
    14th - K/BB 2.64

Road Only
    10th - OBP .303
    10th - AVG .237
    10th - OPS .682
    12th - K/BB 2.75

Minus Votto - All Games
    .233 / .287 / .390 / .677
    K/BB 3.35

That line above is pathetic. I think that is the best way to put it. The bottom line is that even with playing half our games at GABP, our overall numbers are BAD. We are barely top of the pack in runs scored at home. So it's not like we are dominating offensively there.

Something has to be done or else we'll be wasting our good pitching (that sounds weird to say, but refreshing.)

Overall, I'd say this is a better problem than having no pitching. Though I think our pitching depth is a problem too, but that's for another day.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the good news.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Splits

Think Home/Road is bad? Get a load of vs L and vs R. The Reds run a string of below .320 OBPs out there against RHP on some days that is astounding.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds run a string of below .320 OBPs out there against RHP on some days that is astounding.
    .320 OBP is above our averages, so that is good...sort of.

OBP vs, RHP

Heisey, Bruce and Mesoraco = .315
    Stubbs .297
    Frazier .293
    Cozart .269
    Ludwick .268
    Rolen .254
    Cairo .182 (before today)
    Haris .135
    Costanzo .071

Votto, Hanigan and Phillips are the only acceptable OBPs and in past years Phillips really hasn't been. All a righty needs to do is have a little break in his pitches and pitch around Votto.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Against LHP, OTH, Votto, Hanigan, Valdez, Cozart, Ludwick, Frazier and Heisey all at .333 or above. Even Stubbs is at .306 and climbing.

Back in the day I read a book called Mind Game, it was about the '04 Red Sox and how they had constructed a lineup of well rounded hitters. It was a very good read, and taught me quit a bit about how they succeeded. Whether it was intentional or not is sort of irrelevant, as they had a collective nine hitters that would not be "awful" against a certain type of pitcher (Finesse vs. Power, LHP vs. RHP, etc.).

Unlike "Money Ball" that conveniently ignores a nasty pitching staff amongst other things, Mind Game really harps on the role players that were picked up that weren't high end FA, like a Bill Mueller type.

Here's the link for those intersted or at least want to know what I'm referencing.

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Game-Crea.../dp/0761140182
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 05-28-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Against LHP, OTH, Votto, Hanigan, Valdez, Cozart, Ludwick, Frazier and Heisey all at .333 or above. Even Stubbs is at .306 and climbing.
    The Reds had only a .702 OPS vs. lefties after forty games. Very weak for them.

They have exploded against LHP in recent games. Two homers v. CC. Four homers vs. Minor. Four homers vs. Moyer.

With fewer plate appearances against lefties, the numbers are volatile this time of year and now, suddenly, the Reds are second in the NL in OPS against lefties. This is in keeping with last season when they led the league.

So now we are back to the usual -- team destroys LHP but needs more offense against righties. .698 OPS before today's debacle against RHP.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.

FYI, the Dodgers are 2nd in the NL in OPS at .759.

Reds last homestand did wonders for certain stats. Team now has a .760 OPS at home. On road, was .682 before today, when it undoubtedly declined some more.

Turn Off Ads?