Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds leadoff spot OBP: .200

Reds leadoff spot OBP: .200

I knew it was bad, but .200? Wow. By comparison, the Orioles rank 29th in the league, with a leadoff OBP of .258. This is an issue that could derail a great season and needs to be fixed ASAP. Obviously Cozart and Stubbs aren't the answer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds leadoff spot OBP: .200

Cozart has been showing some signs of hitting there recently. I wish we'd stop trying to throw Stubbs there on occasion because his stats leading off are reallllllly bad. Well below .100 I would guess.

But yeah, it's a clear weakness on this team.

DatDudeBP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I knew it was bad, but .200? Wow. By comparison, the Orioles rank 29th in the league, with a leadoff OBP of .258. This is an issue that could derail a great season and needs to be fixed ASAP. Obviously Cozart and Stubbs aren't the answer.
    That's ridiculous....almost beyond belief

.59 worse than the next worst in baseball

lets say you have 6 decent hitters then 3 bad hitters.

id rather bat the best people 1-6 instead of spreading them out like dusty try's to do. yea you might be throwing an inning away but overall i feel we would hit more. i just can't stand when we get someone on and we have no hope.

In my opinion, Hannigan, Phillips, and maybe Cozart (I'm projecting here due to the fact that I think he handles the bat ok and can probalby make better contact than many others on the current roster) are the only legitimate options to hit in front of Votto. So, you could put Phillips batting lead-off. I think Phillips would be better hittng 2nd, rather than 1st, but he's the best option for lead-off at this time. Hannigan I think would fit better hitting 2nd than 1st. The problem then is who hits 4th. Of course, I think that it would need to be Bruce - but I don't think Bruce is an ideal 4th hole hitter for this team either. Bruce is likely to offer even less protection to Votto than Phillips, due to the fact that Bruce is just not that tough of an out. He's certainly dangerous, but not especially tough to get out. I expect opposing pitchers would still often pitch around Votto. Nevertheless, with the roster as it now stands I have to think that Phillips hitting 1st and Bruce hitting 4th is best. The rest of the lineup appears to me to be a collection of good to decent 6-8 place hitters.

The only guy who it really makes sense to put in the leadoff spot is Phillips, he has the speed, and power, and makes contact. I'm sorry to those who think that hanagin is a viable option to hit lead off because he isn't. He has never hit any higher than 7th or 8th in the order for an extended period of time so i just don't see it as an option but another guy who could maybe help is Heisey if you gave him enough chances just not against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    The only guy who it really makes sense to put in the leadoff spot is Phillips, he has the speed, and power, and makes contact. I'm sorry to those who think that hanagin is a viable option to hit lead off because he isn't. He has never hit any higher than 7th or 8th in the order for an extended period of time so i just don't see it as an option but another guy who could maybe help is Heisey if you gave him enough chances just not against lefties.
    hanagin can hit 4th tho

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    hanagin can hit 4th tho
    I was just about to say that. Now, I don't think you can move Phillips out of the 4-hole at this point but, if BP does move back to leadoff, Hanigan becomes your best #4 option barring a trade. He is their best contact hitter and teams are less likely to pitch around Votto when there is a low K guy next up.

I know he isn't hitting the best at the moment but he has been rather clutch so why not let Frazier hit 4th and move Phillips up to the leadoff spot?

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I know he isn't hitting the best at the moment but he has been rather clutch so why not let Frazier hit 4th and move Phillips up to the leadoff spot?
    For me, Frazier is too inconsistent to bat 4th. Also, kind of tough asking a young guy who is still learning how to hit at this level to bat in a key position in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    For me, Frazier is too inconsistent to bat 4th. Also, kind of tough asking a young guy who is still learning how to hit at this level to bat in a key position in the lineup.
    You could say the same thing about Cozart in the leadoff position.

hanagin would work great 4th imo. won't strike out much and can put bat on the ball.

If they aren't gonna move Hanigan up in the order then move him down to 9th, which is one spot closer to Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    You could say the same thing about Cozart in the leadoff position.
    I agree. But the reality is that, as long as BP is 4th (and right now he should be) Cozart is your only viable option there other than maybe Heisey and that is a BIG maybe.

Stubbs is terrible in leadoff and the thought of having Hanigan there is laughable IMO.

Turn Off Ads?