Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this make anyone else cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Home runs are the most over rated stat in all of sports. That being said Josh Hamiliton is the best player in baseball, and was involved in one of the worst trades in reds history. That makes me cringe.
    Yeah.....home runs are rally killers that never result in RBI or runs.....also meaningless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does this make anyone else cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    AL Home Runs

1 Josh Hamilton, TXR 21 HR
    2. Adam Dunn, CHW 16
    3. Edwin Encarnacion, TOR 16
    Only #1. The other two I am happy to be rid of.

1. Definitely hands down the worst trade in Reds history sans Robinson Pappas. Also without Latos we have Chapman in the rotation.

2. Lf problem solved, his bat would be VERY huge in this lineup.

3. Don't miss at all. No Scott Rolen=no 2010 division title. Plus I would much rather have Frazier anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Home runs are the most over rated stat in all of sports.
    There are many stats more overrated. However, I don't miss the Donkey. The homers were nice, but the fumbling around in left field and strikeouts were enough to drive me crazy. You combine him with Stubbs and I don't think I could watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    There are many stats more overrated. However, I don't miss the Donkey. The homers were nice, but the fumbling around in left field and strikeouts were enough to drive me crazy. You combine him with Stubbs and I don't think I could watch.
    Yeah Heaven forbid we don't miss someone that easily hit 40 hrs, 100 rbis, and scored 100 runs every year. Good riddance to a scrub like that, may as well send someone like that to an independent league cause 40/100 every year don't cut it in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Yeah Heaven forbid we don't miss someone that easily hit 40 hrs, 100 rbis, and scored 100 runs every year. Good riddance to a scrub like that, may as well send someone like that to an independent league cause 40/100 every year don't cut it in the majors.
    I never said others weren't free to miss him. I simply said I didn't. Not everything that matters in sport is tangible.

We get it. You like/miss Dunn.

RedsFanInBama is entitled to his opinion as much as you are. He didn't call him a scrub. He didn't say he wasn't a major league caliber player. He said that he didn't miss his poor defense (which it was) or the idea of his strikeouts coupled with Stubbs.

1. Yes it does. He is amazing. He was great in 2007 with us, but we desperately needed pitching, and at the time EV was solid. So yeah it stinks but like others have said we couldn't afford him and Votto.

2. The only things good about Dunn were his HR's and OBP, but his fielding and K's were hard to take alot of times. I can't even remember how many times the game was on the line and Dunn K'd.

3. If the E.E of 2006 was a great as the E.E of today then I'd be sad we traded him. But he was not good when we traded him for Rolen, and Rolen was great in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    We get it. You like/miss Dunn.

RedsFanInBama is entitled to his opinion as much as you are. He didn't call him a scrub. He didn't say he wasn't a major league caliber player. He said that he didn't miss his poor defense (which it was) or the idea of his strikeouts coupled with Stubbs.
    Yeah when you just look at Dunn's stats he looks like an awesome hitter, which he was sometimes. But a huge chunk of those HR's came when the Reds were either up big or down big. So often he K'd when we sorely needed a hit from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Yeah when you just look at Dunn's stats he looks like an awesome hitter, which he was sometimes. But a huge chunk of those HR's came when the Reds were either up big or down big. So often he K'd when we sorely needed a hit from him.
    That is flat out not factual.

Here is what's factual.

Dunn has 381 career HR.....27 were hit with a lead of 4 or more runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Here is what's factual.

Dunn has 381 career HR.....27 were hit with a lead of 4 or more runs.
    Plus, how many times has Dunn been on a team that consistently found itself ahead by at least four runs?

1. I wish we had Hamilton as much as anyone else, but it is simply unreasonable to get upset or blame anyone for him not being a Red today. At the time of his trade it was heavily in our favor as he was a high risk for the club. This has been talked about enough times on RedsZone I need not say more.

The case for Dunn is that those stats were HEAVILY weighted. For example, he might hit 2 HR in a game, driving in anywhere from 3-5+ RBI in the same game. But it was never that consistent. His good stats were concentrated among a small sample of games compared to the entire sesaon. A more extreme scenario would be hitting 40 HR and 100 RBI in one month, but spending the rest of the season striking out. By the end of the season, the stats all look the same however nice they are, but your team has still missed the playoffs because you lost 90 games

I do not miss Adam Dunn by any means. Not one little bit. It was great to have him while we did, but we are a better team without him. Had we made out better with the trade, no one would miss him today.

3. Wanting EE back is like Cleveland wanting Phillips back. At the time each player was dealt, the original team thought "good riddance". To have remorse at this point is silly and I wish EE very well. Your recent performance is wanted and envied, but you are not missed. No one wanted him back when we were in the post season because of Rolen.

Our team is what is it today because of these moves, and it is impossible to say we'd be better (or worse for that matter) without them.

takealeake

Hamilton? Yes. Dunn and EE? Heck no. Donkey was the worst player in MLB last year.

Turn Off Ads?