Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carlos Quentin?

Carlos Quentin?

Ok....these threads seem to be very trendy on here. The Reds all year have needed a right-handed bat to bat 4th and play LF.

Just recently the woeful Padres picked up Carlos Quentin and he is just killing it right now and on the fast track to player of the week....and he's playing LF.

Was he ever considered? (would've thought he would've been higher ranked than Ludwick?) Quentin's a bopper.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    In his 3rd game (sample size issues I know).....6 hits, 5 runs and 6 RBI

And he's been good recently, unlike Luddy.

Re: Carlos Quentin?

ehh he's too injury prone..

my guy i would go after for a left handed bat off the bench would be mark teahen, veteran guy who has played 3rd, 2nd, LF, and RF.. He's in triple A right now and i doubt it would take much to get him, it would solve our left handed bat problem somewhat
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.
    -Ted Williams

I don't think they recently just picked him up. He was acquired from the White Sox in an offseason trade and has missed up until now because of an injury.

Obviously anyone would rather have him than Ludwick, which was why the Padres had to give up a couple players to get him and we signed Ludwick off the street for $2 million.

Well, a few things. The Padres traded away two pitching prospects with a combined 12 years of club control for one year of Quentin. I just don't think the Reds would have been equipped to make that sort of move, especially after the Latos trade. The Padres have one of the deepest farm systems in baseball.

In particular, the Pads traded Simon Castro who started the Futures game in 2010 before taking a bit of a step back in 2011. Still, from the Sox perspective, he was a good "buy low" acquisition, especially given the number of years.

Another factor to consider is that Quentin makes about three times as much money as Ludwick, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison apples to apples.

He just played his third game after missing almost the entire season to date on the DL and 131 games is the most he has ever played in a season due to injury tendencies. He has great pop, but has been about a 1.5 WAR player for his career on average. Given his price tag in prospects and then the money owed to him, coupled with the expected return, I think he may have just been a little too rich for the Reds blood.

Sometimes you start a thread and learn something.

Thanks

6 games

5 HR

9 RBI

Could you give us 85 out of 105 starts at cleanup the rest of the year?

What would be the motivating factor for the Padres to trade Quentin? They just traded for him over the winter. The fact that they are out of the race already? Maybe.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

The more he hits the higher the price goes. I don't know his contract details or anything, but I assume he's going to be the big bat that a lot of teams want to go after. Whoever gets him will give up a lot.

Offensively.....if healthy, he is the piece we need.

I've wanted the Reds to go after Quentin for two years.
    By the trade deadline I can see him being the biggest bat available.
    Something like one of Soto/Lutz, JC Sulbaran and Yorman Rodriguez might be a starting point.

Put Ludwick in the clean up spot for 2 weeks and see how her performs. He is a pro and seems to hit better with RISP. Give him a chance before giving up.

Turn Off Ads?