Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Prospect Likely Available?

Re: Best Prospect Likely Available?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Just curious. Are you basing your take on a high school pitcher based on an expected hold-out or because they're likely to shut them down. Do you think the change in the bonus rules will preclude long hold-outs? I think there's a possibility that more high school draftees, particularly in the later rounds, will eschew signing and head off to college instead. The days of grabbing some younger players late in the draft and overwhelming them with higher bonuses are likely a think of the past.
    Yeah, I think a team that takes a committed HS player in the lower rounds is basically punting because they can't overpay the slot without messing up their other picks. Of course, if you don't sign a couple of your top picks...so a team might pick one or two guys like that as a "fallback" plan if they think their first or second rounder is going to be a really hard sell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yeah, I think a team that takes a committed HS player in the lower rounds is basically punting because they can't overpay the slot without messing up their other picks. Of course, if you don't sign a couple of your top picks...so a team might pick one or two guys like that as a "fallback" plan if they think their first or second rounder is going to be a really hard sell.
    It's certainly going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I think one of the Reds strengths in recent years is grabbing some of these guys in the later rounds and wooing them with over slot money. I think we have a good handful of surprises that they ended up signing in the last three years or so.

Others have said this, but I'm not sure this new rules for the draft will help us over all. Hopefully not, but we'll have to see.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If you're looking for a high ceiling position prospect at 14 Trey Williams could be the guy. High Schooler with maybe the highest overall ceiling of all the corner infielders. 5 tools, should stick at third. I wouldn't be disappointed in him as the pick.

Turn Off Ads?