Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Build a better bench

Build a better bench

So we tried Willie Harris and that didn't work. Costanzo isn't any better, and Wilson Valdez is useless with a bat. So putting aside acquiring an everyday type of player, what guys on the fringe or perhaps on the outs due to roster crunch with another organization would you look to acquire? I'd drop Costanzo and try to find at least a guy who can catch up to ML pitching and play solid D, like a Sean Burroughs or Ryan Langerhans. Valdez pretty much needs to go too.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Build a better bench

I remember when I liked Valdez because he wasn't Janish.

I want Janish back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Mark Kotsay.

Truthfully though, Frazier and Heisey should make this team's bench strong but when you take solid bench guys and make them starters you get low OBPs who are exposed in the line-up and a weak bench to boot.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

mth has a valid point. When you have a 4th outfielder and a utility infielder playing starting roles everything just weakens downhill from there. Heisey and Frazier would be tremendous in their proper roles.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Truthfully though, Frazier and Heisey should make this team's bench strong but when you take solid bench guys and make them starters you get low OBPs who are exposed in the line-up and a weak bench to boot.
    Yeah. You couldn't ask for a better fourth OF/pinch hitter than Heisey. As a starter.....meh.

Harris gets picked on but I can see taking a flyer on him. It's Ludwick that didn't make much sense -- we already had our share of Ludwicks.

I'm not opposed to bringing Willie back, but right now he's hitting .193 at Louisville so he's not exactly knocking down the door.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Today's game naturally brought these thoughts to my mind as well. I don't know what the answer is, but if there's someone out there who is decent, this team desperately needs to go after him. Or her, even. I'm not picky, and I know several girls who can hit better than Valdez.

btw, when the Reds picked up Valdez, my first post was "Is her even better than Janish?" not meaning that I was happy with Janish, but rather that I was afraid that Valdez was who he is.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Maybe Scott Rolen can anchor the bench better then he can anchor the every day 3B job.

It's stunning to think that absolutely no Red has outperformed expectations this year from a hitting standpoint.

Stunning.

The Cards are flush with overperformers. What is the difference?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    It's stunning to think that absolutely no Red has outperformed expectations this year from a hitting standpoint.

Stunning.

The Cards are flush with overperformers. What is the difference?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

You may be on to something.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah. I'm really frustrated with this offense. It's either HR's or bust. They cannot manufacture runs to save their soul. And to read Votto's leading in this and that but has no one on base in front of him to knock in makes it even more frustrating.

I think Dusty has handled the bullpen better this year but his lineups are still headscratchers. You'd think he'd try something different every once in awhile to get things going but he doesn't. And then factor in his past quotes about guys clogging up the bases and OBP being overrated, etc............and it gives you little hope.

Geez, I'd trade Stubbs, Ludwick and Heisey right now for Melky Cabrera and Dejesus, and their higher OBP's. This team has too many low contact, big power guys, and nobody to simply get on base. Or if they have no power, they can't hit much to begin with. Frustrating.

I think this has alot to do with the fans not completely buying into this team even though they're in first place. Cardinals have the pitching and hitting. Reds have the pitching with an all or nothing hitting.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Dump Costanzo and bring up a 3rd catcher (Corky). That gives you another potent bat on the bench in Mesoraco/Hanigan when they're not starting.

He's only hitting .235 in Louisville, but his OBP is .367. Certainly better than what Costanzo, Harris, etc would be giving us. Plus you get the 'stach for the ladies. :O)

Turn Off Ads?