Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madson

Madson

Ryan signed with Cincy last winter hoping to parlay another strong season . Because of the syrgeryinto a LTC. Sadly, as we now know, things didn't work out that way. Because of the surgery, the market for him probably won't be as strong as he hoped. The Reds won't get any draft picks if he walks after this season.

If reports on his recovery are strong, would you want to a) offer him another one year deal? 2) offer him a discounted two-year deal (plus option) with the first one mostly incentive-driven? or 3) let him walk and go another direction for closer?

Personally, I'd try to keep around for at least one more season and finally move Chapman to the rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Madson

Maybe pick him up on the cheap and see where it goes. I guess that fits under option 2, but I wouldn't invest anything significant and definitely wouldn't count on him coming back as a viable closing option.

2 year 8 million deal plus a club option for 6 million in the 3rd year with a million buyout by the club.

He is likely only getting a 1 to 2 million next year. This way he has a guaranteed $8 million for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Maybe pick him up on the cheap and see where it goes. I guess that fits under option 2, but I wouldn't invest anything significant and definitely wouldn't count on him coming back as a viable closing option.
    This.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Agreed,

Let him come back next year as the 2nd, 3rd, man in the pen, get strong again, and then we'd have him as a closer for 2 years on the cheap...

2yr $10MM deal
    1yr $8MM club option

It'll take a decent deal to keep him around. Even with coming back from TJ a lot of people still underestimate what it takes to "make a deal". I'd be very surprised if he signs anywhere for less than that.

I'd be careful committing big money to a closer coming off TJ. Look at what happened to guys like BJ Ryan and Eric Gagne.

I'd give him a strong incentive-based deal (tie it directly to # of saves), and hope he feels like he "owes" it to the Reds to take that over guaranteed money, after getting $8MM to not play in a single game. If he gets eight-figures guaranteed, I'm happy to let another team take that kind of risk and see what Marshall, Arredondo, or even Simon can do in the role.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm not sure I'd bite on that. With the best pen in baseball, I think I look to spend some money on LF for next year. I let him rehab with another club.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be careful committing big money to a closer coming off TJ. Look at what happened to guys like BJ Ryan and Eric Gagne.

I'd give him a strong incentive-based deal (tie it directly to # of saves), and hope he feels like he "owes" it to the Reds to take that over guaranteed money, after getting $8MM to not play in a single game. If he gets eight-figures guaranteed, I'm happy to let another team take that kind of risk and see what Marshall, Arredondo, or even Simon can do in the role.
    I don't like that incentive, because then the Reds would be obligated to use him in every save situation, or else Boros would be griping nonstop about how the Reds are unfairly taking money out of his client's pocket. I prefer the flexibility of the current pen, with one primary (but not exclusive) closer, and two or three other guys capable of occasionally handling the job.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I agree with your statement completely Big Klu. However I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year based soley on my expectation that Chapman will be in the rotation.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Depending on the pay I would certainly like to see him return. If we're talking a big contract, though, or a multi year deal let someone else do it. Of course there are still a lot of dominoes to fall before I can make a blanket statement like that. A deadline trade of a couple of relievers might change the situation a bit regarding next years staff. Still, Villareal and Joseph are about ready for prime time, Bray and Masset will be back by then hopefully, so there is some depth. I can almost bet the Reds trade at least one reliever before the deadline. The need for at least a quality bench hitter is going to make a deal happen and that is the obvious strength and depth.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Any chance he sees some action, rehab or otherwise, this year? That would help assess how he could contribute in 2013.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I honestly don't think he's ever going to be close to what he was.

Let him walk. Find another guy (not named Chapman) that can get three outs in one inning, and get bona ride left fielder.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The thing is.......you see guys like Arredondo and Wainwright pick right up where they left off after coming back from surgery. Why can't Madson? And some guys come back throwing harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The thing is.......you see guys like Arredondo and Wainwright pick right up where they left off after coming back from surgery.
    Uh...did you see Wainwright earlier this year? And Arrendondo last year? They're not the greatest example of your point. It does take some time.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?