Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitting prospects?

Hitting prospects?

I've been trying to find some hope about having some hitters coming through the Reds system. I'm stunned when scouring the Reds minor league rosters....they don't seem to have any talent that will be ready on the horizon.

As an overall focus....it seems hitting is no longer a strength on our minor league rosters.

Can anyone provide any optimism in this area?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hitting prospects?

Henry Rodriguez has been a good hitter throughout his minor league career, and so far Ryan Lamarre has potential.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Reds have a decent prospect at most positions - as in a guy you can project to be a major league average player. That is good depth and overall strength but there are no "star" caliber position players unless someone really steps it up.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Draft some bats, maybe?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

What about those teenagers they signed a few years ago from the Dominican (I think)? Duran and someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What about those teenagers they signed a few years ago from the Dominican (I think)? Duran and someone else.
    Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez? They are struggling terribly. Both hitting near the Mendoza line...showing little power....defensive struggles too....slipping quickly into prospect oblivion...both still relatively young though

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Puckett can get going in Louisville he might not be a bad addition later in the season, especially when you consider how bad of a bench the Reds currently have. Dorn too, but he has struggled a little early on.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Rodriguez (3B, 2B), LaMarre (CF), Vidal (3B), Fellhauer (OF), Puckett (OF/UTIL), and Soto (1B) are about the only decent bats at AA or above right now. Soto is struggling in Louisville and doesn't have a position with the big club anyway. Gregorius is a great SS prospect, but is not know for his bat and isn't really doing much right now with the bat in AA.

I don't see much immediate help here other than maybe Rodriguez (who is hurt right now) and as I mentioned maybe a Puckett.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Rodriguez (3B, 2B), LaMarre (CF), Vidal (3B), Fellhauer (OF), Puckett (OF/UTIL), and Soto (1B) are about the only decent bats at AA or above right now. Soto is struggling in Louisville and doesn't have a position with the big club anyway. Gregorius is a great SS prospect, but is not know for his bat and isn't really doing much right now with the bat in AA.

I don't see much immediate help here other than maybe Rodriguez (who is hurt right now) and as I mentioned maybe a Puckett.

Hopefully just bad luck that 95% of the hitters in the Reds system are off to a bad start.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    it seems hitting is no longer a strength on our minor league rosters.
    Sure they just coughed up Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Francisco, Yonder, Grandal and Sappelt, but what have they done for us lately?

Seriously, Soto is 23 at AAA, but other than that I don't think there is anybody who is going to be real trade bait or an upgrade within the next year and a half.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Sure they just coughed up Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Francisco, Yonder, Grandal and Sappelt, but what have they done for us lately?

Seriously, Soto is 23 at AAA, but other than that I don't think there is anybody who is going to be real trade bait or an upgrade within the next year and a half.
    Are any of that list going to be OPS + big leaguers? Maybe Mes?

Let's hope it's a super draft to gain some sticks.

There are some good ones - pretty deep in power bats through our first round pick and a couple that may fall to later, too. I'm hoping.

Yonder and Grandal fer sure.

I think Todd Frazier is going to suprise folks the more he plays. I think he can be as good a player as Chris Sabo was. I know that's not enough for a franchise to hang it's hat on, but I think he can help a franchise even after arbitration kicks in.

Likewise, I think positionally, Cozart can be a real asset as well.

Cheers to that.
    While we're hoping How about Chris Heisey learns to hit a curveball and Drew Stubbs decides getting on base is the most important thing he can do?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

The only ones currently in the minors that could be relevant in the next 3 years IMO (could OPS > .800) are Donald Lutz, Henry Rodriguez, and David Vidal. Lutz is a 1B/LF type, and the other two are 3B. Rodriguez is a switch-hitter.

But you're right, there is nobody with significant offensive upside on the horizon. No Bruces, Vottos, Alonsos, or even Mez/Grandals. That is the main reason I'd like to see them draft some high upside bats on Monday- regardless of where they play on the diamond.
    Go BLUE!!!

Ken Singleton made an interesting comment during last nights Yankees and Angels game. He was talking about how there hitters who become better than minors numbers appear due to better pitchers being more around the plate while in the Minors wildness and inconsistent pitching leads to uneasiness at the plate for batters.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?